2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 41 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sackie

Medalist
I really feel for Maddie getting short changed by the judges. As 4everchan said - she only had one mistake yet she doesn't make the top 10 where a lot of those in the top ten had more errors then Maddie. But she got held down in her short and therefore even though she had one of the cleanest free skates with 7 solid triples she only made it to 13th place. Also have to wonder how much better she would have been marked had she skated better during the season especially at SCI where she had a great chance to medal - maybe even win. Joannie placed low (think maybe 16th as well) in a short one year yet she was able to score well in her free and move up into the top 10 because she had proved herself before.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I really feel for Maddie getting short changed by the judges. As 4everchan said - she only had one mistake yet she doesn't make the top 10 where a lot of those in the top ten had more errors then Maddie.
You could pick and choose in terms of ladies who got shortchanged in one or both programs, especially based upon who you favored. The scoring can be questioned for a number of ladies in terms of numbers of mistakes made and how they were scored. Political factor and perception/ rep factor figure in. Loena H. had mistakes and landed on the podium, with not her strongest programs. Plenty of side-eyeing of results abound.

"ISU World Figure Skating Championships 2023" http://www.isuresults.com/results/season2223/wc2023/data0290.htm

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canadian men finished last with only 5 points... Gogo popped all his passes... Keegan popped the quad and couldn't do a 3-3 after that (zayak) so only did a 3-2

SIGH... silver lining, Maddie skated SUPER WELL ! Bravo... Deserved above 70 but close enough.

Sara-Maude was a bit tight but fought. Couldn't do the 3-3 , hand down on lutz but a decent performance.

theblade

On the Ice
Different issue - After a few recent splits and some talk about which teams are moving up to Seniors next season, I was curious to see which Canadian pairs/ice dance teams would be able to compete as Junior internationally next season. All of those crossed out are either aging out or not yet age-eligible, and the individual skaters affected are marked with an asterisk. Teams that have split are written in cursive (unless the skaters have retired), as they could compete with a different partner next season. If a team is marked with ?, this means I was unable to find their birthdays online and wasn't able to determine their eligibility.

Junior pairs
1 Chloe Panetta* / Kieran Thrasher
2 Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov
3 Martina Ariano Kent / Alexis Leduc*
4 Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan Taylor*
5 Jazmine Desrochers / Aidan Wright*
Novice pairs
1 Alexane Jean / Charly Laliberté-Laurent
2 Beau Callahan / Benjamin Leduc
3 Annika Behnke / Kole Sauve
4 Raphaëlle Gilbert* / Christophe Roch
5 Julia Di Menna / Félix-Antoine Chartrand
6 Natalia Custodio / Christopher Hammer
7 Ava Swinamer / Andrew Raisbeck

Junior ice dance
1 Nadiia Bashynska* / Peter Beaumont*
2 Sandrine Gauthier* / Quentin Thieren
3 Hailey Yu / Brendan Giang
4 Jordyn Lewis / Noah McMillan
5 Layla Veillon / Alexander Brandys
6 Dana Sabatini-Speciale / Nicholas Buelow
7 Alisa Korneva / Kieran MacDonald
8 Éliane Foroglou-Gadoury / Félix Desmarais*
9 Erica Estepa / Nolen Hickey
10 Lauren Batka / Jacob Yang?
11 Kaitlyn Ho? / Daniel Yu
12 Nicole Bolender / Aiden Dotzert?
13 Savanna Martel / Kobi Chant*
Chaima Ben Khelifa / Everest Zhu
Marianne Hubert / William Oddson
Novice ice dance
1 Charlotte Chung / Axel Mackenzie?
2 Victoria Carandiuc / Andrei Carandiuc
3 Auréa Cinçon-Debout / Earl Jesse Celestino
4 Amélia Dufour-Saysourinho / Anthony MacDonal
5 Chloé Mentha / Emile Deveau
6 Caroline Kravets / Jacob Stark?
7 Nelly-Anne Chao / Thierry Caron
8 Mackenzie Lockston / Philip Czarnecki?
9 Cailey Wood / Alexandre Emery?

