2016 US Classic + ChallengeSkate website | Golden Skate

2016 US Classic + ChallengeSkate website

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Lo and behold:
The official USFS website -- http://www.usfigureskatingclassic.com/ -- is back up and running for the 2016 US International Classic as well as Challenge Skate :cool:.

It is no small thing, considering that the site had been defunct since 2013.

Not a lot of U.S. Classic information there yet, but it bodes well that the site is live for 2016 at this early date.

(To be fair: When the 2015 US Classic and Challenge Skate in SLC were upon us, the USFS fanzone site did have a Competition Central page with lots of good content, including many videos of skaters reacting to their programs.)

Already available now is a full subsection for this year's 5th Annual U.S. Novice & Junior Challenge Skate -- including the Announcement and tentative schedule.
2016 Challenge Skate in SLC will encompass all disciplines.
(2015 Challenge Skate for pairs and dance was held separately in Colorado Springs at the time of the JGP there -- whereas 2015 Challenge Skate for singles was in SLC.)

BTW, embedded on the schedule page for Challenge Skate is a nice batch of sixteen "A Look Back!" photos. Direct link:

ETA

14 - 18 Sep 2016
Salt Lake City United States

Last edited by a moderator:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The Announcement for the 2016 US International Classic has been posted on the ISU event page (but not yet on the US Classic's own website).

ISU event page:

Announcement:

Per the Announcement:

- All Members may enter up to a maximum of 3 entries per discipline.

- Entries by names must be made not later than: Tuesday, August 16, 2016 – 20:00 h (local time Salt Lake City (mountain time)).

- EVENT SCHEDULE
Please note: This schedule is subject to changes and will be updated in accordance with the final number of entries.​

Tuesday, September 13, 2016: All day Arrival of teams

Wednesday, September 14, 2016
Afternoon Official practice (MEN, PAIRS)
TBA Team Leaders Meeting
TBA Individual Technical Panel Meetings per Discipline
TBA Referees and Technical Controllers Meeting
TBA Judges Draw and Meeting​

Thursday, September 15, 2016
Afternoon Official Practice (DANCE, LADIES)
Evening
PAIRS – Short Program
MEN – Short Program​

Friday, September 16, 2016
Afternoon
ICE DANCE – Short Dance
LADIES – Short Program​
Evening
PAIRS – Free Skating
MENS – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies - PAIRS and MEN​
TBA Technical Panel Review - PAIRS and MEN​

Saturday, September 17, 2016
Morning Round Table Discussion for Judges – PAIRS and MEN
Afternoon
ICE DANCE – Free Dance Evening
LADIES – Free Skating
Victory Ceremonies - ICE DANCE and LADIES​
TBA
Round Table Discussion for Judges – ICE DANCE and LADIES
Technical Panel Review – ICE DANCE and LADIES​

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Japanese entries:
Takahito Mura
Keiji Tanaka
Satoko Miyahara
Kana Muramoto/Chris Reed
Sumire Suto/Francis Boudreau Audet

Last edited:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Isn't it about time to publish entries?...
Should be anytime now I guess, since competition is less than 4 weeks away, and closing date for entries was last Tuesday...

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
The entries were due to 16th and they're still not published. Are you kidding me? :scowl: And I was complaining about Lombardia Trophy... sorry, Italians.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Perhaps we will see the entries for Nebelhorn and Autumn Classic sooner :-D

(Closing date for Nebelhorn entries already passed on Monday, and closing date for Autumn Classic is this Friday...)

blue eyed birds

Spectator
Canadian entries (published last week at the entry deadline):

LADIES
Véronik Mallet
Kim Decelles

MEN
Elladj Baldé
Mitchell Gordon

PAIRS
Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro
Brittany Jones/Joshua Reagan

DANCE
Alexandra Paul/Mitchell Islam
Mackenzie Bent/Dmitre Razgulajevs

And Olivia Smart/Adria Diaz said in an interview with Patinaje Pink Power that they were also planning to compete in Salt Lake City. Maybe if the entries don't come out soon we can guess how many spots will be left open in each discipline and deduce who probably won't be assigned from all the remaining senior international skaters! :laugh:

Last edited:

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Entries for the US Classic always seem to be very slow.

Checked on the doings in Salt Lake that weekend. There is no football game down the street so parking should be easy. Weather should be beautiful, as usual, for that time of year.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Perhaps we will see the entries for Nebelhorn and Autumn Classic sooner :-D

(Closing date for Nebelhorn entries already passed on Monday, and closing date for Autumn Classic is this Friday...)

