2022-23 Injuries and ills | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Injuries and ills

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
this is so sad. All she has gone through; even if she couldn't beat Madeline she was a medal threat at nats. I wanted to see if she could win and go to worlds and challenge Gracie Gold. But both of them have shown character but it has taken so long for them to get back to top competitive shape. I am concerned about funding. I assumed as a national medallist she gets some funding but if she can't qualify at Nats for the national team is this the ending of funding and possibly Daleman as a skater? Does she have other sources of funding? I thnkk her brother also is skating competitively and he too may have lost funding because he was looking for a enw partner.

Regardless I hope Gabby gets well and can leave on her own terms.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As posted a bit everywhere... for those who would not follow the Canadian skating threads (home and Nationals)

Piper and Paul have w/d from Nationals. Piper had appendectomy. Wishing them well.

Source (Skate Canada) https://skatecanada.ca/2023/01/top-...canadian-tire-national-skating-championships/
Oh no! Poor Piper. I remember my sister having this happen and how loopy the strong meds made her feel. I wish her a very thorough recovery and will be missing them greatly. I was looking forward to seeing their progress at Canadians.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I always fear that Ilia will end up in this thread. Of course, Nathan stayed "Relatively" Injury Free his final season. I hope the same for Ilia. Seeing him fall on a quad axel attempt always makes me nervous.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I always fear that Ilia will end up in this thread. Of course, Nathan stayed "Relatively" Injury Free his final season. I hope the same for Ilia. Seeing him fall on a quad axel attempt always makes me nervous.
All athletes are prone to training related injury... I find it much more heartbreaking when it is something like appendectomy, which is random.

yesterday

Record Breaker
All athletes are prone to training related injury... I find it much more heartbreaking when it is something like appendectomy, which is random.
But on the other hand it's some kind of "routine" whereas some sports injuries can end your career immediately.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
But on the other hand it's some kind of "routine" whereas some sports injuries can end your career immediately.
Some illnesses can do that too by the way. All I am saying is that athletes are aware of the bruises and burns they will get from training. And yes, that's tragic when an injury like a concussion or a severe fracture, for instance, ends a career. However, something like a random illness is not preventable and can happen at anytime, in this case, in Piper and Paul's best season ever so far, where they have won every competition they have participated in... and were aiming for perhaps a perfect season, for something that is pure bad luck.

Also : routine, the procedure is... but the recovery is not that easy for an athlete aiming to get back into top shape. Sofia Kenin, tennis player, Australian Open (grand slam) champion, up to world no 4... never came back fully from her appendectomy.

Last edited:

yesterday

Record Breaker
Some illnesses can do that too by the way. All I am saying is that athletes are aware of the bruises and burns they will get from training. And yes, that's tragic when an injury like a concussion or a severe fracture, for instance, ends a career. However, something like a random illness is not preventable and can happen at anytime, in this case, in Piper and Paul's best season ever so far, where they have won every competition they have participated in... and where aiming for perhaps a perfect season, for something that is pure bad luck.

Also : routine, the procedure is... but the recovery is not that easy for an athlete aiming to get back into top shape. Sofia Kenin, tennis player, Australian Open (grand slam) champion, up to world no 4... never came back fully from her appendectomy.
Just saw that it was discussed similar in the other thread. Will leave it here.