There's going to be a lot of movement in pairs in particular, but there's also a chance for new leaders to establish themselves in Canadian Junior Ice Dance, with the top 2 teams aging out, and the third-highest ranked team having split up. I'm sure it's going to be interesting to see it all play out over the next season (and beyond), and I sure am excited to see many new faces on the JGP in a few months. 😊
Okay, so the discussion in Coaching, Category and Country changes begs the question: young Canadian ice dancers are skating for New Zealand, Australia and Korea now. And supposedly another team wanted a release but couldn't get it (don't know the level of the team or anything else about this not-yet-publicly confirmed posting information).

How much talent is currently in the Junior level? What's happening there?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Okay, so the discussion in Coaching, Category and Country changes begs the question: young Canadian ice dancers are skating for New Zealand, Australia and Korea now. And supposedly another team wanted a release but couldn't get it (don't know the level of the team or anything else about this not-yet-publicly confirmed posting information).

that's the thing... teams have split, retired, moved up or were allowed to represent other countries. So at this point, Skate Canada is probably right to assess how things are before letting anyone go. There are quite a few teams at the top of seniors who are close to retire... Only Lajoie and Lagha are young enough and promising for another couple cycles...(6-7 years) I am not sure how BB will adapt to seniors.
I like Sandrine and Quentin but we barely know them because with covid, they only were able to skate for one year on the circuit... they will be seniors already next year and they have a long road ahead before reaching the top... if they get there.

Miku and Tyler have dealt with asthma this year... and have barely been able to compete/train. I am sure they will be a team to watch next year to see how things develop... I am worried about juniors but more importantly about who else has the potential for top 10-12 at worlds in the younger senior generation (other than Lajoie-Lagha). I adore Fabbri-Ayer but they are not at that level yet and Paul just had surgery... Nik W retired... Marie-Jade and Romain as well as Carolane and Shane are not "that young" either... I am guessing that Skate Canada is making sure that they keep ice dance strong in Canada...

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker

I don't think there's any issue with the talent level in juniors, it's just a changing of guards right now, with top juniors moving up to seniors and top novices moving up to juniors.

Chung/Mackenzie and Carandiuc/Carandiuc in particular are very good, but the rest of the crop of junior and novice dancers is nothing to frown at either.

I'm slightly more worried about the rate of teams splitting up. Playing music chairs with partners is not unusual in juniors, but it is a bit unusual for multiple top teams to split (Yu/Giang, Hubert/Oddson, possibly Ben Khelifa/Zhu), particularly when there is the chance of cementing a place as the top ice dance team next season, with B/B and G/T aging out of juniors.

Last edited:

theblade

On the Ice
Looking at Juniors, there is Lewis/McMillan, Veillon/Brandys, Sabatini-Speciale/Buelow, Korneva/MacDonald, Foroglou-Gadoury/Desmarais, Batka/Yang, Bolender/Dotzert. Who had a good season last year?

Giang has already pulled his IPS profile. On IPS - males: Hickey, Oddson, Yu. Zhu's status unknown. At least 15 female profiles on IPS at the moment. So quite a few skaters that are not partnered at the moment. Some opportunities for ice dancers could be there.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Looking at Juniors, there is Lewis/McMillan, Veillon/Brandys, Sabatini-Speciale/Buelow, Korneva/MacDonald, Foroglou-Gadoury/Desmarais, Batka/Yang, Bolender/Dotzert. Who had a good season last year?

Giang has already pulled his IPS profile. On IPS - males: Hickey, Oddson, Yu. Zhu's status unknown. At least 15 female profiles on IPS at the moment. So quite a few skaters that are not partnered at the moment. Some opportunities for ice dancers could be there.
some you mention are not so good or split/retired already.

Lewis/McMillan and Veillon/Brandys are the most promising i would think...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I don't think there's any issue with the talent level in juniors, it's just a changing of guards right now, with top juniors moving up to seniors and top novices moving up to juniors.

