2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 93 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

soccerjc77

On the Ice
How is Gabby Daleman doing right now ? Don't know why, but I have thinking of her today that she is probably the hope for a top 10 at worlds next year if she is in good shape.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Marjorie gets a tribute from her hometown rink.

How is Gabby Daleman doing right now ? Don't know why, but I have thinking of her today that she is probably the hope for a top 10 at worlds next year if she is in good shape.
Madeline is far more likely to place in the top ten at Worlds than Gabrielle, who hasn't had a good skate in over a whole Olympic cycle.

CoffeeFan

Rinkside
Country
Canada
I want to know where they got those Canadian flag skate guards!
I believe Skaters Edge Boutique sells them (from your other replies I gathered you're in BC). At least they did when I ordered e-guards from them over a year ago haha. They didn't have the colour I wanted and when I called them they offered to substitute any of the other colours, including the Canadian flag despite it being more expensive.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I believe Skaters Edge Boutique sells them (from your other replies I gathered you're in BC). At least they did when I ordered e-guards from them over a year ago haha. They didn't have the colour I wanted and when I called them they offered to substitute any of the other colours, including the Canadian flag despite it being more expensive.
Thanks, yes, I'm in Richmond! I thought maybe the team had had the guards specially made for them, but if I can buy a pair in the store, I will :clap:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On Instagram, there is a recent post from today, where ice princess Lia Cho is ready for her international debut!!

She is seen practicing a new combo:
3S 2A 2A (her double axels have so much height and cover up so much ice)😍
I have a feeling her free skate layout is going to be interesting as she usually goes for 2A 3T and 2A eu 3S. I wonder what she has up her sleeve as she has to reduce her technical content from 7 jumping elements to 6 jumping elements. Three combos down to two.

Also,
@saine I’m in shock, but, I’m so happy with this news. But, Lia Cho has been added to NextGen. We looked at the rules, and it was clear that NextGen is for athletes eligible to compete in the JGP circuit. Lia seems to be an exception. I was praying she would get chosen. She will benefit from skating in this elite group.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
On Instagram, there is a recent post from today, where ice princess Lia Cho is ready for her international debut!!

She is seen practicing a new combo:
3S 2A 2A (her double axels have so much height and cover up so much ice)😍
I have a feeling her free skate layout is going to be interesting as she usually goes for 2A 3T and 2A eu 3S. I wonder what she has up her sleeve as she has to reduce her technical content from 7 jumping elements to 6 jumping elements. Three combos down to two.

Also,
@saine I’m in shock, but, I’m so happy with this news. But, Lia Cho has been added to NextGen. We looked at the rules, and it was clear that NextGen is for athletes eligible to compete in the JGP circuit. Lia seems to be an exception. I was praying she would get chosen. She will benefit from skating in this elite group.
who knows if she will include that new toy but it would make sense.

I don't know her skill set as much as you do so I cannot really discuss layouts...

but i'd assume there is a 3lz-3t somewhere right ? that leaves her with the other jumps, loop, flip, salchow combo. She would have another repeated jump, anyone of these can work + 2t for a complete arsenal.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
who knows if she will include that new toy but it would make sense.

I don't know her skill set as much as you do so I cannot really discuss layouts...

but i'd assume there is a 3lz-3t somewhere right ? that leaves her with the other jumps, loop, flip, salchow combo. She would have another repeated jump, anyone of these can work + 2t for a complete arsenal.
You are correct.

I’m predicting:

3Lz 3T
3Lz
3Lo

3S 2A 2A
3S
3F

But, she usually goes for two 3F’s instead. But, I’m not sure she has a 3F 3T yet. So, it would be a waste to repeat the 3F and only land a 3F 2T. The above is the only layout that makes sense to me. We will see in a few days.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You are correct.

I’m predicting:

3Lz 3T
3Lz
3Lo

3S 2A 2A
3S
3F

But, she usually goes for two 3F’s instead. But, I’m not sure she has a 3F 3T yet. So, it would be a waste to repeat the 3F and only land a 3F 2T. The above is the only layout that makes sense to me. We will see in a few days.
Somehow I missed that she could only do two combos.

So in that case, it's much simpler indeed.
I think she will have to repeat the salchow indeed...but she could also repeat the 3t.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Somehow I missed that she could only do two combos.

So in that case, it's much simpler indeed.
I think she will have to repeat the salchow indeed...but she could also repeat the 3t.
Yup. Only two combos allowed in international novice events.
Her 2A eu 3S is a highlight for me at the end of her regular free skates.
I don’t think she can do a 3F 3T yet.
3Lz 3T she usually goes for, only in the SP as she is more comfortable with the 2A 3T for her free skates
She could do a solo 3T. But, her salchow is her most comfortable triple jump and it is worth more points. The 3Lo is the jump she struggles with the most. So, I hope she has been practicing that triple jump. 3Lz 3T will be a critical jump element for her this week.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
That'll be good experience for her to participate and get the experience before she's eligible for JGP. She has the scores for it by their metrics. Plus she'll be around the junior skaters who have that JGP experience, and know what it's like to compete on that stage. It'll be a big jump when she does go out there and it doesn't always go easily.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That'll be good experience for her to participate and get the experience before she's eligible for JGP. She has the scores for it by their metrics. Plus she'll be around the junior skaters who have that JGP experience, and know what it's like to compete on that stage. It'll be a big jump when she does go out there and it doesn't always go easily.
Yup. I’m really excited!!
She seems like a happy go lucky athlete! She loves figure skating ⛸️
This upcoming international experience will be an amazing experience for her.
NextGen will expose her to athletes like Uliana (higher TES elements), Hetty (skating skills) and Lulu (good combo of both).

Moving forward, I hope that SC sends her to international events to compete against Americans, Koreans and Japanese athletes at the Novice Level, in the upcoming two seasons.

Last edited:

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Off on a plane she goes:

This was 11 hours ago. I hope she has landed 🛬 in Slovenia by now

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Since this popped up on Twitter...

Misha Ge's Instagram post for choreographing Hetty Shi had #TeamRaf in the caption. I noticed the hashtag but didn't think about it until someone mentioned she had changed coaches. Her ISU bio hasn't updated for any coaching change though.

Edit: he also used the same hashtag for Teryn Kim, who is under Rafael Arutyunyan.

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Marjorie gets a tribute from her hometown rink.

Madeline is far more likely to place in the top ten at Worlds than Gabrielle, who hasn't had a good skate in over a whole Olympic cycle.

What is Canada to do??? They are in so much trouble in singles skating with no real clear cut skater to make top ten in men's and or women? They maybe need a different approach. I saw how much Michael slipchuk was making ten years ago on some sunshine list. Maybe it is time for him to go. USA,, Georgia, Italy, Japan, France and if RUssia comes back are ahead of them team wise - the shame and humiliation if Canada fails to reach to reach the Olympic team finals which is very likely. Maddie lacks dedication and passion. Roman, Stephen. Conrad, Wesley are not exactly super competitive or consistent in a good way. If Deanna retires the pairs situation isn't exactly overly promising. DAnce yes, LaLa look to be ready to take over the mantle. Looks like Laurence and Nik are trending down:(