2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics | Page 76 | Golden Skate

2017-2018 Canadian Road to the Olympics

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's my whole point chuckm, she stated the season off horrifically and showed improvement throughout. Her season ended besting good skaters like Karen, Li, Murakami, Choi, Alaine and arguably Gracie, which was a confidence builder and a reason to keep skating, after many thought she was done with the sport given her injury and a lack luster season.

As I say, she's peaks late in the season.

Completely true!!! She's always been pleasant to watch but, it was this SP from 2013 Nationals that made me believe that she could win it all. She came very close last year and I'm hoping for great performances at Nationals where she is the clear favorite.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeNFi331yE

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OTOH, Kaetlyn and Gracie were "bested" by midrank skaters Hongo and Park, which would certainly be a huge confidence builder for them, don't you think?

mrrice

Record Breaker
OTOH, Kaetlyn and Gracie were "bested" by midrank skaters Hongo and Park, which would certainly be a huge confidence builder for them, don't you think?

After 2016, I think I could have beaten Gracie due to her mental state. You could see it in her face that she just wasn't her old self. My real for her future is that she finds something she loves to do and keeps her happy and motivated.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Yes, and as we know they both were dealing with health issues. Gracie went on to a medal at Worlds (SP medal that is) and a very respectable 4th place finish.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Completely true!!! She's always been pleasant to watch but, it was this SP from 2013 Nationals that made me believe that she could win it all. She came very close last year and I'm hoping for great performances at Nationals where she is the clear favorite.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FeNFi331yE

Thanks Mr. Rice, for this reminder. I don't know if any other 17 year old that could skate with such difficult choreography, joy and oh those transitions. Just amazing!

mrrice

Record Breaker
Thanks Mr. Rice, for this reminder. I don't know if any other 17 year old that could skate with such difficult choreography, joy and oh those transitions. Just amazing!

You're very welcome and I truly believe that she and Patrick will bring the house down at Nationals. They are both seasoned Veterans and if Patrick can breathe, I think he's gonna win. Even if he can't breathe, I believe the association will put him on the team like they did with Michelle Kwan in 2006. He just needs to be healthy and he'll be fine.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Kaetlyn has always had great SPs. The SP has never been a problem for her---it's the freeskate that is her nemesis. Kaetlyn always starts off the FS with great energy and power, but from the midpoint on, as the energy tapers off, the mistakes creep in.

Weathergal

Medalist
Besides Patrick, who has the best chances for the team?

That's the big question. Kevin Reynolds and Nam Nguyen haven't been convincing. Neither has Liam Firus. Eladj Balde has been pretty much off the radar. Right now my dark horse pick is Keegan Messing, bu who knows? :shrug:

moon

On the Ice
Ah yes, and not surprisingly promoted by their coaches personal PR team PJ Kwong. I used to enjoy listening to her but then she became so shamelessly a Gilles Poirier promoter I grew weary of her endless praise

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Ah yes, and not surprisingly promoted by their coaches personal PR team PJ Kwong. I used to enjoy listening to her but then she became so shamelessly a Gilles Poirier promoter I grew weary of her endless praise

Not an issue for me, because I adore them ;DDD

But yes, she is all about this team, I agree, and talks about pretty much nobody else. Maybe she has easier access to them, who knows.

Anyway, she says the new program is James Bond-themed on her site. I am excited!

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

So PJ has moved on from all things Pooh and Hanyu? Wow, I thought that relationship was for life.

mrrice

Record Breaker
That's the big question. Kevin Reynolds and Nam Nguyen haven't been convincing. Neither has Liam Firus. Eladj Balde has been pretty much off the radar. Right now my dark horse pick is Keegan Messing, bu who knows? :shrug:

I'll have to look him up but, other than Keegan, I was thinking they might send that young skater who reminds me of Patrick if he's old enough. I haven't seen Nam skate great in a while but, lots of skaters really bring it at Nationals which is why I wish I was going this year.

The skater I was thinking of is Joseph Phan. Is there any chance he'll make the team?

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The skater I was thinking of is Joseph Phan. Is there any chance he'll make the team?

Nope, he doesn't have the senior-level TES minimums because Skate Canada didn't bother to send him to a Challenger Series event. :palmf:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Nope, he doesn't have the senior-level TES minimums because Skate Canada didn't bother to send him to a Challenger Series event. :palmf:

That's too bad....I just checked and it looks like Canada has 2 spots for the Men.....If that's the case, I'd definitely send Patrick and Keegan.