2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

3T3T

Final Flight
Country
Ireland
Russian pair skaters Daria Boyarintseva/Roman Pleshkov have split.

Roman has announced his retirement.

Source: https://tass.ru/sport/20551505

That’s disappointing to hear but best of luck to both of them in their retirements. I really liked their skating, they had a nice classical feel. I thought their move to Team Eteri was indicating a push to move up the rankings in Russia.

icedancefan17

Spectator
Summer Homick / Marty Haubrich (CAN, pairs) have split. Summer has switched to Ice Dance and paired up with Nicholas Buelow.

Interesting partnership in my opinion. Going from pairs to dance is a big switch because of the different types of skating pairs and dancers do. With the exception of the top teams, pairs aren’t totally known for their skating skills.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Interesting partnership in my opinion. Going from pairs to dance is a big switch because of the different types of skating pairs and dancers do. With the exception of the top teams, pairs aren’t totally known for their skating skills.
Shae-Lynn Bourne and Jayne Torvill both switched from pairs to dance quite successfully, and they had both been quite low-ranked in pairs.

icedancefan17

Spectator
Shae-Lynn Bourne and Jayne Torvill both switched from pairs to dance quite successfully, and they had both been quite low-ranked in pairs.
True, but ice dance element wise and level has change since then. I’m interested to see how it works. Then again, a lot of Canadian teams have split this year so it’s an open field.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
This will be the third competitive discipline for Homick now. She skated singles, then pairs, and now dance. You go girl!

Also, in reference to a comment upthread, in my humble opinion as a former competitive ice dancer as well as singles, ice dance has actually been dumbed down in requirement and complexity since the days of Torvill and Bourne. Bring all of those requirements and 3 parts of the competition back and we'll talk about it. So in other words, Homick should be fine, she wouldn't be switching if she didn't know what she was getting into and that she could make it happen.

I will be rooting for her!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
True, but ice dance element wise and level has change since then. I’m interested to see how it works. Then again, a lot of Canadian teams have split this year so it’s an open field.
Open field in ice dance in Canada ? That's what people thought would happen last year with all the teams retiring, splitting or moving to seniors... and it was a very deep field come Nationals. I expect just as much this year.

Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay also started out as pair skaters. Canadian skaters often train more than one discipline and since dance is all about acrobatic moves nowadays, she will be just fine.

Jamie Fournier who is Everest Zhu's partner was new to dance this season. She skated early on with Gabriel Farand and achieved some good results in pre-novice pairs..

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
Open field in ice dance in Canada ?
In Juniors, honestly yes. Because that's likely the age category Homick/Buelow will be competing in.

Of the 15 teams who have competed at Jr Nats 6 have split and 5 more are aging out of Juniors unless an age change happens, though there will definitely be a few new teams moving up from Novices too. The four teams remaining are Veillon/Brandys (1st), Gover/Wilson-French (7th), Cincon-Debout/Celestino (8th) and Carandiuc/Carandiuc (14th). Some other new teams will probably also form before next season (Gans and Boutsan are for example back off of IPS, so either they are skating together again, or have both found new partners), but in general, there are openings in the field for new and inexperienced teams to establish themselves, especially if they have another season of Jr-eligibility after the next one.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
In Juniors, honestly yes. Because that's likely the age category Homick/Buelow will be competing in.

Of the 15 teams who have competed at Jr Nats 6 have split and 5 more are aging out of Juniors unless an age change happens, though there will definitely be a few new teams moving up from Novices too. The four teams remaining are Veillon/Brandys (1st), Gover/Wilson-French (7th), Cincon-Debout/Celestino (8th) and Carandiuc/Carandiuc (14th). Some other new teams will probably also form before next season (Gans and Boutsan are for example back off of IPS, so either they are skating together again, or have both found new partners), but in general, there are openings in the field for new and inexperienced teams to establish themselves, especially if they have another season of Jr-eligibility after the next one.
For sure... But it is like this every year almost... Veillon Brandys will be hard to beat. I expect CDC to be much improved... They were already on that trajectory towards the end of the season. GWF were brand new but are so promising. Who knows what is happening with Gans and Boustan. I think that Summer found herself a very great partner who was already in the field 's upper echelon and they could be super good. But to say that the field is open is just forgetting about recent history. Teams moving up last year were even stronger than the ones the field is losing this year, and yet, Nationals were brutal... Anyways, I understand the comment, but I think it deserves some nuance, especially since for next season, there is a clear favourite team returning, which wasn't the case really in 2023-24.

Last edited:

Ruthypegs

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
For sure... But it is like this every year almost... Veillon Brandys will be hard to beat. I expect CDC to be much improved... They were already on that trajectory towards the end of the season. GWF were brand new but are so promising. Who knows what is happening with Gans and Boustan. I think that Summer found herself a very great partner who was already in the field 's upper echelon and they could be super good. But to say that the field is open is just forgetting about recent history. Teams moving up last year were even stronger than the ones the field is losing this year, and yet, Nationals were brutal...anyways, I understand the comment, but I think it deserves some nuance.
Billy Wilson-French is a very talented skater - it's a real pity that GB has lost him to Canada, but really I hope his partnership with Sophia Gover flourishes.

If you want to find out more about him, as well as other British elite skaters (including PJ Hallam and Nina Povey), there's an excellent documentary "Freeze" on BBC iplayer (you may need a VPN to access it). https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0bjjzw7/freeze-skating-on-the-edge-episode-1

Last edited:

RUKen

Rinkside
Well, this is a surprise. Not of the retirement as such, I mean they have been skating for quite a while together, but that Tim might be searching for another partner. Good luck to both of them!
The translated version of Misato's instagram post states: As for my future plans, I will participate in ice shows as a professional skater with Tim, so please contact me.

This suggests that Tim may also be retiring from competition.

Weathergal

Medalist
The Japanese ice dance team, Misato Komatsubara and Takeru Komatsubara (Tim Koleto) have ended their partnership. Misato will retire from skating, whereas Tim seems to be still considering his options.

Misato's comment: https://x.com/miichan728/status/1782334566167925110

Well, this is a surprise. Not of the retirement as such, I mean they have been skating for quite a while together, but that Tim might be searching for another partner. Good luck to both of them!

The translated version of Misato's instagram post states: As for my future plans, I will participate in ice shows as a professional skater with Tim, so please contact me.

This suggests that Tim may also be retiring from competition.
I'm also surprised by this for the reason ladyjane mentioned. If they both were retiring, that would not be all that surprising, considering how many years they've competed, they reached their Olympic dream, and it looks like they have some promising teams nipping at their heels. And, considering Misato's injuries - I didn't realize she had so many - it also makes sense.

But Tim possibly continuing without Misato surprises me, perhaps because they're married. Although there's certainly precedent for it - ex. Alexa Knierim continuing with Brandon Frazier.

I agree it sounds like he's retiring from skating when Misato mentions she'd be open to skating with him professionally, but apparently he's "considering his options," and he hasn't actually announced retirement, so who knows?

Last edited:

icedancefan17

Spectator
Open field in ice dance in Canada ? That's what people thought would happen last year with all the teams retiring, splitting or moving to seniors... and it was a very deep field come Nationals. I expect just as much this year.

Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay also started out as pair skaters. Canadian skaters often train more than one discipline and since dance is all about acrobatic moves nowadays, she will be just fine.

Jamie Fournier who is Everest Zhu's partner was new to dance this season. She skated early on with Gabriel Farand and achieved some good results in pre-novice pairs..
Many Junior teams in Canada this year have split. However, saying that, new teams always form.

Jamie Fournier did Junior dance with Anthony Haddad before Everest Zhu.