2016 World Championships Free Dance | Page 38 | Golden Skate

2016 World Championships Free Dance

yuna13

On the Ice
OH NO the'yre doing it again french Eurosport isn't showing the free because of snooker??????
really, no disrespect for snooker fan but...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Snooker match just finished on Eurosport 1. Free Dance highlights to follow.

CaroLiza_fan

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Yeah, so in a roundabout way the Russians got disadvantaged IMO. It wasn't that big a deal, they wouldn't have gotten the third starting place on merit anyway. Sorry, Coomes/Buckland got a level 4 on everything in the SD and FD. EVERYTHING. That's insane. I know the tech controller was British and Dostatni and Shpilband are BFFs, but come on now. This just won't blow up into a bigger deal because it happened further down the ranks, so no one pays that much attention.

I said it earlier. Lots of politics we haven't heard about. I'm not saying Salt Lake City-level shenanigans, but shenanigans just the same.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
not a stellar comp for my favs WP & SinKats:sad4::sad21::sad21:

But at least the Shibs is still a #1 US pair!!!:agree:

Sugarpova! You've been missed on here! Hope all is well!

Same with you Mr Snow. I'll send you a PM shortly.

Idontsk8

On the Ice
Watching now on ESP, and I can't believe I'll say this but why did Madison Hubbell change her dress? This one for me is even worse, the neckline and skirt is all wrong and the dance did not have the same visual impact for me with a black dress. Despite this very nicely skated and so emotional, good for them!

salchowx4

On the Ice
In person, the colors on Maddie's dress work quite well. I can see why some people might not like the cut, but I actually thought it looked good. (I am no expert on fashion.)

Idontsk8

On the Ice
In person, the colors on Maddie's dress work quite well. I can see why some people might not like the cut, but I actually thought it looked good. (I am no expert on fashion.)

Good to know, maybe live the impression is different. But at least I think, still on the shallow note, her hairdo was fantastic while the one with the white dress I did not like at all.

Watched all! All the results were correct from what I saw but maybe I expected to be more moved by the French (in the Europeans I was so so moved). Gotta watch again with better quality. All was very nice apart from a little twizzle bobble from Gabriella so I think that the score could have been slightly lower. A nice surprise for me was Chock/Bates, today the dance moved me a lot and showed from them a completely different depth of emotion. Hope they can keep up the good work after a not so consistent season.

And I understand why so many people don't like the dance but to me W/P even with errors is my favorite dance of all season (with P/C in second). I don't know why but from the first time I watched it I was hooked. I so wish Andrew could get his act together on the twizzles =(

yuna13

On the Ice
i remember the time i used to complain about ice dance being so predictable!! at on my point the only question left was on who is going to take the bronze?
well after last year and this year short dance and free, i will never complain anymore.
surprises
heart race
i can't have this again, i can't handle it!!!

thank you

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
By the light of day my conclusion is that the positions were correct, but the scores were outrageous, for everyone.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Sugarpova! You've been missed on here! Hope all is well!

Same with you Mr Snow. I'll send you a PM shortly.
I was just avoiding the heartbreak:biggrin:
I may have had a breakdown if I watched live:laugh:

really sad about my blue eyed bbs:sad4::sad4:
& how awesome would it be if 'Fix u' won:sad21: but Im totally excited about the new season for them! Its so hard to match this fab programm!

alebi

Medalist
By the light of day my conclusion is that the positions were correct, but the scores were outrageous, for everyone.

Yes, very generous technical panel here and in the ladies short. We can't even say this is the same for every skater so no one take an advantage, because skaters and pairs who are surely clear can't benefit from their abilities.
Maybe at the end the result don't change, but judges are sending a completely different message from what has been done with the strict rules they have established lately (I'm thinking especially about ladies). Let's see if this competition will stay a singular exception.