Maybe if the entries don't come out soon we can guess how many spots will be left open in each discipline and deduce who probably won't be assigned from all the remaining senior international skaters! :laugh:

There are now entries from Nebelhorn published! I guess we can start guessing who's left to compete :biggrin:

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Entries for the US Classic always seem to be very slow.

Checked on the doings in Salt Lake that weekend. There is no football game down the street so parking should be easy. Weather should be beautiful, as usual, for that time of year.

I'm looking forward to it as always!! There is a huge convention going on downtown apparently. It was a chore for me to find a room at a reasonable price when in previous years I had zero trouble even with football. Staying out in Cottonwood right now but hoping the Univ of Utah Guest House will open up once it gets closer.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
So from US:
Ladies: Mariah Bell, Emily Chan, Karen Chen, Paige Rydberg
Men: Jason Brown, Ross Miner, Sean Rabbitt, Adam Rippon
Pairs: Jessica Calalang and Zack Sidhu, Alexandria Shaughnessy and James Morgan
Ice dance: Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue, Karina Manta and Joseph Johnson, Danielle Thomas and Daniel Eaton

I'm excited for Sean Rabbitt too :) And Emily :love: Unfortunately, entries on ISU page are still not published. I hope Tobias/Tkachenko will be there also. And Han Yan with Zijun Li.

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

On the Ice
Icenetwork has posted the streaming schedule (all times are Eastern):

http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2016/09/2016_us_intl_classic

9/15/2016 7:50pm Pairs Short Program
9/15/2016 9:08pm Men's Short Program
9/16/2016 3:11pm Short Dance
9/16/2016 4:55pm Ladies Short Program
9/16/2016 8:22pm Pairs Free Skate
9/16/2016 10:01pm Men's Free Skate
9/17/2016 5:08pm Free Dance
9/17/2016 7:57pm Ladies Free Skate

Here is the Novice/Junior Challenge Skate schedule:

http://web.icenetwork.com/schedule/2016/09/2016_us_chall_skate

9/15/2016 9:45am Novice Pairs Short Program
9/15/2016 11:50am Novice Ladies Short Program
9/15/2016 1:30pm Novice Men's Short Program
9/16/2016 9:25am Novice Men's Free Skate
9/16/2016 10:50am Novice Ladies Free Skate
9/16/2016 12:35pm Novice Pairs Free Skate
9/17/2016 10:25am Novice Pattern Dance
9/17/2016 11:20am Junior Ladies Short Program
9/17/2016 1:10pm Junior Men's Short Program
9/17/2016 2:40pm Junior Pairs Short Program
9/18/2016 10:25am Novice Free Dance
9/18/2016 11:40am Junior Ladies Free Skate
9/18/2016 2:20pm Junior Men's Free Skate
9/18/2016 4:00pm Junior Pairs Free Skate

A.H.Black

Final Flight
Noticed today that Jason Brown is enter in Lombardia as well. I'm betting he doesn't do both competitions. I will further speculate that he goes to Italy and skips Salt Lake.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Noticed today that Jason Brown is enter in Lombardia as well. I'm betting he doesn't do both competitions. I will further speculate that he goes to Italy and skips Salt Lake.

I speculate the reverse. And I speculate that one of us will be right;).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And I speculate that he will do both.

If he and his team saw no problem with a one week turnaround between Skate America and Ice Challenge last season, I don't see why they'd shy away from Lombardia -> SLC this year...

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, by doing 2 comps so close together there's no time for let down; he needs to peak and stay at that level for about a week. They may think that's better than peaking, coming down for 2-3 weeks, then peaking again. I also noticed that Lombardia is essentially at sea level, while Salt Lake City's elevation is about 4200 feet. If he is planning to compete quads at both, maybe he wants the experience competing them at sea level first, as I'm assuming it would be slightly easier. Also, Lombardia might be slightly less high pressure from the standpoint that there are fewer "top" competitors and it's not in the US, and doing two back to back competitions will allow him to immediately make adjustments to the quads. Finally - at Lombardia he's up against Max and Grant and at SLC he will face Adam, Ross, and Sean; they may think there's value in that.

The downsides would be exhaustion, jet lag and possibly risking injury, but I'm assuming they've considered those.