2018 Europeans Pairs SP | Page 19 | Golden Skate

2018 Europeans Pairs SP

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I missed last group yesterday, because of walking back home from work, but re-watched later - generally, quite a few surprises and I personally think it is only for better for those being considered as 'better' or 'real contenders' who are making mistakes, to keep them on their toes and motivate to get better. Saying that, I am really worried about Evgenia and Vladimir, because this was quite unusual to not even that under-perform in competition, but under-execute...

Still, totally over the moon for Valentina and Ondrej - now, this is a pair with a flair!:laugh:I am glad that we have those few non-mainstream, non-classical Pairs out there with some particular image, idea about themselves that they are able to carry through competitive stuff and performances. I think that the fact they are both strong individualities (Valentina coming from singles, especially) really helps in their reception - and they usually go with something lighter, cheekier and fun in their programs that engages the audience, even with some mistakes. Valentina is generally a Diva, a Gem and a Treasure - she's going for each program with such enthusiasm, poise and joy from being on ice, performing, she's just shining out there, illuminating the space; Ondrej is one of very few Pair guys who is not faltering under amount of attention Valentina gets, but seems to enjoy this fact and join her fun. This SP just flows and entertains perfectly: from gestures, facial expression, chemistry and fun between them, solid on elements, being equally into the performance, speed, no hesitation. I just love, love the energy of them and that the performance was feeding from it. It would be really awesome if they could medal...:)

I am not the biggest fan of Natalia and Alexander, but boy - they kind of stepped it up yesterday in their very own game which surprisingly gave them the highest place from Russian Pairs. I definitely can see and appreciate progress they have made, especially in terms of selling the performance, even in more skill-related manner than engagement/projection. And call me silly or superficial, but they are so well-matched together which plays for me an important factor in presentation, there's just some lovely quality about her delicate frame and subtlety combined with his height, strength, presence. They are definitely more in this 'classical' Pair image, but I like it for them, it just feels right to see - of course, it would be great to see them doing something out of classical/lyrical repertoire, with more character, but I am glad to see them doing this well as per their current material.

I'm simply sad for Evgenia and Vladimir, because even if I don't like their material they are usually so reliable in it and now it seems to be unravelling...For me, this is one of the most beautifully matched Pairs by skill, appearance, aesthetic, way of movement and projection, they are a joy to watch usually, because of the quality they have, the easiness and gracefulness of lines, Evgenia's finish of movement, delicacy, but yesterday it was rough...There was something off about their timing in some elements for me, lack of this signature synchronicity of theirs, nervousness and tightness especially in Evgenia's moves, and it is worrying because this SP works its charm for me if done pristinely clean, with speed and attack; elements should highlight the music, be in synch with it, they have to be confident to get it all flow-y, but if there are some problems with execution the impression is lost, program gets bland and forgettable (which is quite unfavourable seeing them for example back-to-back with Vanessa/Morgan's SP, Stolbova/Klimov's or Savchenko/Massot's).

Speaking of Ksenia and Fedor - the main difference between them and Tarasova/Morozov is for me about carrying out the strength of the program/performance as a whole despite technical/execution errors; even with this 3T fall from Ksenia, I am okay with them getting highest PCS of them all, why? Because of the 'particularity', 'characterial' flair of the program being so right with their own individualities, adding that 'extra' factor to their brilliant skills all-around (smoothness, glide, lines, speed), both areas are highlighting themselves creating very effective image. And this step sequence is really beautiful: sharp, in character of the piece, with great expression throughout it, finishing of movement...It's a pity of course about the fall, but I personally do not feel that it affected the performance that much, they still stayed in character and got the best out of music, which proves them (again) as great performers.

