2016 ISU Congress | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2016 ISU Congress

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? Am I dreaming or is somebody joking over this? :laugh:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Excellent news. But still hard to believe. I am waiting for the but...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
if anyone is interested... here appears to be the change on falls.

245. SINGLE & PAIR SKATING TECHNICAL COMMITTEE Rule 353, paragraph 1. n), part Fall Revise Single Skating points (only) as follows: Single Skating: -1.0 for the first and second fall, -2.0 for the third and fourth fall, -3.0 for the fifth and any further falls. Reason: to increase reductions for falls in Single Skating

not sure how often it would actually influence things as it has been. More than 2 falls is a bit rare. But it might be a nip it in the bud thing. There were no 3 fall programs at worlds this year for instance so the rule would not have had an impact.

The only skate I can think of with 3 or more falls off hand is Hanyu at 2014 Cup of China. So i decided to take a look

His free was 154.60 with 5 falls. Under the new system that would be 2 points for the first two falls, 4 points for the next two and 3 points for the fifth or 9 points total/4 more than he received. That would have put him down to 150.60 score which would still be ahead of 3rd in the free Misha Ge who had 149.82. For total score he had 237.55 so 233.55 with the new system. Bronze medalist Dornbush had 226.73. So it actually would not make a difference in either the final placements or segment placements.

So I am not sure how much of an impact it might really have. Do we see more falls at lower levels sometimes? I wonder how much of an impact it would have in that respect. If 3 fall plus programs are more common at lower levels it could shake up who goes to nationals on occasion... which would at least bread a culture of DON'T FALL which I guess is good.

I think the impact might be more psychological than practical, but still, not a bad change.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
More recent example: Anna Pogorilaya at NHK Trophy 2015. She had 3 falls in SP. And sometimes we see that places are determined by less than a point difference, so I would say it will have some impact, though maybe not very often. I agree that impact will be more psychological, but that's why I worry how knowing you lose more points will affect the performance...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
More recent example: Anna Pogorilaya at NHK Trophy 2015. She had 3 falls in SP. And sometimes we see that places are determined by less than a point difference, so I would say it will have some impact, though maybe not very often. I agree that impact will be more psychological, but that's why I worry how knowing you lose more points will affect the performance...

Anna was in last place with 47.35 points after the short. She would still be in last 4th place with 46.35 points.
Her total points were 164.63 - a 163.63 would still would have beaten Marico Kihara who had 163.19. Places are often determined by less than a point yes, but I don't know how often someone with 3 plus falls beats someone clean for a medal.

unless they mean over the course of the competition... that would be a headache but interesting.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The extra fall deduction is silly, especially since the tech panel determines what is called as a fall or not anyway and there are questionable cases at times. This is obviously an attempt by the ISU to not reward mistakes as much, but this won't really do anything. Bigger deductions for all noticeable mistakes on jumps is what needs to happen. Stepping out of the landing of a jump, putting hands down on the ice on the landing, etc, are bad mistakes but they don't result in a big loss of points in the current system.

You can actually make worse mistakes on a jump than simply the official definition of what a fall is. It's more of an accomplishment to get a jump all the way around and land on one foot and fall, than it is to barely rotate a jump, land on two feet, step out of the jump, and put your hands down on the ice all at the same time.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Bit OT but, Jeroen Prins... I've missed him this season. He used to provide the Dutch commentary on Eurosport for the figure skating events, but pretty sure most, if not all commentaries were done by another guy this season. I hope he returns to provide commentaries, he's so knowledgeable (especially Ice Dance).
edit: hhmm, seems he did do Euros. And of course he's done judging at competitions here and there. :laugh:
Anyway, can't wait to hear who will be the next ISU president. Only one more day until we find out.

Last edited: