2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2017-18 State of Russian Ladies skating

moriel

Record Breaker
This isn't as important as fans think it is, even in Russia. Anna and Maria and Liza have all stayed in the conversation, despite being inconsistent. Although Liza hasn't been on the world team in 2 years, I would say that Yulia, or any lady, would be lucky and very talented and hard-working to be where Liza is right now. Tsurskaya has struggled but she's still in the mix.

Yulia needs to put together two halfway-decent programs. She can make one mistake in the SP and 2-3 in the LP and it will still be a major improvement.

She needs to love skating and find joy in performing. She'll probably never again have the consistency and proficiency of the little girl in the red coat, but she's an adult now, who has experienced a lot of highs and lows for someone her age, and I bet she can perform and interpret music and story with more depth and nuance than she did in 2014.

It's worked for Leonova, and Yulia can work to be at her technical level (which is pretty mediocre as far as jumps are concerned - way better at spins) and be a better performer, too.

The thing is not consistency really. She needs to be ABLE to skate two clean programs back to back. At least once a season or something.
Thing is, she isn't able to do this for years - which leads me to think the issues cannot be fixed since she would have fixed it earlier.

Also, it Worked for Leonova because there was way less depth in russian skating back then. There wasn't a legion of girls who can easily score 200+

hanca

Record Breaker
This isn't as important as fans think it is, even in Russia. Anna and Maria and Liza have all stayed in the conversation, despite being inconsistent. Although Liza hasn't been on the world team in 2 years, I would say that Yulia, or any lady, would be lucky and very talented and hard-working to be where Liza is right now. Tsurskaya has struggled but she's still in the mix.

Yulia needs to put together two halfway-decent programs. She can make one mistake in the SP and 2-3 in the LP and it will still be a major improvement.

She needs to love skating and find joy in performing. She'll probably never again have the consistency and proficiency of the little girl in the red coat, but she's an adult now, who has experienced a lot of highs and lows for someone her age, and I bet she can perform and interpret music and story with more depth and nuance than she did in 2014.

It's worked for Leonova, and Yulia can work to be at her technical level (which is pretty mediocre as far as jumps are concerned - way better at spins) and be a better performer, too.

I disagree. Consistency is important because otherwise she won't get to any championships. Your example is Anna and Maria. Well, the whole last season Anna has been very consistent except of one competition. And you forgot that unlike the last year, three other Russian ladies moved to seniors, so it is getting even more crowded.

You are talking about what worked for Leonova. Remind me, when did she last time competed at Europeans or worlds?

andromache

Record Breaker
You are talking about what worked for Leonova. Remind me, when did she last time competed at Europeans or worlds?

I have no doubt that Leonova has had what she would consider to be a fulfilling career. There's more to skating than medals and winning. She gets to go out and compete and perform, sometimes better than others. Most skaters, Yulia included, would be lucky to be capable of what Leonova is.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

Agreed. Julia isn't part of the conversation right now, although we have seen her land all the different triples the last couple of seasons (after her growth spurt). I think skaters like Anna and Elena R has surpassed her on presentation quality, so I'm not sure what Julia can do to catch them aside from being very consistent with the technical elements.

Weathergal

Medalist
Agreed. Julia isn't part of the conversation right now, although we have seen her land all the different triples the last couple of seasons (after her growth spurt). I think skaters like Anna and Elena R has surpassed her on presentation quality, so I'm not sure what Julia can do to catch them aside from being very consistent with the technical elements.

Anna surpassing Julia in presentation quality? Maybe, although I'd still put them pretty close. But Elena R surpassing Julia? No way, even without the flailing, which is still.present. (just my opinion! ;) )

Lipea

Final Flight
I'm not too worried about her jumps since she is with Mishin. But she does seem inconsistent.

They seem to have very little amount of training in general in Mishin's group (according to Nugumanova's ask). Consistency comes with amount of training, which also explains why Liza Tuk only could have a golden season when Mishin was purposely sending her on tons of smaller competitions to have more ice. It worked, but obviously they could not really manage with it for another season, so many competitions is tiring for both the skater and the coach.

When Anna and Evgenia at the end of last season were answering questions in periscope, whatever Anna said about her training hours Evgenia answered - "well, I have surely more."
So here is clearly a secret for the consistency of the students from Eteri's group.

I would not be surprised if Nugumanova, with her ambitions, will switch the coach soon.

Lipea

Final Flight
Russian test skates will take place on September 9-10. This event is so significant this year that I am going to fly to Sochi for the weekend to see it live. Everyone's but Medvedeva's skate makes a lot of sense. Especially taking into account the fact that CoR is going to open GP series this year. Hence, the only qualifier for the third spot there is this test skate.

1. Medvedeva's skate is only relevant to look at her Olympic programs. Is she going to change her combo layout from opening 3F-3T, then 2A-2T-2T, then 3S-3T (-3T)? Is she going to backload everything? What is the music? What is the choreo? Pantomime again? She is in the team anyway. I just hope she won't skip test skates.

2. We all know that there are only 2 spots left. The main team besides Zhenya includes Anna, Alina, Maria, and Elena. That's 4 already. No one has "the luxury" to falter if someone else delivers. If Alina is imperfect - everyone will think that the last season was a one-time event, puberty, etc. Anna could have relaxed with solid worlds - not now. Maria was solid but not spectacular and will be easily replaced if Anna is back and Alina shines. Elena has to prove she can jump again. Very interesting and very nervous.

3. The reserve national team is Yulia, Adelina, Polina, Liza, and Alena. The moment of truth is for all of them but Leonova - she won't be in the Olympic team. But she will fight for GP spots. Everybody else in this group is either Olympic or former World champion or the most promising junior in the world unbeaten untill the injury in 15-16 season. If something dramatic happens with any of them over the summer so that they shine in Sochi and if the girls from the first group do not deliver reserve girls can still make a statement.

What a line-up! Hope, everyone is healthy and will be there for the super show. What is interesting as well is that all of the top 10 Russian senior ladies have different names. We have extra capacity for Sima, Alisa, Stasya, Nastya, Alexandra (may be forgot someone).

I think Liza has as many chances to get into Olympic team as Anna or Elena. Anna would be on the other level if not that horendous World's LP, and Elena just does not have anything to be rewarded for to stand out from the rest of the field. Buianova's connections can give her a boost in inflated GOEs and PCS but would it be enough?

Liza, in fact, seems to start preparation early, got her programs and noticably lost weight. She could be very motivated as the OG medal is the only medal she does not have, and because of the high hopes she had prior to Sochi Olympics that failed to realize.

Adelina, Yulia - no even need to mention them in this thread (sorry, fans, but this is for 2017-2018 season, why to still consider skaters who show no motivation and barely competed in the previous three years?). In fact, even the ethernal grandma Leonova who improves her PB every season has more chances for OG. Hats off and respect to this lady.

Polina, if remains off injury problems and trains as consitently as she was in seasons before 2017, can have as many chances to be in the OG team as Alina. So I don't see why you put Liza and Polina together with other three girls in group three.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Anna surpassing Julia in presentation quality? Maybe, although I'd still put them pretty close. But Elena R surpassing Julia? No way, even without the flailing, which is still.present. (just my opinion! ;) )

I'd disagree, mainly because Julia hasn't really had engaging programs since 2014.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'd disagree, mainly because Julia hasn't really had engaging programs since 2014.

Honestly I really don't understand why people keep dragging Julia and Adelina around still. I understand they are sentimental darlings, but its been like 3 years already.
Look at what happened to Mao. Why are you people so sure they will come and do better than they ever did, and not struggle - because even in their top form and during their best season, both were quite inconsistent and just happened to peak at the right time?

(i like both ladies, but this forum is starting to get on me).

Ender

Match Penalty
Lipnitkaya stayed the same and regressed since 2014.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Honestly I really don't understand why people keep dragging Julia and Adelina around still. I understand they are sentimental darlings, but its been like 3 years already.

We are discussing Olympic hopefuls from Russia and, at least officially, both are still gunning for spots.

Weathergal

Medalist

Lipnitkaya stayed the same and regressed since 2014.

If we're talking technically, I'd agree--although there was a glimmer of hope on that front before she was injured last season. But I found, in particular her Megopolis SP and last season's SP quite engaging. The 2015-2016 programs...not so much at first but once she moved to Urmanov, I thought there was quite an improvement in how she delivered them. But especially last season's SP...really enjoyed it. Have to agree to disagree with you on that one.

My doubts about her aren't about her presentation ability or growth as a performer but rather her physical condition and mental toughness. I think dealing with her fame and the pressures that come with has always been a struggle for her (understandably!). Still I wish her the best and would love to see her in the mix this season, even though it's not very likely.

Last edited:

Grin

Medalist
Is there a site to go to to translate this interview, please?

tl;dr version,

She lives in Moscow with grandma apart from her parents.
Alina trains with Evgenia in one group, Eteri ask them to do the same elements from time to time and compares the quality of their technique. Medvedeva usually wins. She also often advises Alina on figure skating.
Ailna loves to compete and isn't afraid to compete on senior level.
Her little sister also wants to become skater.