2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2022–23 Canadian Figure Skating

Status
Not open for further replies.

yesterday

Record Breaker
It would be professional if they not wrote "Trent" (twice). Sorry for being picky here but :angry:
Otherwise it looks good.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
It would be professional if they not wrote "Trent" (twice). Sorry for being picky here but :angry:
Otherwise it looks good.
HAHA... i knew someone else would pick that one up and make that post... i thought i shall refrain from being a grammar police for once since @elektra blue is rarely ever seen if ever, in this thread :)

Last edited:

SkatersWaltz

On the Ice
A fluff piece in the Edmonton Journal for Kurt Browning's retirement from Stars on Ice.

Kurt Browning retrospective article

It's interesting that he feels he is getting too old to perform, while Elvis, only 5 years younger, is still going very strong. Of course, Elvis took a big break after he retired from competition.
If I'm being completely honest, and I really hate to say it but Kurt's solo performances at SOI in Ottawa yesterday were some of the weaker performances. He struggled with most of his jumps (falling three times) and his spins were slow so I think he really is feeling his age.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If I'm being completely honest, and I really hate to say it but Kurt's solo performances at SOI in Ottawa yesterday were some of the weaker performances. He struggled with most of his jumps (falling three times) and his spins were slow so I think he really is feeling his age.
It was similar at the holiday show. On the other hand, Elvis was very good there. In fact. Elvis seems to have improved since he was in the Thank You Canada tour.

I actually went to see Brian Orser in his last year on Stars on Ice, and the applause for him was definitely related to who he was and what he'd accomplished, rather than what he actually brought to the show. But we did get to see Shen/Zhou!

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Otherwise it looks good.
And quite OT, but if you live out on the Pacific coast, you snicker when you see "Western University". When it was still called University of Western Ontario, that was fine, but whoever decided to shorten it to the snappier just-plain Western....helloooo, have you looked at a map of Canada lately? :bang:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Team Canada celebrates Asian-Canadian Olympians.... had to share this one because of my beloved Patrick Chan :) but there are a couple stars in this roster among my all time faves too :)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
We had heard the rumours... about an ice dance team switching countries.

It seems it would be Carolane and Shane, going to Ireland. They will be competing at the Irish nationals in June. (see thread about country changes).

I am not too surprised it is them @xox was talking about... because well, @xox has often given us news about the Firus's bros.

I am not too surprised they feel like trying their luck representing another country, but I feel they should have made their move a long time ago... it's a bit late in my opinion... but better late than never.

I am honestly relieved as I feared it may be another team that I like a lot... (not going to name them because I certainly don't want to give them ideas LOL)

SubRosa

I love Lussi
Final Flight
Country
Canada
The JGP General Announcement came out yesterday. Canada has two ice dance entries and one entry for men in each of the seven events, one entry for women in each event except Armenia (the last event), and two pair entries in each of the four pairs events (2nd - Austria, 3rd - Turkey, 5th - Hungary and 6th - Poland). Any speculation on who the likely candidates will be?

Sackie

Medalist
The JGP General Announcement came out yesterday. Canada has two ice dance entries and one entry for men in each of the seven events, one entry for women in each event except Armenia (the last event), and two pair entries in each of the four pairs events (2nd - Austria, 3rd - Turkey, 5th - Hungary and 6th - Poland). Any speculation on who the likely candidates will be?
This may sound harsh but I kind of hope that Skate Canada decides to choose 2 young women to get 2 events. I know this lessens the total number of women getting a chance but at least it is not putting the added pressure on them of having to do their best in their one and only event. And as we have seen in the JR events a skater can improve quite a bit from one event to the next.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Pairs: Kemp/Elizarov will certainly get two of the spots, and probably the top 3 novice pairs (Jean/Laliberté-Laurent, Callahan/Leduc, Behnke/Sauve). The other junior pairs unfortunately aren't junior-eligible anymore next season (unless they form some new partnerships), but it's possible some of the lower-ranked novices show great improvements in the next few months and could snag a spot or two. Canada is also likely to get a few more spots from countries that finished ahead of them (Australia, Ukraine, and Japan are all unlikely to be able to fill all of their entry spots).

Ice Dance: Probably the top two novice teams (Chung/Mackenzie, Carandiuc/Carandiuc), possibly also Cinçon-Debout/Celestino (though they could choose to represent the Philippines like Celestino's older brother). Lewis/McMillan, Veillon/Brandys, and Sabatini-Speciale/Buelow probably too, and then whoever has found a new partner by then or is still with their partner (Oddson and Hubert are still searching, as is Foroglou-Gadoury. Giang seems to have found a partner, not sure of Yu's status. Also not really sure of Ben Khelifa/Zhu, but if they're still together, they'll get two spots for sure).

Men: Probably Aleksa Rakic, Anthony Paradis, Grayson Long and Edward Vasii. Maybe one of Rio Morita or David Li too? Depends on how many of them they want to give two spots to (2 or 3). Might also get a few more spots (from Switzerland, most likely).

Women: Maybe Fiona or Kaiya (depending on if they get one of the host spots at Skate Canada), possibly Justine Miclette. If they don't send the older Juniors, they'll probably send Hetty Shi, Rose Théroux and Aleksa Volkova/Kara Yun.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
This may sound harsh but I kind of hope that Skate Canada decides to choose 2 young women to get 2 events. I know this lessens the total number of women getting a chance but at least it is not putting the added pressure on them of having to do their best in their one and only event. And as we have seen in the JR events a skater can improve quite a bit from one event to the next.
I don't mind the suggestion as long as the other junior women get sent to junior challengers...at this point, the pool of talent in junior women is quite interesting but if they don't get opportunities, they will not develop further.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Ice Dance: Probably the top two novice teams (Chung/Mackenzie, Carandiuc/Carandiuc), possibly also Cinçon-Debout/Celestino (though they could choose to represent the Philippines like Celestino's older brother). Lewis/McMillan, Veillon/Brandys, and Sabatini-Speciale/Buelow probably too, and then whoever has found a new partner by then or is still with their partner (Oddson and Hubert are still searching, as is Foroglou-Gadoury. Giang seems to have found a partner, not sure of Yu's status. Also not really sure of Ben Khelifa/Zhu, but if they're still together, they'll get two spots for sure).
New development: Sophia Gover and Billy Wilson French have paired up and seem to be looking to represent Canada (also forgot about Emma Goodstadt (who I've decided is going to be my favourite skater because she has the same birthday as me - Just a few years younger :laugh:) and Christian Bennett pairing up).

Skate Canada is likely to monitor them, and Billy is a very good ice dancer, so it's possible they too will get a JGP spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.