2023-24 Coaching, Country and Discipline Changes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Coaching, Country and Discipline Changes

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
The pairs partnership between Gabbie Izzo (a former U.S. singles skater) and Thierry Ferland was discussed on GS earlier this summer, probably in the New partnerships/ splits/ retirements thread. A post with a photo of G&T was made on Instagram by World Arena Skating Academy (WASA pairs) in Colorado, announcing the new partnership. The post was quickly removed, apparently due to no mutual decision having been finalized regarding which country they would represent. Fans had been left wondering, but in recent weeks, it's been well known that G&T have been training in Canada. And they were recently signed up for Canadian domestic events.

TSL Dave has posted a thread on GS forum linking a recent interview with Gabbie. Thus, Gabbie Izzo's partnership with Thierry Ferland (representing Canada) is confirmed. An official press release is probably on hold, while negotiations for Gabbie's release take place between Canadian and U.S. federations.
Oh, right, I found it finally, it was in last season's thread. I guess I'll just post them among new pairs again since I cannot edit the old thread, this time with the country specified. Thanks for the additional info.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Weathergal

Medalist
I speculate that both respective feds want Gabbie & Thierry to gloss over the mix-up where WASApairs posted about their new partnership, and then quickly removed the post.

In the TSL interview, Gabbie said she went to Canada for a tryout with Thierry, yet anyone who's followed closely knows that Thierry was definitely in Colorado as well. There was a post on WASApairs of Gabbie and Thierry doing a throw jump. And another post of Thierry & Gabbie hiking in Colorado's Garden of the Gods with skaters from the rink. Spencer was there visiting too, on that occasion.

I don't feel the whole mix-up with WASA jumping the gun needs to be dwelled on. But at the very least, there could have been a brief mention in the TSL interview that repping Canada made sense due to a possible quicker turnaround for Gabbie gaining Canadian citizenship, rather than vice versa.

I'm not bringing up any rumors. It has already been discussed here that SC had told skaters requesting releases, they would not be granted easily. Also, the very fact of WASApairs jumping the gun, is well known, and it was also discussed here on GS when it happened. I specifically said it's not something to be dwelt on. But it certainly led to questioning and wondering by fans. It makes sense in an interview to at least briefly talk about the country rep decision. It would have been simple enough to point out the quicker path to citizenship in Canada, and then move on. The fact that this topic was completely avoided shows that it's a sensitive issue.
I never said it didn't go both ways. I hope you recognize and accept the obvious points I have made as well. Clearly, it is a better choice for Gabbie & Thierry in Canada re the citizenship issue. And clearly, there was some kind of mix-up or miscommunication that led to WASApairs' post, which was quickly removed.

The pairs partnership between Gabbie Izzo (a former U.S. singles skater) and Thierry Ferland was discussed on GS earlier this summer, probably in the New partnerships/ splits/ retirements thread. A post with a photo of G&T was made on Instagram by World Arena Skating Academy (WASA pairs) in Colorado, announcing the new partnership. The post was quickly removed, apparently due to no mutual decision having been finalized regarding which country they would represent. Fans had been left wondering, but in recent weeks, it's been well known that G&T have been training in Canada. And they were recently signed up for Canadian domestic events.

You've mentioned that the WASA issue shouldn't be dwelled on - I agree. Yet, you've continued to mention it...

Can we just be happy for Gabbie and Thierry that they found a way to continue their skating careers in a way that makes them happy?

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
You've mentioned that the WASA issue shouldn't be dwelled on - I agree. Yet, you've continued to mention it...

Can we just be happy for Gabbie and Thierry that they found a way to continue their skating careers in a way that makes them happy?
Apparently, you're the one dwelling, by deciding to revive the conversation. So, I will respond: As I said, I don't see the harm in TSL having simply asked Gabbie what went into the decision to skate for Canada. That's a normal question to ask. The answer could have just been a quicker path to citizenship in Canada.

There are fans who are aware of the WASA post, including TSL Dave, but that doesn't mean it had to be mentioned at all. It would have been a simple matter to briefly ask about the country representation choice. The posts are still up of Thierry & Gabbie practicing a throw 3-salchow at the WASA rink, and of Gabbie, Thierry, & friends from the rink hiking in Colorado's Garden of the Gods.

