Alysa Liu withdraws from Nationals, due to Covid | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Alysa Liu withdraws from Nationals, due to Covid

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
They have, but it´s my understanding that they will have different teams for 4CC and Olympic. If Izzo is sub. for OG I guess she won´t go to 4CC.

Most likely Thorngren will be the first substitute for OG now. If so, she will not be sent to 4CC. So then there is Izzo, Starr and Glenn for 4CC?
All right :) Too much to asses for me. We'll just see what happens. I don't think USFS(or any fed) has a plan for everything that can happen. Let's hope for the best for all skaters!

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Brandon was symptomatic and he did not look well. Alysa might be asymptomatic and feeling. Also she might feel confident that she did enough during the season to get an Olympic bye. That would account for her cheerfulness. Plus is hard to gauge a person's feeling through an instagram message.

I agree, hard to gauge a person's feeling through insta. I just stated my impression. Didn't say anything was wrong with feeling cheerful. I'd rather she not be crushed like Brandon.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Alysa should still get the 3rd spot, but with that fall in the SP it's doubtful she will be selected for the Team event now. Her big draw was having an underrotated 3Axel that gets more points than a 2Axel. This is two competitions in a row she fell on it, which doesn't show the success rate needed to bet on her for the Team event.
I don't think it changes much, to be honest. If Alysa does the 2A, which I think the USFSA would ask her to do in the team event, her TES would still be higher than Mariah or Karen because Alysa does the combo in the bonus, does the flip instead of the loop, and prerotates jumps rather than under-rotating at the end which makes it much less likely she'd get < calls. While the two veterans would earn higher PCS, in the end any of the three would probably finish 3rd in the Team SP so it doesn't make sense to do a substitution there except to gift Mariah or Karen a medal.

Cdimop

Rinkside
That is really unfortunate for Alyssa, who secured the third Olympic spot for U.S. women. But it is interesting to see if Gold can make it to Beijing by beating Levito. Gold said making it back to the Olympics has been one of her goals.
I thought Karen Chen was credited with securing the third Olympic spot

Idiote

On the Ice
I thought Karen Chen was credited with securing the third Olympic spot
from my understanding, Karen opened up the possibility of a third spot with her 4th place at worlds, and Alysa secured it with her win at nebelhorn trophy.

I'm sad Alysa has to withdraw, I wish her a swift recovery!

Remilia

On the Ice
Alysa should still get the 3rd spot, but with that fall in the SP it's doubtful she will be selected for the Team event now. Her big draw was having an underrotated 3Axel that gets more points than a 2Axel. This is two competitions in a row she fell on it, which doesn't show the success rate needed to bet on her for the Team event.
lol, what? She can simply not do the 3A in the team event. I'm sure the USFS would rather rely on her than Karen or Mariah, neither of whom have a consistent 3-3.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Honestly the US doesn't need three spots for the ladies at the Olympics, but I think the third spot shouldn't be determined until after we see the free programs and see how things shake up. The ladies are by far the weakest of the four disciplines. It's a real shame one of those ladies' spots can't go to a third pairs team.
Pairs is the weakest US discipline. By far.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
For the umpteenth time, Gold CANNOT go to the Olympics. She does not have the technical minimums from international competition. Levito CANNOT go to the Olympics because she is too young. These are ISU requirements, not USFS. So regardless of where they place at Nationals, neither will be heading to Beijing.

For the umpteenth time Gracie can get the minimums at Bavarian Open.

bigsisjiejie

Record Breaker
USFS has stated they will be sending different teams to Olympics and 4CC, so take that as a given. Where this gets interesting is the Olympic alternate position, especially the first alternate. Normally, this person would go to 4CC while retaining their alternate position for the Games which of course takes place after 4CC but not long after. However, with COVID Omicron going around, a skater has an interesting choice to make: do they go to 4CC and risk picking up the crud and in that event, effectively forfeiting any chance to remain a viable Olympic alternate? Or do they decline 4CC, stay bubbled as much as possible, and gamble that they will be given the call?

