Aaron striving to become more balletic on the ice | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Aaron striving to become more balletic on the ice

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link to the article, karne. :yay:

As I've already said elsewhere, I think Phillip Mills did a great job on both programs (but especially the free skate). Hopefully Max will be able to put his improved line, extension, ect. together with his technical content intact.

I know some people said Max should've stuck to "being himself" or whatever... but imo, doesn't seem like "jumping athletic hockey player" is Max (not all of Max, anyway). He looks genuinely happy to be skating his new programs--more happy than he looked on Footloose or Gladiator.

The main thing is to choose music and choreograph programs that play to Max's strengths - I don't think the "genre" of the music is the main thing. I think that the most crucial thing is that the music should have a certain "drive" - momentum, if you will. Of course he can develop further in his presentation - which I believe these programs will do - but whilst utilising Max's core strengths - which, again, I think these programs do. So, in short, I think Philip Mills has done excellent work - thinking outside the box by choosing music that most of us would not have thought of, whilst utilising Max's natural gifts as well. Well done! :thumbsup:

gmyers

Record Breaker
It's very important for him to become more in line with North American proper. He's tried not being North American proper but its not working.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's very important for him to become more in line with North American proper. He's tried not being North American proper but its not working.

North American proper? What does that even mean?! :laugh2:

gmyers

Record Breaker

Sometimes its called cop skating or not being a 6.0 skater. It's with classical and transitions and lots of focus on classical choreo. It's what nichol and Inman always talk about. Carroll and orser. European silver medalist is kovtun. That shows everything. Look at 4cc compared to euros. Look at skating and programs. I wonder if aaron will reduce quads too. Get rid of some.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
not a huge follower of him... but... to me, it's like if Elvis had tried to become graceful.... Elvis was strong and muscular and played to his strengths ... and I think that Max Aaron shouldn't try to become something that doesn't match his natural skills and dispositions... remain powerful, work on flow and speed, but extension? even if he got there, it wouldn't look balletic... just awkward

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I have to agree with that. I'm not sure why he's trying to become something he's not. Being balletic doesn't necessarily increase your scores by itself, it's just a style. If this is truly the style he thinks expresses himself best, and he's hid it from us all these years, then okay. How nice of you to "come out". But otherwise it's just never going to gel; it won't be inspired. Working on his basic skating and footwork sequences would do him the most good.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I think he can overcome his stereotype if the determination and drive to do so comes from him. It sounds like this is something he wants to do himself, not something his team or coach is bringing up. -How awesome would it be if he could re-invent himself? :cheer:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm with Karne here. I love that choreo sq so much already that I've watched that part alone multiple times. Like ten times for each viewing of the entire FS :love:

We should start ChSq Anonymous. Hi, I'm karne and I've watched Max's ChSq five times today (so far).

Consider the source...

I think he can overcome his stereotype if the determination and drive to do so comes from him. It sounds like this is something he wants to do himself, not something his team or coach is bringing up. -How awesome would it be if he could re-invent himself? :cheer:

He doesn't have to reinvent himself for me to think he's awesome, but if he wants to, that's awesome too. :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Bit of cross-posting... sorry...

IceNetwork has finally restored the missing stream of Max's SP from WTT and can be viewed in its entirety here:

http://web.icenetwork.com/video/v76521983/?event=2015_world_team_trophy (Subscribers only -- ~46:00 minute mark) ...

:clap: Thank you.

Thx to samm22 for re-posting the link for sabinfire's "old" video of the Japanese broadcast of Max's SP at 2015 WTT.

Thx again to sabinfire for tracking down the Japanese broadcast -- with Japanese commentary, naturally.

AFAIK, it remains the one and only YT vid of Max's SP at WTT.

Last edited:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Shocking, isn't it? I mean, the original Japanese broadcast of Max's SP obviously had been recorded by someone and uploaded somewhere on the internet, because it found it's way to a Chinese website in deteriorated quality. I have not come across anything at all since, let alone anything of better quality. (Although it should be noted that I have not done an exhaustive search for Max's video, and I found the one above by accident while looking for different WTT programs.)

The ISU archive has yet to fix either Max's SP or S/K FS, which are both still cut as they were in the original livestream. IceNetwork is the only location that has fixed the Men's SP archived stream, and recently IN has started watermarking all of their archived footage with a big "icenetwork" logo across the screen, so I imagine that is why it has not been uploaded for YouTube. I suppose one could always 'blur' the icenetwork logo with a video editor, but I assume IN watermarks their on-demand content now for a reason...

Warwick360

Medalist
Last time I checked balletic moves don't give higher component scores. Cue Park So Youn. Apparently the more one flings their arms the more it is quite component worthy. :disapp::bang:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Last time I checked balletic moves don't give higher component scores. Cue Park So Youn. Apparently the more one flings their arms the more it is quite component worthy. :disapp::bang:

And what does she have anything to do with this?

You know, I almost wouldn't mind if he kept the old Carmen costume for the Black Swan. As long as it has been thoroughly de-jinxed!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
And what does she have anything to do with this?

You know, I almost wouldn't mind if he kept the old Carmen costume for the Black Swan. As long as it has been thoroughly de-jinxed!

I guess what they're trying to say is conforming to the norm doesn't always translate into higher marks. So Youn has had ballet training but she doesn't get higher marks while other skaters who are not balletic (like Liza) get high marks just fine.

I don't think Max needs to balletic but I can understand why he would want to, I'd like to watch him for a season before deciding whether or not it helps him

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I guess what they're trying to say is conforming to the norm doesn't always translate into higher marks. So Youn has had ballet training but she doesn't get higher marks while other skaters who are not balletic (like Liza) get high marks just fine.

I don't think Max needs to balletic but I can understand why he would want to, I'd like to watch him for a season before deciding whether or not it helps him

Except in this case, it already has. His PCS for the FS at WTT was a new PB internationally for him.

Liza gets high marks because she jumps like a beast and skates with confidence and attack.