Alysa Liu withdraws from Nationals, due to Covid | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu withdraws from Nationals, due to Covid

mrrice

Record Breaker
Knierem/Frazier, Calalang/Johnson, CG-LeDuc collectively have more potential to perform strongly internationally than do Mariah Bell, Karen Chen and Alysa Liu.

Everyone was shocked and amazed when Bell eked out a poor triple-triple last night as she has only managed to complete one other 3-3 all season. Alysa can't consistently land her 3A and doesn't have any technical advantage to make up for her unremarkable skating skills & artistry, and Karen Chen, although the best all-around women's skater, under-rotates many of her jumps. OTOH, C/J have some of the very best lifts in the world along with a top-tier triple twist, K/F are well-rounded without any technical weaknesses, and CG/L have a superb sophistication, great programs, and beautiful lines.
I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Karen's 4th place at Worlds last year was a higher finish than any pair we've had in more than a decade. The thing that saddens me the most is that Alysa has the ability to finish top 5 at the Olympics and at Worlds. This must be such a heartbreak for her.

miina

Spectator
Is her team assured she will be guaranteed a spot. Cause there is a chance she would not have gotten onto the podium here being 3rd with Lindsay within a point. And it looks like she just went through a massive growth spurt since the last time we saw her. I didnt realise it was her until I recognised the dress. It would probably have been a good idea to withdraw if she knew the fed was gonna sent her anyway and not risk being in a Pewter situation like Wagner. Also is she even going to be allowed into the olympics. PCR can come back positive within 3 months of having COVID and Beijing seem to be very strict about their COVID testing policy
iirc the protocols account for this and she at least has a chance, but the loss of ice time and potential loss of fitness are the issue (especially since she would need some kind of trial run for a bye without nationals)

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
lol, what? She can simply not do the 3A in the team event. I'm sure the USFS would rather rely on her than Karen or Mariah, neither of whom have a consistent 3-3.

Alysa doesn't have a consistent 3-3. She doesn't have a real 3-3 at all. She constantly got calls on the Grand Prix, and not just on the back half of the combo. Her Lutz is awful. She deserves a < on both jumps most of the time. The Satako Miyahara of it all. Never forget those double < calls on the combo in the 2018 team event.

And her overall quality, in all regards, is worse. Without the 3Axel there is no reason to pick her, barring Karen and Mariah both having a meltdown in the LP at Nationals.

bytheriver

On the Ice
A Yahoo sports article confirms the tight timeline to get a negative PCR test for an Olympic team member, based on Beijing’s requirement of 2 negative tests at least 8 working days prior to the scheduled flight. The flights in question are already organized charter flights because of the strict regulation on travel to China.

« Given the timeline, Liu would likely need to twice test negative less than 14 days after Friday's initial positive — unless a later flight can be arranged, or unless Olympic organizers amend their COVID-19 testing rules. »

Yet another reason that this event should have been cancelled. Who knows how much of the potential team will be barred from the Olympics because of this outbreak.

RatedPG

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think Alysa will be fine. She has done enough to justify a spot in the Olympic team unless Lindsay places in the top 2. She tested positive and I’m sure the selection committee will include her on the team anyways. She can now just rest and enjoy the competition. I’m sad because I wanted to see her try the triple axel one more time and was curious to see if she would have won this competition against Karen or Mariah or Isabeau.

skatingiscool

On the Ice
Alysa will be just fine. If she files petition, I'm sure she will get the Olympics spot. Lindsay is great but she is not ready for Olympics yet. Lindsay doesn't has the whole package. She has nice jumps and spins.....that's about it. Gracie doesn't has min tech. Isabeau is too young. Actually, it's better to get COVID now rather than later (just before Olympics trip). At the end, Alysa is the only US lady wins THREE gold medals this season. Even Alysa was off due to covid (or coach change) yesterday, she still delivered a strong skate minus the fall.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I bel

I believe it’s 10 days here in the states at the moment? I rounded up, apologies. Still just bad timing all round. Somebody give that girl a hot cup of cider and a weighted blanket, she deserves a break.
It’s been changed (recommended) to 5 days if no symptoms.

Imagine

Medalist
You can continue to test positive for quite some time. Even if she keeps testing positive, she should be able to be cleared by a doctor as having recovered from the disease if not symptomatic after a certain amount of time. However, I don’t know if the Olympics (or its hosts, rather) will allow that. They should seriously just cancel the games. There is no way this stupid “bubble” idea is going to work. In the best case scenario, a bunch of athletes are going to end up being detained. Sucks for Liu if they cancel, but she’s still pretty young, and doesn’t really have too much competition coming up behind her.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is just sad. I guess she hasn't been having symptoms if it took this long to discover she had Covid. When was she tested? She skated the SP didn't she? How did this come to light?
She was tested today. I don’t remember the circumstances there have been so many. I know Amber self reported symptoms and was tested on that basis.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At least USFSA has selection criteria and experience with using selection committees.

:ot: This type of scenario would have been a disaster in gymnastics becuase Tom Forrester is incapable of selecting a team.
That was a nightmare and so unfair to the athletes

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has the Committee made a decision on whether or not they'll give her a spot on the team? After seeing what happened in pairs, I doubt Alexa and Brandon will get a spot on the team since the pairs that competed did so well.
They are going to announce the team at the men’s comp. can’t remember if they said short or long

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You can continue to test positive for quite some time. Even if she keeps testing positive, she should be able to be cleared by a doctor as having recovered from the disease if not symptomatic after a certain amount of time. However, I don’t know if the Olympics (or its hosts, rather) will allow that. They should seriously just cancel the games. There is no way this stupid “bubble” idea is going to work. In the best case scenario, a bunch of athletes are going to end up being detained. Sucks for Liu if they cancel, but she’s still pretty young, and doesn’t really have too much competition coming up behind her.
The Olympic committee is not accepting doctors notes.

I agree on postponing the games but they won’t.

Goddess, how bad would it be if a person wax named to the team but couldn’t go?

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Knierem/Frazier, Calalang/Johnson, CG-LeDuc collectively have more potential to perform strongly internationally .... C/J have some of the very best lifts in the world along with a top-tier triple twist, K/F are well-rounded without any technical weaknesses, and CG/L have a superb sophistication, great programs, and beautiful lines.

I'm not going to say anything about the women, but I love how you've stated the beauties and abilities of those three US pairs! :hap10::rock::bsplit::hap10::dance3:

And oh yes, :ot::hijacked:

ice_tulip

On the Ice
I'm not sure where you're getting your information. Karen's 4th place at Worlds last year was a higher finish than any pair we've had in more than a decade. The thing that saddens me the most is that Alysa has the ability to finish top 5 at the Olympics and at Worlds. This must be such a heartbreak for her.

I said the top three pairs collectively have more potential than the top three ladies.
Yes, I am aware Karen Chen finished 4th at the last Worlds. She is by far the best of the ladies IMO in terms of potential IF she doesn't underrotate or the judges decide to ignore the under-rotations. But she's really at the mercy of the judges more than other skaters who don't have under-rotation problems or who are consistent judges favorites (i.e., Eteri students).