2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 44 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sackie

Medalist
Wow I really was thinking Gabby was done. Not sure how to feel about this since it has been so hard to watch her in the kiss and cry the last few years. Think the only time she looked really pleased was after her short at Skate Canada. I have always liked Gabby and often felt that except for the World Bronze that she was underscored, (Although even there she should have been ahead of Kaetlyn in the free), but if she is ready by the fall will this mean she will be sent out to events ahead of some of the promising youngsters who have been showing promise and who need to get out internationally more. I am sure if she is ready for it she will get one of the SCI spots and once again one of our other women will loose a chance to be on the international stage. (Remember last year they didn't even fill the 3rd spot!)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
A new podcast with Paul Poirier by the BBC. It's in a series of podcasts with LGBT athletes, but covers many aspects of his career. It is an interesting listen, as it doesn't just plow through the "standard" FS interview questions. It's about half an hour long.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A fluff piece in the Edmonton Journal for Kurt Browning's retirement from Stars on Ice.

Kurt Browning retrospective article

It's interesting that he feels he is getting too old to perform, while Elvis, only 5 years younger, is still going very strong. Of course, Elvis took a big break after he retired from competition.

Yes, and a several-years-long break makes such a difference in wear and tear on the body. That's something Deanna Stellato has certainly shown us, although her break was 16 years.

Two of my kids and I saw Kurt Browning in SOI when he was pushing 50. We all agreed that he was the best and most entertaining skater, even though some of my favorites skated there. He just gave everything and didn't give a thing up. It was really impressive.

Sorry for responding to this so late, but I just had to! :LOL:

Sackie

Medalist
Now that it is official that Messing has retired who do you think is going to step up this year to be Canada's # 1 man internationally? Also how many CAN men will get Gran Prix assignments and will they come out fighting right off the bat to establish themselves in the running for #1. As we know from Keeghan being # 1 does not have to mean being CAN champ. So I can see Conrad doing well in the fall and being ranked as top CAN man, but maybe not being CAN champ since going into Nationals as the expected winner does not always work out that way. I just think that under Ravi, Conrad is showing great promise. But as we saw last year anything is possible at nationals - had Gogolev had even an OK short he would have placed 2nd. Really think next year is going to be interesting for the CAN men.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I wouldn't rule out any Canadian man. This is the time to shine. With Worlds in Canada the competition will be intense. I'm only sad that Joseph Phan retired.
don't make me cry....Joseph was really the next Patrick Chan in terms of skating skills... Now... i see no one coming close.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wouldn't rule out any Canadian man. This is the time to shine. With Worlds in Canada the competition will be intense. I'm only sad that Joseph Phan retired.
100% agree.

The Canadian men's field is wide open. One of these guys (or more) need to step it up and deliver. They have the skills. It's a matter of confidence IMO. The mantle of Canadian Men's Champion is far too prestigious to be awarded to someone who is the best of a mediocre field.

I want a real winner, not someone who was slightly less terrible than everyone else.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Now that it is official that Messing has retired who do you think is going to step up this year to be Canada's # 1 man internationally? Also how many CAN men will get Gran Prix assignments and will they come out fighting right off the bat to establish themselves in the running for #1. As we know from Keeghan being # 1 does not have to mean being CAN champ. So I can see Conrad doing well in the fall and being ranked as top CAN man, but maybe not being CAN champ since going into Nationals as the expected winner does not always work out that way. I just think that under Ravi, Conrad is showing great promise. But as we saw last year anything is possible at nationals - had Gogolev had even an OK short he would have placed 2nd. Really think next year is going to be interesting for the CAN men.
I think Wesley Chiu is the most reliable and the least likely to have a huge growth spurt to ruin his chances. He is very watchable live as well. I am betting on him.

yesterday

Record Breaker
FAA had shoulder issues and was sick the night before... too bad... clay is not his surface anyway. Bibi and Leylah both ousted higher ranked players in the first round... YAY
And an honorably mention goes to Shapo, making third round so far.

btw.. we host the 3x3 Worlds 🏀 in Vienna atm. Canada sent a Women's but no Men's team. Is there any specific reason, is it a topic of public interest in general?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
And an honorably mention goes to Shapo, making third round so far.

btw.. we host the 3x3 Worlds 🏀 in Vienna atm. Canada sent a Women's but no Men's team. Is there any specific reason, is it a topic of public interest in general?
No idea but the women's is much more competitive. Maybe the men did not qualify?

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
When do the GP assignments come out? Just wondering what CANs will get assignments.
As @skim1001 already said, we won't know the actual assignments until most likely (hopefully) the end of June, but there are some skaters who are guaranteed spots (if they choose to compete).

Two assignments each:
Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps
Lia Perreira / Trennt Michaud
Brooke McIntosh / Benjamin Mimar

Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Soerensen

At least one assignment each:
Kelly Ann Laurin / Loucas Ethier

Madeline Schizas

Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha
Carolane Soucisse / Shane Firus*
Marie-Jade Lauriault / Romain Le Gac
Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont

*Possibly transferring to Ireland

Apart from that, Skate Canada is free to choose whoever they want to pick for the host spots, and any other federation can choose from the top 75 in the 2022-23 season's best list. (Which would currently include Conrad, Roman, Stephen, Wesley, Matthew Newnham and Aleksa Rakic for men; Kaiya, Gabby, Sara-Maude and Justine for women; Chloe Panetta / Kieran Thrasher, Tilda Alteryd / Gabriel Farand, Lori-Anne Matte / Thierry Ferland and Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan Taylor for pairs; and Alicia Fabbri / Paul Ayer, Molly Lanaghan / Dmitre Razgulajevs, Sandrine Gauthier / Quentin Thieren, Lily Hensen / Nathan Lickers, Emmy Bronsard / Jacob Richmond, Jordyn Lewis / Noah McMillan (likely staying juniors for one more season) for ice dance.) Keep in mind that the maximum number of entries one country can get per discipline is 18 (3 entries each in 6 events), so skaters lower down the season's best list are often very unlikely to receive any assignments due to their country mates already filling up all available spots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.