Chung/Mackenzie and Carandiuc/Carandiuc in particular are very good, but the rest of the crop of junior and novice dancers is nothing to frown at either.

I'm slightly more worried about the rate of teams splitting up. Playing music chairs with partners is not unusual in juniors, but it is a bit unusual for multiple top teams to split (Yu/Giang, Hubert/Oddson, possibly Ben Khelifa/Zhu), particularly when there is the chance of cementing a place as the top ice dance team next season, with B/B and G/T aging out of juniors.
you are completely right about the talent. I think i should reframe.. I am talking about "special" talent...

in recent years, we saw a really fine crop of very promising skaters with top tier potential.
Lajoie-Lagha, Bronsard/Bouaragui, D'Alessandro/Waddell, Makita/Gunara, Bashynska/Beaumont... already 2 of these teams are gone... one has struggled with health issues and the other one will move to senior only next year...

so when looking at who is next in line, maybe I am short-sighted, but I do not see a team of that caliber in the current up and coming juniors. If your vision is more informed than mine, please let me know. I will watch them with attention :)

theblade

On the Ice
Then I can't imagine who it is that wouldn't have their release request reviewed by Skate Canada. Perhaps a senior team?

Wonder if Waddell will ever return to ice dance.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Then I can't imagine who it is that wouldn't have their release request reviewed by Skate Canada. Perhaps a senior team?

Wonder if Waddell will ever return to ice dance.
I have an idea but I don't want to mention it because that would break my heart to see them go AND also break my heart that they are having troubles going ... so i am screwed either way.

Regarding Waddell, i was hoping he would team up with Emmy Bronsard. But yeah... she is with Jacob Richmond now and though I like him, in his previous partnership with Jessica LI, I thought she was the star :) and Emmy is an even brighter star... so I am not convinced by this pairing...

I think Bruce is a nice skater to watch in singles. But if he doesn't get the big tricks anytime soon, yeah... i hope he reconsiders... who knows.. he may end up in pairs LOL

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
nope they mismanage all their athletes.... they take in ice dancers no problem... just won't release them.... piper is an import, b/s import, legac/laurient import.....
I don't like these blanket statements. It's never black or white.

Regarding the imports - to use your semantics, yeah and what is the issue with that??? It's so common in ice dance. There are exports too... As a matter of fact, two of the ones you have mentioned were first exported and they decided to come back.. If Skate Canada had been evil to them, perhaps they may have thought about other options, especially Lauriaut and Le Gac who would be the top French team as we speak.... and would have been to Euros, Worlds and WTT. As a matter of fact, working with the Fed in a positive and constructive manner when Lolo and MJ left to skate abroad was probably instrumental in their coming back.

I am not saying that there are absolutely no issues... that would be just as false as saying that they mismanage all their athletes.

You have mentioned you are aware of a team that wants out and cannot get a release. Fine. Let's hear the reasons given to them. Until it's in the public realm, it's all speculation.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do too... and yet, figure skating is the worst... I have rarely felt a wuzrobbed watching diving for instance... I don't watch footbal... i mean i am assuming you watch American footbal... i prefer "soccer"
I love the way Cynthia Potter can always tell what kind of score the divers will get. Maybe it’s because they throw out the top 2 and bottom 2 scores.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I love the way Cynthia Potter can always tell what kind of score the divers will get. Maybe it’s because they throw out the top 2 and bottom 2 scores.
They throw out the extreme scores in figure skating too...but yup.... other judged sports are better

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
They throw out the extreme scores in figure skating too...but yup.... other judged sports are better
Diving is more consistent. Not everyone would consider that better. In cat shows they don’t publish the name of the cat or the owner but if you go to a ton of cat shows they’re still going to know what cat it is.

The only way I think completely impartial judging could happen is if somehow the judges didn’t know who the skaters or coaches were or what country they represented. Which is obviously impossible. I mean anyone could tell the difference between Nathan Chen and Jimmy Ma (to pick two skaters I love).

Status
Not open for further replies.