This is not a theoretical exercise anymore, especially for the US Ladies and Pairs Alternates #1.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Honestly the US doesn't need three spots for the ladies at the Olympics, but I think the third spot shouldn't be determined until after we see the free programs and see how things shake up. The ladies are by far the weakest of the four disciplines. It's a real shame one of those ladies' spots can't go to a third pairs team.
I'm not sure why you feel this way. That third spot provided a chance for Liza Tuk to go to Worlds last year and as it turns out, that will likely be her final international event. I'll also add that a healthy Alysa and a healthy Bradie along with Lindsay could have kept three spots for the US. As for the ladies being "By Far The Weakest of the four disciplines" I believe it's pairs that only have 2 spots while all other disciplines have 3.

ice_tulip

On the Ice
Pairs is the weakest US discipline. By far.

Knierem/Frazier, Calalang/Johnson, CG-LeDuc collectively have more potential to perform strongly internationally than do Mariah Bell, Karen Chen and Alysa Liu.

Everyone was shocked and amazed when Bell eked out a poor triple-triple last night as she has only managed to complete one other 3-3 all season. Alysa can't consistently land her 3A and doesn't have any technical advantage to make up for her unremarkable skating skills & artistry, and Karen Chen, although the best all-around women's skater, under-rotates many of her jumps. OTOH, C/J have some of the very best lifts in the world along with a top-tier triple twist, K/F are well-rounded without any technical weaknesses, and CG/L have a superb sophistication, great programs, and beautiful lines.

ice_tulip

On the Ice
USFS has stated they will be sending different teams to Olympics and 4CC, so take that as a given. Where this gets interesting is the Olympic alternate position, especially the first alternate. Normally, this person would go to 4CC while retaining their alternate position for the Games which of course takes place after 4CC but not long after. However, with COVID Omicron going around, a skater has an interesting choice to make: do they go to 4CC and risk picking up the crud and in that event, effectively forfeiting any chance to remain a viable Olympic alternate? Or do they decline 4CC, stay bubbled as much as possible, and gamble that they will be given the call?

This is not a theoretical exercise anymore, especially for the US Ladies and Pairs Alternates #1.

Very good point! If I were the Olympic alternate, no way would I want to attend 4CC!! Too big of a risk!

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
No she can't, because she won't be there.

Yes she can if she is being considered for the Olympic Team and they choose to send her there. Bavarian Open has taken last minute entries for minimums before. Read earlier in this thread.

They’re supposed to make this decision tomorrow January 8 (pending things like minimums and petitions). The ladies short program at the Bavarian Open will be January 19 at the earliest. That is more than enough time for the organizers accommodate for an additional entry.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Knierem/Frazier, Calalang/Johnson, CG-LeDuc collectively have more potential to perform strongly internationally than do Mariah Bell, Karen Chen and Alysa Liu.

Everyone was shocked and amazed when Bell eked out a poor triple-triple last night as she has only managed to complete one other 3-3 all season. Alysa can't consistently land her 3A and doesn't have any technical advantage to make up for her unremarkable skating skills & artistry, and Karen Chen, although the best all-around women's skater, under-rotates many of her jumps. OTOH, C/J have some of the very best lifts in the world along with a top-tier triple twist, K/F are well-rounded without any technical weaknesses, and CG/L have a superb sophistication, great programs, and beautiful lines.
Alysa has a big technical advantage, with her second half combos. She has never scored below 200 and has the highest US ladies score this year. Funny how all year people have been remarking on her improved skating skills and one fall on a 3A, a jump she doesn’t even need at Nationals, brings out the naysayers.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes she can if she is being considered for the Olympic Team and they choose to send her there. Bavarian Open has taken last minute entries for minimums before. Read earlier in this thread.

They’re supposed to make this decision tomorrow January 8 (pending things like minimums and petitions). The ladies short program at the Bavarian Open will be January 19 at the earliest. That is more than enough time for the organizers accommodate for an additional entry.
She doesn’t have the body of work, so USFSA would have to change their criteria to send her.

icybear

Medalist
Is her team assured she will be guaranteed a spot. Cause there is a chance she would not have gotten onto the podium here being 3rd with Lindsay within a point. And it looks like she just went through a massive growth spurt since the last time we saw her. I didnt realise it was her until I recognised the dress. It would probably have been a good idea to withdraw if she knew the fed was gonna sent her anyway and not risk being in a Pewter situation like Wagner. Also is she even going to be allowed into the olympics. PCR can come back positive within 3 months of having COVID and Beijing seem to be very strict about their COVID testing policy