On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
this truly is a disaster event - hope they're ok and that this was picked up with a routine test and not because of symptoms.

Looking like we might need a thread titled "US Nationals covid withdrawals"
Jackie says they are testing on arrival to the arena. He had to wait for his results before he could go in this am. Curiously this doesn’t appear to apply to spectators.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is pretty sad news, to have the women's and pairs frontrunners withdraw.

Hopefully Alysa recovers and everyone else can stay healthy.

I think with 3 spots and Liu's performances this season, she'll still be off to the Olympics but whether she'll be cleared to compete is another thing.

What a mess though.

Country
Norway
This is pretty sad news, to have the women's and pairs frontrunners withdraw.

Hopefully Alysa recovers and everyone else can stay healthy.

I think with 3 spots and Liu's performances this season, she'll still be off to the Olympics but whether she'll be cleared to compete is another thing.

What a mess though.
When are they leaving for Beijing? This is what I fear also, if she cleared to compete?

Also i´m afraid more of the skaters will get in after this event, and they are soon leaving for 4CC which should be a totally other Team so this is starting to get really interesting with Gold missing the minimum and Isabeau too young.

ice_tulip

On the Ice
ETA - here's a screenshot of Alysa's Instagram story, giving more details (apologies for the squished look, resizing it seems to have messed with the formatting):

View attachment 4835
She seems pretty cheerful about her withdrawal. Kinda like she's relieved.

It's not surprising she caught COVID considering the ill-fitting mask she appeared to be wearing with huge gaps around her nose. Petite skaters -- including child skaters -- should be wearing appropriately-sized masks. These tiny teenagers are wearing adult-sized masks when they actually require child-sized masks. They are children, after all! Otherwise wearing those N95s does nothing. So when the skaters are confused how they caught COVID with an N95, someone needs to explain to them that the masks need to be worn properly in order to work.

mrrice

Record Breaker
this truly is a disaster event - hope their ok and that this was picked up with a routine test and not because of symptoms.

Looking like we might need a thread titled "US Nationals covid withdrawals"
It sure does. I imagine that China will not let her into the country so, there's no need for a committee bid in this case. I know that people can still get sick after being vaccinated, has she said whether or not, she has taken the Vaccine and the Booster? She was our best hope for a top 6 finish and I don't think the rest of the Ladies have the technical firepower to get into the final flight......:(

mayiko

Spectator
She seems pretty cheerful about her withdrawal. Kinda like she's relieved.

It's not surprising she caught COVID considering the ill-fitting mask she appeared to be wearing with huge gaps around her nose. Petite skaters -- including child skaters -- should be wearing appropriately-sized masks. These tiny teenagers are wearing adult-sized masks when they actually require child-sized masks. They are children, after all! Otherwise wearing those N95s does nothing. So when the skaters are confused how they caught COVID with an N95, someone needs to explain to them that the masks need to be worn properly in order to work.
So you're pretty much blaming Alysa for catching COVID and not the adults planning the event.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It sure does. I imagine that China will not let her into the country so, there's no need for a committee bid in this case. I know that people can still get sick after being vaccinated, has she said whether or not, she has taken the Vaccine and the Booster? She was our best hope for a top 6 finish and I don't think the rest of the Ladies have the technical firepower to get into the final flight......:(
The Olympics aren't next week, so she'll have time to recover if she petitions and is granted a spot

GoneWithTheWind

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I know that people can still get sick after being vaccinated, has she said whether or not, she has taken the Vaccine and the Booster? She was our best hope for a top 6 finish and I don't think the rest of the Ladies have the technical firepower to get into the final flight......:(
Alysa said in their Instagram story that they were fully vaccinated.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
When are they leaving for Beijing? This is what I fear also, if she cleared to compete?

Also i´m afraid more of the skaters will get in after this event, and they are soon leaving for 4CC which should be a totally other Team so this is starting to get really interesting with Gold missing the minimum and Isabeau too young.
Is there any smaller competition before 4C where she can get a minimum tech score? (assuming Gracie doesn't totally bomb tonight)