Chock and Bates gave their best performance of the season. Love me some Shibs, but for me C&B could have been second. Capellini and Lanotte were refreshing as usual. Gilles and Poirier were quirky and entertaining. I've got no quarrel with the judging.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Here's my quick reaction to Chock and Bates: they usually do nothing for me, and I am as puzzled as the many other fans who see their scores as way too high. In the free dance here, it seemed Madison was thrusting her limbs at full stretch for, like, every second of the program. It's as if she thought, "MMPH! I'm PISSED at my recent placements and I'LL show the world I can throw MORE, MORE, MORE into the program to NOT BE DENIED WHAT I WANT!" Well, hello! Very few tracks of music require anything of the sort, and her music certainly didn't require a one-track interpretation with over-the-top facial expressions and body movements. Come to think of it, that's precisely what I thought made Davis/White less pleasing to me than Virtue/Moir and some other teams: it's like they often plowed through programs with the thinking that it's a 100m sprint instead of paying close attention to the music and taking advantage of different sections to make the programs multi-faceted. I often love speed, and I fully believe that it should remain a factor in being judged, but it's NOT. A. Thing. That. Must. Be. Happening. Every. Second!

I'm curious: technical prowess aside, what do Chock and Bates admirers like in their musical interpretation? Be specific if possible, because I'd like to know some of what the judges perhaps also see in them.

Papadakis/Cizeron performed extremely well and were fantastic to watch. I had been in the Shibutani camp of fans who thought they might win the title/I was kind of pulling for them, but seeing both teams (on video) back-to-back made me feel the French deserved higher marks/they nailed their program more.

I respect Cappelini/Lanotte's qualities more than most on here (it seems), and I think 4th for them was good. Weaver/Poje in 5th here would have been unthinkable about 4 years ago, but techies would probably be able to point out why their TES are below couples in front of them.

Hubbell/Donoghue were captivating when I saw them in 2013, and I found them to be riveting during worlds. Given their attractiveness, improved skating skills, and (my opinion, of course) ability to skate TO the music, I certainly find them more interesting than Chock/Bates, and I hear more and more rumblings of Igor's political clout keeping H/D as U.S. #3. Such a shame if that's really the key factor in their lower placements.

Gilles/Poirier pull off what they try, and that gives them accolades for trying unusual things and actually doing them well. I kind of liken them to the Duchesnays for their innovative approach.

If memory serves, I found Coomes/Buckland intriguing in the past, but this FD was... ahem... not something I could get into.

One reason I like to check out comment threads is that people tip me off to performances I might not otherwise watch. Guignard/Fabbri impressed me with their speed and intensity. Such sharpness is not present in many of the pairs.

All in all, I think it's an interesting, competitive time in ice dance. It's astounding to think of the Shibutanis getting "only bronze" at the Nepela Trophy and being world silver medalists in the same season.

Nocturne

On the Ice
Just watched the shibs and P/C since I couldnt watch it live and I have to say P/C are divine.
But for me, the shibs free dance is even more extraordinary. The styles are so different, you cannot really compare the two programs, but since they are competing against each other, you have to compare.

And for me, the shibs' program is the better one. Which has nothing to do with the technical or anything like that. It is just my personal preference. The theme is just so emotional and not on a romantic level and I love that. Everyone knows the feelings described in this song. When you failed, you're desperate, feeling down - everyone knows it and can relate to it very well. And then the message "lights will guide you home, I will try to fix you", it's just so emotional and hopeful. Hope, that someday everything will be fine again. It moves me personally much more than any sad or tragic love story can, no matter how well it's done.
Dont get me wrong - I love romance and I love watching romantic programs. But "Fix you" had me crying before it ended and I usually never cry when watching programs. It surely is a brilliant song and the shibs interpreted it brilliantly.

I dont disagree with the placements. I just wanted to say, how much I love this program :)

Alex D

Record Breaker
I'm curious: technical prowess aside, what do Chock and Bates admirers like in their musical interpretation? Be specific if possible, because I'd like to know some of what the judges perhaps also see in them.

