Record Breaker
are we comparing figure skating to cat shows now :) hehe :laugh2:
challenge accepted

giphy.gif

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I did want to post it so that he can be wished all the best! Being a mature age student and part way through a (very different) degree myself, I am really pleased for him.

yesterday

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but I did want to post it so that he can be wished all the best! Being a mature age student and part way through a (very different) degree myself, I am really pleased for him.

Wow, interesting!
I have a forensic psychologist in the family, but don't know what route he could go with this.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand

Good on him, and you!
We have a few students in their 30s/40s in our department too (though no former World Champions as far as I know) :p

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

Good for him! I got one of my university degrees at a later age, and having had some work experience at the time was a big help!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Makes me feel like going back to get a xth degree lol

Erm ok.. no 😀 even for Jeff (not like I would study forensic science)

On a serious note... If I am not mistaken, Jeff did an engineer degree while he was still skating... really an impressive man !

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
For those of you have time to spare. I was bored of no figure skating. So, I decided to watch the Canada Games that took place in March. See link below:

The Canada Games featured figure skating and most of the athletes that competed at this event, competed at the Pre-Novice Challenger event. So, it was basically like their Canadian Nationals. It gives me an interesting outlook at what our Canadian Team will look like for the Olympic Cycle after 2026. Pairs, Dance look great! So, do the ladies. The event, has me concerned about our Canadian men though… 🙏🏽

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Canadian men, is going to be the weakest discipline for a little while. Very strange considering it's been the strongest discipline for decades.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Good for him! I got one of my university degrees at a later age, and having had some work experience at the time was a big help!
I'd got my MPhil in medieval linguistics and my MLS (since you can't make a living in my MPhil field -- I just took that for fun) and had just started my PhD when we left Toronto. Many years later, with an empty nest in my late 40s, I found that since I'd started it before they set time limits on it, I could still finish up that PhD and did. I've got a picture of me in my new robes, blowing out the candles on my 50th birthday cake. So you can do just about anything at any age with the desire and the encouragement! I was also still doing pairs skating recreationally in my 50s, partnered by an enthusiastic young coach who thought his new-old partner was a hoot. Just call me Deanna. (My husband wasn't as keen as my coach, but he knew better than to express a negative opinion to a lady wearing sharp skate blades. :laugh:)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
CrazyKittenLady has entered the chat.

4RZx62.gif

Sorry for the OT, couldn't resist.

ETA: I love Corey, and Conrad, and Roman and wish them the very best for the upcoming season!
aliona is a fierce kitty.

now... did you know that when you say "entered the chat " in french, le chat means the cat :)

re our men :
Corey, needs a quad. looks for a quad... finds a quad toe... then we can resume hope.

Conrad : needs events, looks for challengers, finds ACI and consistency ... then we can resume hope.

Roman : needs a sports psychologist... looks for a quad toe despite admitting in his vlog that not having a second quad is definitely not why he did badly this year, finds what??? can we resume hope?

Chiu : needs to remain on junior circuit and build consistency.

Jo Phan : needs to unretire, looks for new knees, finds new knees, then 4everchan is chanphan :)

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
And what would Gogolev need to find? Or do you think he is pretty well out of things at this point. It is going to be interesting next year to see if any of our men see a big opportunity with Keeghan gone and go for it. I mean one of them will have to be CAN Champ. Be kind of nice if they all started stepping it up as soon as the season starts and make it a good race.

Sackie

Medalist
Had a though - do you think more of the CAN JR ladies will stay in JRs longer now that they have raised the age limit for SR international events? Especially since a lot of our up and comers are so young. In the past it seemed once they did well in JRs (Medaled) they move up to SRs. But now wouldn't they do better to stay in JRs longer and get more experience.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
About Gogo? I will leave it to him to find whatever he needs to find... i am clueless.. he is capable of so much yet he keeps popping. I don't see it as the same as Roman... it's a different issue it seems.

Regarding the junior women... I don't know... it's not like there are tons of spots on the JPG circuit for them all... if they want to stick around in juniors, they need to do senior challengers... because the one championship where Canada has 3 spots if 4CC and they definitely should be ready and have their minimums for it.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
A clip from Corey's instagram - practising with Yuzu on the latter's visit - and showing his IB...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
They cannot bury it at this point... they will lose funding if they do. The sports minister has 0 tolerance for abuse.

Reactions: xox

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well be that as it may... skate canada controls skate safe....... it is all internal...... Skate Canada will try to bury diminish it as it is bad PR.....
BCYT ( 8 rinks)is notorious for this behaviour.
All sports organizations control their safe sport entities.... if you follow other sports, you may feel a bit more positive about the process. It is changing drastically in canada... hockey canada lost their funding until recently.. they had to show healthier pracfices... soccer canada : some of their key people had to resign..

i am hopeful...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
look at there comment... saying it is an independent third paty......... ( actually coontrolled / paid by skate canada)
I believe that all organizations mandate an independent third party... but yes, they sort of control it because they give it its mandate... again, i am hopeful this will be addressed

Status
Not open for further replies.