2023-24 Coaching, Country and Discipline Changes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Coaching, Country and Discipline Changes

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is this Tomoki's fourth or fifth coach? I remember when he left Kori Ade three weeks before Nats:eek2:

I say, as someone who adores his Russian splits and cantilevers, I am not sure that any issues he feels he has can be addressed in yet another coaching change. The issue may be closer to home. :(

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I don't follow him all that much, but are we sure Tomoki left all of his coaches of his own will? As a fan of a skater who has gone through several coaching changes in the last few years, out of which only one was his own decision (not reflected by some commentators who only see that he changes coaches often), I have to wonder.

Also, Nozomu is no longer coached by Keiji Tanaka and Sayaka Yodo, though he stays with Utako Nagamitsu. A wise decision I have to say, considering how busy Keiji has been with shows this year. I'm afraid his absence showed in Nozomu's results so far this season, and might have cost him the NHK host spot. Wishing for Nozomu to find a coach who an give him the time, attention and expertise he needs.

FlossieH

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
Corey Circelli is skating in a qualifier for Italian nationals..
I will admit that I find that strange. The Italian mens field is probably more difficult for him to excel in than the current Canadian one. I know that he isn't really breaking through to the international field representing Canada, but think he will struggle to do so for Italy as well. He is likely to be behind Rizzo, Memola and Frangipani as a minimum, and possibly behind Raffaele Zich as well - plus Daniel Grassl if he returns. Switching to the country of his birth (GB) would probably have made more sense.

throw_triple_flip

Final Flight
Country
United-Kingdom
I will admit that I find that strange. The Italian mens field is probably more difficult for him to excel in than the current Canadian one. I know that he isn't really breaking through to the international field representing Canada, but think he will struggle to do so for Italy as well. He is likely to be behind Rizzo, Memola and Frangipani as a minimum, and possibly behind Raffaele Zich as well - plus Daniel Grassl if he returns. Switching to the country of his birth (GB) would probably have made more sense.
When i saw the change on wikiedpia's page for this skating season my initial thought was that he might be considering going back into ice dance(but then i reliased that made no sense as he's down for singles).

Though. In terms of actual numbers there are more Canadian men. Perhaps he'd have more chances to compete internationally because there are less Italian men competing for assignments (even if at a championship level the top few are stronger)? There were 6 senior men at Italian nationals last year compared to Canada's 18. And Circelli's international PB would've put him 5th in Italian nationals by a comfortable margin. He was 5th last Canadian nationals with a similar score, but only narrowly and there were 3 or 4 skaters below who could perform similarly (and others who are capable of scoring much more than him, they just had a bad nationals).

It'll interesting to find out his reasons for changing countries. Perhaps it's for a different reason entirely.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When i saw the change on wikiedpia's page for this skating season my initial thought was that he might be considering going back into ice dance(but then i reliased that made no sense as he's down for singles).

Though. In terms of actual numbers there are more Canadian men. Perhaps he'd have more chances to compete internationally because there are less Italian men competing for assignments (even if at a championship level the top few are stronger)? There were 6 senior men at Italian nationals last year compared to Canada's 18. And Circelli's international PB would've put him 5th in Italian nationals by a comfortable margin. He was 5th last Canadian nationals with a similar score, but only narrowly and there were 3 or 4 skaters below who could perform similarly (and others who are capable of scoring much more than him, they just had a bad nationals).

It'll interesting to find out his reasons for changing countries. Perhaps it's for a different reason entirely.
I invoke cultural and language reasons ;) He may be realistic about his own aspirations but may want to get also a personal life experience from it.
As far as competition is concerned, he would get more chance as middle of the pack skater in any European country than in Canada. I am talking about Challengers and Series B. Some European skaters of his caliber do 3-4-5 and more smaller events. In Canada, skaters on the national team are lucky to get 1 international event.

Last edited:

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
Morozov - Eremenko (Ice dance, Russia) left the group of Angelika Krylova and plan to change sports citizenship and represent the French national team.
Thanks, can I just have the first names please?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Morozov - Eremenko (Ice dance, Russia) left the group of Angelika Krylova and plan to change sports citizenship and represent the French national team.

Makes sense. Although we always think of Annabelle in terms of being the daughter of Nikolai Morozov (RUS), she is also the daughter of Caroline Douarin (FRA).

I was actually thinking about Annabelle a few weeks ago. So, it is good to actually hear something about her.

CaroLiza_fan

Mariott

Now the flower is making its way through concrete
Record Breaker
Country
Russia
Makes sense. Although we always think of Annabelle in terms of being the daughter of Nikolaj Morozov (RUS), she is also the daughter of Caroline Douarin (FRA).

I was actually thinking about Annabelle a few weeks ago. So, it is good to actually hear something about her.

CaroLiza_fan
For now, there's talk of them training in the US for a while until Annabelle recovers from her injury. Then they'll decide where to move

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Rose Théroux, singles (next gen Canada-skating Seniors now) has moved from Marc-André Craig to Ravi Walia. It's on her ISU bio but then, we simply found out when Ravi appeared in the KnC with Rose at Challenge today... Interesting move.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Julia Szczecinina (Alternative spelling: Ioulia Chtchetinina, pairs) switched from Hungary to Poland.

They will be trained by Nolan Seegert (in Berlin) and Iwoną Mydlarz-Chruścińską in Katowice.

She is really well-traveled :) Good luck to her and new partner !

IceDancingQueen

Final Flight
Wow! Hopefully the Russian Fed actually releases them? Cause they wouldn’t even release Dario Cirisano so I cant imagine them being happy to release one of their top 4 teams. Maybe Morozov has some extra clout with the Fed like Eteri since they seemed to have no issue releasing Diana and Gleb. France would be a good move them. It would be nice for France to have 3 strong teams in Ice Dance with Lopareva/Brissaud and Locia and Theo, as they usually only have 1 or 2.

Country
Norway
It seems Mia Risa Gomez got a new coach and it´s former single skater Agnes Zawadski from the US? She is listed as Mia coach going to Euros.

Source: https://www.skoyteforbundet.no/nyheter/uttak-em-kunstlop/

Did Agnes do coaching before? She is very young, born in 94. I could not find any information on Wikipedia saying she is coaching now. Would say this is very exciting.

Apparently Agnes is/was living in Colorado Springs and Mia was training with team US at camp there this spring. So it seems likely they made some kind of connection there.

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
It seems Mia Risa Gomez got a new coach and it´s former single skater Agnes Zawadski from the US? She is listed as Mia coach going to Euros.

Source: https://www.skoyteforbundet.no/nyheter/uttak-em-kunstlop/

Did Agnes do coaching before? She is very young, born in 94. I could not find any information on Wikipedia saying she is coaching now. Would say this is very exciting.

Apparently Agnes is/was living in Colorado Springs and Mia was training with team US at camp there this spring. So it seems likely they made some kind of connection there.

Just did a quick search of ISU Bios during the Warm Up at 4 Nationals, and Agnes is listed as the coach and / or choreographer for quite a few skaters that represent Luxembourg. So, I guess she might be based there now.

I didn't know she was coaching either.

CaroLiza_fan