2023 CS Autumn Classic Men's Short Program | Page 22 | Golden Skate

2023 CS Autumn Classic Men's Short Program

yesterday

Record Breaker
So, wow. Boys mess is back? JGPs were flawless compared to this event :biggrin:
This will be a great FS for the men then, right?

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
So, wow. Boys mess is back? JGPs were flawless compared to this event :biggrin:
This will be a great FS for the men then, right?
1694804837561.png

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh sweet baby Jesus, Ilia has improved his presentation, but that is just....

:palmf::palmf::palmf:
The Japanese judge obviously got a little over-excited. The rest of the PCS scores were consistently 8-9, averaging about 8.5, which seems about right, and that's very good for the first competitive outing for the program.

Honestly, I thought Donovan was hosed a bit on the PCS. Mostly 5's and 6's. Obviously, the jumping passes were a mess, but I don't think he got enough credit for what he did very well - selling that program. His final combo spin was criminally underscored.

And this is a controversial opinion, but I think Kevin was overscored on PCS. I like his skating generally, but that was just not good. His mistakes sapped the energy from the program, and the music and choreo didn't help him do much to save it.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The Japanese judge obviously got a little over-excited. The rest of the PCS scores were consistently 8-9, averaging about 8.5, which seems about right, and that's very good for the first competitive outing for the program.

Honestly, I thought Donovan was hosed a bit on the PCS. Mostly 5's and 6's. Obviously, the jumping passes were a mess, but I don't think he got enough credit for what he did very well - selling that program. His final combo spin was criminally underscored.

And this is a controversial opinion, but I think Kevin was overscored on PCS. I like his skating generally, but that was just not good. His mistakes sapped the energy from the program, and the music and choreo didn't help him do much to save it.

I would say 8 is right for Ilia rather than 8.5, but a minor quibble. I really liked seeing him actually perform to the music and seem to recover that enjoyment of performing to the music: I had my doubts about Malagueña, but this is a good vehicle for him.

Donovan was totally hosed. Yes, the jumps were a disaster, but Donovan never lets that interfere with the other elements of a program, and he should get credit (IMO) for that.

I say, as a Kevin fan, that program is not the best for him. I Cannot. Stand. That. music. It does not at all enhance what Kevin does best. I was disappointed.

mrrice

Record Breaker
My Goodness....Clearly, Ilia has been working hard to improve his presentation skills. That score is MASSIVE. Can't wait to see it.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would say 8 is right for Ilia rather than 8.5, but a minor quibble. I really liked seeing him actually perform to the music and seem to recover that enjoyment of performing to the music: I had my doubts about Malagueña, but this is a good vehicle for him.
Ilia's cut of Malaguena was well done. If I hadn't known that was the music, then I wouldn't have known. It didn't feature the better-known semi-warhorse segments (a good thing, Brava SLB). I didn't completely buy Ilia as a sexy Latin leading man, but such a step up! And plenty of room for expression to improve as well.

I'm trying to figure out how to say it... I could see where he was intentional about musicality, choreography, hands, extension.... but it didn't seem quite natural just yet. Completely forgivable at this point in the season, but noticeable.

I was neutral about this music until I saw the show-version preview. Now I'm really interested in seeing this develop.

Remilia

On the Ice
hmm, not feeling the first half of Ilia's short, but I really like the second half! Nice to see him so clean early on in the season, hopefully he'll be able to keep it up.

mrrice

Record Breaker
He's also spinning much faster and more smoothly this year. He gets that from his gorgeous mom. I hope he skates well in the free. With his lead, he'll likely win no matter how he skates but....He can really send a message if he skates well.