2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships | Page 15 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Retirements, Splits and New Partnerships

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Jared is now on Ice Partner Search too.

Best of luck to him in finding a new partner!

Cayla Smith (US Junior Pairs) is on Ice Partner Search, so has split with Jared McPike, following their 2 silver medals at the Youth Olympics.

https://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=7319

Good luck to Cayla in her hunt for a new partner! And best of luck to Jared in the future too (I haven't seen any posts from him, and he's not on IPS, so I'm not sure whether he will seek a new partner.)
Following the link, it says her posting has been removed?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
insomnia : went on IPS for fun... well.. so many young Canadian teams have split up it's too long to even start making a list. I will try to go to bed instead... but if I believe this list Marianne Hubert, Audra Gans, Chloé Menta, Dana Sabatini-Speciale, Caroline Kravets etc..

LKGwennire

On the Ice
Country
Brazil
Catharina Guedes Tibau and Cayden Dawson (Ice dance juniors from Brazil) announced they have split after two seasons 😞
She posted it in Portuguese but you can use Insta's auto translate. Anyway, the announcement says:
Unfortunately, our goals are no longer aligned, and our career together ends here. I wish Cayden all the best in whatever he decides to do in the future. Thank you very much for the moments shared, memories created, and stories written
@ice.dance.elite.insta, I am grateful for all the time you've dedicated to us 🥰.
@icebrasil, without you, none of this story would have been written. Thank you very much for all the support 😚.

See you soon 🤞🏻! 🫶🏻,
Cat.

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
WHAT NO!!!!!!!
Yep, was being discussed in U.S. pairs thread (and in World pairs 2024 thoughts thread) just prior to seeing posting of Chelsea's announcement on Insta.

TSL Dave spilled the beans during his 2024 Worlds review episode when he mentioned that U.S. figsk had asked Balasz to do a tryout with Audrey Shin. In an earlier episode, Dave had indicated how Balasz/ Chelsea and Emily/ Spencer had competed head-to-head during recent Synchro competition, though I'm not sure their performances were made available on the streaming broadcast. Anyway, Chelsea apparently fell on every jump and throw attempt. 😟 C&B had such a fabulous World-class twist and a nice vibe together. But Chelsea has been through a lot with concussions, so perhaps she preferred to not deal with the pressure of placing too many heavy expectations on herself in this most difficult of disciplines.

If Audrey is looking promising as a pairs girl, apparently U.S. figsk wants her matched up quickly with an experienced partner. Wishing Chelsea good luck and much happiness! ❤️

Last edited:

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Why sad ? She is doing the right thing for her mental health. Her message is quite positive. I wish more athletes would prioritize their mental health over competition.

It's very possible ... and very human ... to have conflicting feelings at the same time.

What if USFS has been on the better side for all these years, not taking a stronger hand in making or breaking our pairs skaters?

What if that's more supportive of our athletes' mental health? Could it mean that for a long time, USFS acted on the belief that our athletes' mental health is actually more important than winning more medals?

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
Aw I’m sad about this as I liked them together. There was such an age difference though so I hope Liza can find a younger partner where there is more room to grow over the years and have partnership longevity.
I'm not sure who is left to partner with her. She is quite tall. I always liked her in juniors and hoped that she would have a flourishing senior career!