Dave was referencing the WASA practice clip when he asked Gabbie about who she had been skating with in Colorado. Gabbie gave a general answer that clearly avoided any mention of Thierry. If they didn't want to discuss the country switch or citizenship issues specifically, fine. But there shouldn't be anything wrong with briefly saying, 'Thierry came down for a couple of weeks to continue training, and then I packed for the move to Canada.' Why skirt around the fact that Thierry was in Colorado?

I'm not criticizing Gabbie or Thierry, btw. It's clearly something sensitive going on between the two federations, and the skaters are caught in the middle, trying to make the best of what they can control. There's nothing wrong with me making these observations either. There needs to be more transparency in this sport, and fewer convoluted rules hampering the athletes.

I wonder why you think I'm not happy for G&T? I'm completely happy for them. And I'm very excited for Gabbie finding a partner and being able to extend her career in the pairs discipline. It has never mattered to me which country they skated for. I've always enjoyed watching and rooting for many Canadian and U.S. pairs and ice dance teams. To repeat: G&T would rise on the basis of talent in any country! Fans had simply been thrown off by the initial, hasty IG post announcing their pairing, that was quickly removed.

It makes a lot of sense for G&T to skate for Canada. And I hope G's release proceeds smoothly. The release process is certainly helped by the U.S. having a number of experienced pairs teams, along with many promising new and up-and-coming teams. I advocate for skaters to have less restrictions imposed on them for switching countries. Skaters should especially not be personally held hostage financially, as has happened recently to a U.S. ice dance team.

Marirue

On the Ice
Isabella Gamez/Aleksandr Korvin (PHI) has some coach reshuffling and change training location:
Although that they kept both Marina Zoueva and Dmitri Savin, it's just that they delegate Zoueva and her team in Florida as their main Choreographers (Sofia Efdokimova in part of it as well) while Savin will part of the coaching team together with Alexei Bychenko, Evgeni Krasnopolski, Galit Chait in NJ in which this is their current training location since Florida is being hit by hurricanes which is a smart move.

http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00113788.htm

Andrea82

Medalist
Coaching change
Daniel Grassl
From Tuberidze to Edoardo de Bernardis

Last edited:

macy

Record Breaker
Coaching change
Daniel Grassl
interesting.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Coaching change
Daniel Grassl
This close to the start of the season... I hope he can manage this move. Gosh.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
he's so consistent in having his mama worried...also i don't understand why he chose De Bernardis, he really doesn't stand out as a coach, he doesn't have a trackrecord of success...it really feels like a last minute choice. i'm not expecting anything from Daniel this season but i truly hope he finds what he needs

Last edited:

Seven Sisters

Medalist
he's so consistent in having his mama worried...also i don't understand why he chose De Bernardis, he really doesn't stand out as a coach, he doesn't have a trackrecord of success...it really feels like a last moment choice. i'm not expecting anything from Daniel this season but i truly hope he finds what he needs
I never could quite imagine him training with Eteri, though. He seems like a sensitive lad, given to missing his mama. He’s probably better off training closer to his family, friends and support system.

elektra blue

mother of skaters
Record Breaker
Country
Italy
I never could quite imagine him training with Eteri, though. He seems like a sensitive lad, given to missing his mama. He’s probably better off training closer to his family, friends and support system.
yes but i believe there were better choices

Weathergal

Medalist
he's so consistent in having his mama worried...also i don't understand why he chose De Bernardis, he really doesn't stand out as a coach, he doesn't have a trackrecord of success...it really feels like a last minute choice. i'm not expecting anything from Daniel this season but i truly hope he finds what he needs

yes but i believe there were better choices

I hope Daniel finds what he is looking for, because he clearly has not found it on his journeys. Staying in Italy may be what he needs for confidence and peace of mind.

Isn't De Bernardis the one who choreographed Giada Russo's "Red Violin" FS? That was a masterpiece!

I have no idea what kind of technical coach he is though - assuming it's even the same person.

I get the impression, as el henry mentioned, that Daniel is searching for something and just hasn't found that missing piece yet. He seems like such a sweet guy and a very hard-working one at that. I hope he finds what he needs as well.

angelatlantis14

Rinkside
What Daniel Grassl has: Unlimited talent, great courage and good work ethics.
What he is still seeking: consistency, full rotation and an artistic identity.
All of which are things that can be achieved with training, and growing maturity, in any environment. So I think he is right to return to a place where he feels good and at home, all the other things will come in time if he works on them (which I am sure he does).