2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 31 | Golden Skate

2022-23 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Record Breaker
He had a bunch of partners, the latest ones afaik Viktoria Vasilieva (2020/21) and Taisiya Sobinina (2019/20).
He was competing at junior level with Ustimkina, they very pretty reasonable - they got some medals from JGP, bronze from youth olympics and if I recall they even won some challenger event. Then he was skating with Atakhanova (after Spiridonov left Atakhanova for Kudriavtseva ) but Atakhanova had long term reoccurring injury and eventually had to retire. They did only two competitions together. If I recall, Amina thanked him that he was so patient and waited for her recovery. Then he skated with Sobinina and initially looked pretty strong but then somehow it went downhill - they were not that strong at both senior and junior nationals. The gossip was that Sobinina was injured. Then he skated with Victoria Vasilieva and even though they didn’t look as strong as with previous partners because she was new to pairs, they were not that bad. They looked like they could have potential. But they did only one competition together. And then he disappeared for a few years - his last competition was in 2020.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Link to a Russian media report on Morisi K.'s retirement:

Google Chrome translate:

Student Tutberidze Kvitelashvili ended his career as a figure skater

400_10000_max.jpeg
Alexander Mysyakin, Sport24

ended his sports career, according to the Georgian Figure Skating Federation.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
^^ What means "longeval"? Longevity? I don't remember Lei Wang. Who has he previously partnered? Is he younger than Peng? How is China doing in regard to rebuilding their pairs program?

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^^ What means "longeval"? Longevity? I don't remember Lei Wang. Who has he previously partnered? Is he younger than Peng? How is China doing in regard to rebuilding their pairs program?
1. I have seen it used as 'having longevity'. I like the word; personal quirk.
2. Xuehan Wang.
The rest: no idea.

hanca

Record Breaker
Well, I don't know if I'm supposed to be proud of myself for putting two and two together back when Safina/Berulava split, or if I'm supposed to be disappointed in the people involved... Maybe both, who knows.
Well, at least there will be one reasonable pair left skating for Georgia. With Tutberidze’s daughter and her partner switching to Georgia, and Gubanova in ladies, I would say Georgia is getting ready for team events! The only weak category in Georgia will be men. Kvitelashvilli retired and Nika Egadze did not manage to get into free skate at the last worlds.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Well, at least there will be one reasonable pair left skating for Georgia. With Tutberidze’s daughter and her partner switching to Georgia, and Gubanova in ladies, I would say Georgia is getting ready for team events! The only weak category in Georgia will be men. Kvitelashvilli retired and Nika Egadze did not manage to get into free skate at the last worlds.
Hmm, let's see how Metelkina/ Berulava match up and come together as a team. Metelkina has not impressed me as a particularly consistent jumper. She has been somewhat appealing, and she did fairly well with Danil Parkman, but they had not yet come fully into their own before splitting. It was Parkman's out-sized, dramatic personality that was the real draw for me.

The young Georgian ice dance team, Kazakova/ Reviya, are very strong. They made a splash in juniors, but are having to adjust to the challenges of senior competition, as do most teams. With Davis/ Smolkin now also representing Georgia, we can surely look forward to competitive fireworks in their ice dance discipline.

Morisi K's last couple of seasons were not impressive. But he was strangely loved by the judges, so he will be missed by Georgia. Egadze has a lot to improve upon. Gubanova is talented, but she's often hit or miss competitively.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I notice that I've been spelling Parkman's first name inaccurately. It is spelled with two letters 'i' -- 'Daniil.'

I'm intrigued by the possibility of Daniil pairing with a U.S. skater. I've been wondering about the rumor. Perhaps it was known that Daniil came to the U.S. for a tryout? Maybe, if the rumor is true, it is being kept quiet until all the ducks are in a row, so to speak. I have realized that partnership pairings are a very delicate undertaking, particularly in the early stages when details and logistics are being ironed out. Also, in the age of social media, fs athletes find it even more crucial to keep certain things on the down low, until they are ready to publicly announce.

In any case, Daniil is not on Icepartnersearch. His Instagram is interesting though. He captions a post, 'Somewhere,' with a town centre that sports palm trees in the background. He is at the beach in another post, but it could be any beach. No matter. I wish Daniil much good luck. 🏝 🎉 Katie McBeath likely does as well. She appears to be one of his followers. 😘 Ah, but so are other skaters, mostly Russian and Georgian I suppose.

Last edited:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just read about this new U.S. pairs partnership on Blake Eisenach's Instagram. Blake had formerly been paired with Megan Wessenberg at the Irvine rink. After splitting, he toured in shows. Blake has announced that he's pairing with Haley Scott to compete in U.S. senior pairs:

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Okay guys, the Katie McBeath/ Daniil Parkman partnership is confirmed by photo evidence. They are in a lovely pairs group photo, with the guys holding up the ladies. The photo appears in an Instagram story posted six hours ago by Jenni Meno Sand, on the teamtoddandjenni Instagram account.

So the McBeath/ Parkman pairing is a reality. It just hasn't been publicly announced yet. Apparently, Nate will be coaching full time at the Irvine rink. I would imagine that Katie is still in an off-ice relationship with Nate. Katie looks very happy in the photo. I hope we get to see clips of this new pair team skating together soon. 👍

I'd also love to hear details about Parkman's decision to come to the U.S. for tryouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.