2016 Nebelhorn Ladies FS | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2016 Nebelhorn Ladies FS

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Costume is pretty it suits her, but agreed. She needs different hairstyle

She should be Cleopatra head to toe and I don't think the real Cleo would wear a ponytail. ;) I wasn't sold on this program before, but I am starting to like it. Hopefully Mishin won't tinker with it too much, because it's a lot better than what she had last season. I don't think one fall is a big deal in her first competition of the season when hardly anyone else is clean...but it probably does sting a bit to come second to a girl fresh out of juniors. Oh well...congratulations to Mai!

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
2A (to be replaced with 3A at some point, I assume)
3Lz-2T-2L
3F
3T-3T
3Lz
3S-2T
2A

LRK

Record Breaker
She should be Cleopatra head to toe and I don't think the real Cleo would wear a ponytail. ;) I wasn't sold on this program before, but I am starting to like it. Hopefully Mishin won't tinker with it too much, because it's a lot better than what she had last season. I don't think one fall is a big deal in her first competition of the season when hardly anyone else is clean...but it probably does sting a bit to come second to a girl fresh out of juniors. Oh well...congratulations to Mai!

She wore ringlets, or so I believe...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She should be Cleopatra head to toe and I don't think the real Cleo would wear a ponytail. ;)

Cleo died over 2,000 years ago! How do we know if she would wear a ponytail or not?!

Don't worry, I'm just messing with you! ;) :)

CaroLiza_fan

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yay for Mai! :thumbsup: I'm a fan of her soft style and liquid landings. I hope she learns to project more to the audience, her skating needs a bit more "oomph" to stand out. She has all the technical goods, now she just needs a chat with Satoko on how to overcome inner shyness and skate with a bit more "ta-da!" :laugh:

I also love Mai's soft style and liquid landings. But I hope she doesn't take any hints from Satoko. I realized as I watched Mai skate today that she's all about expressing the music from the inside out, feeling it first and then projecting and communicating those emotions. Whereas Satoko is all business, IMO.

TGee

Record Breaker
It seemed very empty, with a lot of recycled movements. I would like to see her branch out.

I'm out on a limb here, but does anyone else feel that some of her hand and head gestures and shimmy movements are from Plushenko? They look different on a woman and someone with such strong femininity, but some of them became such iconic Plushenko moves that I see him in my mind when she does them and it distracts.

It may be a school of thought thing. I know Vaganova method ballet schools train students to imitate iconic moves and gestures. There's photos of students doing this at the school our children train at.

But I'm finding it is getting in the way of my seeing Liza for herself and the incredibly talented skater that she is.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
If there is one thing I REALLY agree with is Daleman's PCS being higher than Liza's! Thank you judges for a bit of fairness and objectivity :hap57:

Mai's 57, however, is clearly too high if compared with Amber's and So-Youn's 52 :slink:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do like the costume a lot, too!

The big question for me, however, is: why is she letting the loop out??? It has always been one of her strongest jumps, and she could easily do the 3S-2A as she used to and then put a solo 3Lo instead of the solo 2A. She didn't include it in her programs last season either, so has she suffered injuries involving that jump that I'm not aware of?

There was a discussion a few weeks ago about the 3Loop and how some women skaters have dropped the loop from their repertoire as they matured; that it can be hard on the hips. Not for everyone, of course, it depends on body type and probably lots of other things.

Just speculation. Actually I hope that isn't the case for Liza; I agree that it's a beautiful jump for her.

inskate

On the Ice
Cleo died over 2,000 years ago! How do we know if she would wear a ponytail or not?!
CaroLiza_fan

" According to busts carved during her lifetime, Cleopatra wore her hair in the Greek fashion—long hair wound up in a bun in the back.
(...)
But outside of mostly Greek Alexandria, it’s highly likely that Cleopatra donned the ornate ceremonial wigs we associate with Egypt—thick plaited wigs adorned with gold, turquoise, and carnelian or topped with a uraeus (snake) diadem. She also likely wore wigs during religious ceremonies and other official affairs of state. "

http://historywithatwist.blogspot.com/2010/08/did-cleopatra-wear-wig.html

;)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
" According to busts carved during her lifetime, Cleopatra wore her hair in the Greek fashion—long hair wound up in a bun in the back.
(...)
But outside of mostly Greek Alexandria, it’s highly likely that Cleopatra donned the ornate ceremonial wigs we associate with Egypt—thick plaited wigs adorned with gold, turquoise, and carnelian or topped with a uraeus (snake) diadem. She also likely wore wigs during religious ceremonies and other official affairs of state. "

http://historywithatwist.blogspot.com/2010/08/did-cleopatra-wear-wig.html

;)

Nice research! :agree: :bow: :clap: :points:

And, yet again, my attempts to be funny backfired... :slink:

CaroLiza_fan

Alex D

Record Breaker
thanks for the explanation. It's just that the story is only evident for those seconds where they are stationary on the ice and miming and does not carry out through the rest of the program. I prefer, if there is a narrative, that it is evident throughout the program, and integrated into the elements. JMO

I understand you don´t worry. ;) only trying to spread some positive vibes.

Where others have a heart, I have cotton candy :eeking:

But on a more serious note, I am super happy for the Japanese, Mai is such a fun character, so kind and hard working and Liza managed to get through too and she just looks like a million dollars in her Cleopatra outfit. Great skater and always calm.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Mai's 57, however, is clearly too high if compared with Amber's and So-Youn's 52
Why do you think that?

Not saying you're right or wrong, I haven't looked closely at protocols or rewatched performances. I just like to hear some kind of justification, and not simply use of words like "clearly", "obviously" etc... which are not really convincing...

Last edited:

yyyskate

Record Breaker
awwwwww, really nice effort from SoYoun!!:luv17::eek:: And much better new dress. glad that SoYoun listened to fan feedback:luv17: New dress' floating flower petal like shirt really suits the mood and character of music.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Why do you think that?

Not saying you're right or wrong, I haven't looked closely at protocols or rewatched performances. I just like to hear some kind of justification, and not simply use of words like "clearly", "obviously" etc... which are not really convincing...
I was referring to the comments I had previously posted about their performances, namely about Mai's program being too junior-ish and lacking sophistication with respect to transitions and to the range of expressions she employed: I felt the whole performance did come across as pretty and cute, but not as much else

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Didn't Sima train with Eteri? Maybe she got so used to Rippon all the jumps that it's hard to switch back. Maybe it'll just take time. Speculating of course.

She actually did Boitanos before going to Eteri and got Evgenia into it. I guess now that Evgenia is known for her Boitanos she switched to Rippons. According to Serafima its easier to jump with her hands over her head :sarcasm:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I was referring to the comments I had previously posted about their performances, namely about Mai's program being too junior-ish and lacking sophistication with respect to transitions and to the range of expressions she employed: I felt the whole performance did come across as pretty and cute, but not as much else
Hm. But PCS is judged according to such a huge array of critria... that even if I can (!) relate what you said above to specific criteria... and agreed with your asessment... I don't think it would be enough for "clear" discrepencies. (I mean, there are so many other aspects of PCS that are not covered by the things you mentioned).

I'm still neither agreeing nor disagreeing with you - just not convinced by your argument :-D