Vanessa and Morgan - :bow:, simply stunning! Another season of daring us all, judges included, with non-standard, non-classical Pairs' repertoire, music with lyrics they seem to interpret and present so well, in sophisticated, polished, universally-appealing manner. I really saw hunger, determination and energy radiating from them - especially from Vanessa - making up for this barely missed GPF (I am still bitter about IdF GP and this PCS gap...) and missed Nationals, this additional 'spring' and punch in their step could get them the title there. And I will be RAVING about that, make no mistake about that, because they're worth it all: attention, appreciation, scores, reward, praise. Very elegant and sophisticated pair, but not in this traditional/classical sense, based more on enriching skill by connection, originality, intricacy, interpretation (and still developing it in the process!); I think also that the striking factor in their appearance/physique, the way they are matched in this intricate contrasting, yet completing sense makes up on this effect created by their programs and how impactful they are for audiences. For me, one of very few Pairs that can actually 'build' and 'grow' up a program aside of its execution - they have this ability to create a moment to remember by performance, reaching by its meaning way beyond those few minutes, they really add the significance, stress to the music, how it is related to their skating, interpretation of it, whole mood created (which is why I constantly go back to last year's Euros FS from them - because of the MOMENT they created, moving all those people in the area, even more watching it on TV). This season only 3 teams for me have this transcendent quality of unifying skill, performance and expression, then transforming it all into something 'more': Wenjing/Cong, Aljona/Bruno and Vanessa/Morgan. With French the thing that draws me in more and more is also their particular personality and projection of it through their material - they grown up to be fierce and controlled competitors, but this a bit 'unkept' energy about them, fiery characters are still there which only adds to their uniqueness. Vanessa is just beyond fantastic - such seductive, poised character on ice, very 'real' and raw in what she's doing, passionate with beauty running deeper than just surface, Morgan, even as 'salt bae' out there:laugh:, impresses me even more by his growth and control gained over obvious talent he has. I think that no matter what will happen, it will be something special this weekend for them:)

Art&Sport

Medalist
I agree. I think they lacked it today and they were a little bit over scored in PCS this time. It was not their best and they got point more in PCS comparing to previous competitions... But they definitely deserve to be in first after SP. So congrats :peace:

Seeing that J/C were completely wuzrobbed in their home country during French GP by T/M's horrid fp and numerous mistakes, turnabout is fair play! Plus J/C deserve their PCS big time! Stop trying to crap on how good they are! J/C have always been a well-matched team with good technical skills and a hot, steamy edginess that's so enjoyable to watch. A lot of teams need to improve SS and scratchiness of their blades. Why the constant harping on J/C though? I think it's nitpicking. As Eurosport announcers indicated, J/C were slightly less smooth and confident here than they were on the GP because they lost some training time in December due to Vanessa's injury. So for them to pull it out cleanly to place first is very commendable.

In addition, J/C deserved to win the silver medal at SC, and they deserved to win gold in France. It's unfair that they did not make the GPF this season with their strong, accomplished programs. J/C have had easily two of the best back-to-back seasons sps and fps. Over the past two seasons, many pairs have been copying some of J/C's sexy moves and dynamic themes. It was a stroke of genius for J/C to join John Z, John Kerr, Sylvia Z and Jeremy Barrett in Florida.

M/H have too much cheesy shtick in their style and they still skate like two singles skaters. Z/E have nice, long lines and the Russian aesthetic, but they are completely boring, It was Z/E's PCS that was way too high! And M/H were also a bit overscored technically and artistically.

If not for their injuries and resultant inconsistency, IMO S/K are the best of the Russian teams. I also think Ashtakova/Rogonov are way more interesting and appealing than both Z/E and T/M, as A/R have an edgier, more modern aesthetic, and they actually connect with each other. T/M need to really figure out who they are together on the ice and find completely new packaging, costuming and concept. They need to take drama classes or something! If Moskvina was working with T/M we might get to see something great. With the junk they have this season and their inability to connect on the ice, and those horrid fp costumes and music, T/M deserve to be off the podium at Euros, Worlds and the Olympics.