Since I might not post my event review here, I still wanted to answer you that question.

SD:

The idea of their short is a Ballroom Dance, as seen with the Ravensburger Waltz to unchained melody. It is a more traditional dance, which is elegant with a leading male part, who is confident and presenting his lady. The change of hold (open - closed) is supposed to be fluent and with ease while trying to present a type of "flying skate", with great extensions, speed and ice coverage. The INT especially rates the relationship on ice, the character of music portrait by the skaters so that they become a part of it, while making it all look effortless. Anything these two do, is elegant and graceful, soft and still strong and confident.

For me, Maddy and Evan, offer the best traditional SD this season and the transition between Foxtrot and Waltz is second to none.

FD:

Their free is a totally different skate, to Rachmaninov, more ballet and dramatic, and their movements and expressions have to settle into this type of musical arrangement, while the same rules apply. Skate with the music, present each bar and phrase of it, as seen with the twizzle sequence when the music is more uplifting or the turns, that come when you have high attack and quick release on the piano, while the extensions and lifts, come out during the string patterns and layers, in which both skaters use their arms to present the "open range" of the music and of course the Drama, that comes when the intensity rises.

I have become a huge fan of them this season, for me no other dance pair has their musicality and skill to really connect with their music, their choice of music in SD and FD is wonderful and even though, I like the love stories of other skaters, from a Ice Dance fan, they in my opinion, do that sport a huge favor with their choreographies, interpretation and style, it is traditional ice dancing, but it´s not at any point, old or boring, they have a phenomenal way to skate with the music and their Waltz is the best of the season for me.

I have to admit, of all couples they are the ones who I believe can get Hip Hop to work next season, their musicality is high class and I like what Igor did there, I never enjoyed a SD as much as theirs this year.

Not sure if any of that is useful to you, though.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Alex,

I appreciate the comments. Having seen a video of Virtue/Moir doing some hip hop moves, I think they are a threat still :).

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
PapCiz in person is just incredible. They deserve every compliment and accolade they get! They skate with freedom, the flow, the edges, line and extension are just absolutely incredible! My friend - who knows nothing about skating - told me she got a little teary-eyed.
Agree! They are in a different league from everyone else. It was nice also that no matter how much the audience rooted for the two American teams, they still gave a hearty reception to the French

Here's my quick reaction to Chock and Bates: they usually do nothing for me, and I am as puzzled as the many other fans who see their scores as way too high. In the free dance here, it seemed Madison was thrusting her limbs at full stretch for, like, every second of the program. It's as if she thought, "MMPH! I'm PISSED at my recent placements and I'LL show the world I can throw MORE, MORE, MORE into the program to NOT BE DENIED WHAT I WANT!" Well, hello! Very few tracks of music require anything of the sort, and her music certainly didn't require a one-track interpretation with over-the-top facial expressions and body movements…

First , I wish I had said what Alex D said. :)

Second, as more of an "I don't know dance from a hole in the ground, but I know what I like" sort of fan :) , I can agree that Madison Chock can sometimes come off as a drama queen. OK, she always comes off as a drama queen. OK, she is a drama queen. :love: Possibly a bit of "one size fits all" with respect to the music (although the astute Alex D says otherwise), but nevertheless I can't take my eyes off her.

In this, Chock and Bates are the opposite of Papadakis and Cizeron. In that pairing, I can't take my eyes off him. He, in fact, is the anti-divo. Every move he makes seems effortless, inevitable in design yet beyond expectation in execution.

By the way, I watched the event in real time on (US) NBC-Sports, with Tracy Wilson and Benjamin Agosto commentating. They were effusive in praise of Chock and Bates (not a foot-fall out of place, etc., etc.). When it came to Papadakis and Cizeron, they had nothing much to say at all. It was like, "Y'all have eyes, right? What is there to add?"

Then when Shibutani and Shibutani skated they were full of praise for the program but never a whisper or hint that the Shibs had a chance (home crowd or no home crowd) to touch P&C.