Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 41 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

mrrice

Record Breaker
Just because you miss something, doesn't mean you should return to doing it.

This is a great statement that I wish more people would listen to. I'm speaking for myself here. I danced professionally for a LONG time. However , there comes a time when wearing spandex, makeup, and sequins gets old ( And I'm a Guy ;)) Fortunately, I had a good agent and some friends who suggested I get into Choreography and Judging. At first I thought I'd never be able to handle doing the same thing all day long, every day. Thank goodness I was wrong or who knows where I'd be right now.

Maybe Carolina has enough money and just wants to do this for the love of skating. If that's all it is, I guess it's fine. I'd hate to think that some other skater may miss a spot on the World Team should she return. This is another reason I'd like to see the return of the Pro Am Competitions. Retired skaters can get out there and feel like they're back and it won't cost an up and coming skater a chance and making it to Worlds.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
mrrice - well said. I don't know Carolina obviously but I think sometimes a competitor lives their whole life for a sport and can't find something to replace it.

mrrice

Record Breaker
mrrice - well said. I don't know Carolina obviously but I think sometimes a competitor lives their whole life for a sport and can't find something to replace it.

Carolina was such a fast skater and she had some great jumps especially during her last season. Coaching isn't for everyone but I think Carolina might be a great Tech Caller. I believe that's what Vanessa Gusmeroli did after she retired. In fact, she may still be doing it. Anyway, I wish her the best as she's certainly been through enough with the doping drama.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
ermmm he landed his 3A in Quebec and had a step out on it in JO... so he has a triple axel... and tbh, his "dance coach" is the woman who helped him learn his quad and it is under her that he beat the world record.. so I am not worried.

The quad was taught and developed with his former coach, a real skating coach. I really have no idea what Chan is doing- does he need to fall down to 10th or worse in the worlds before he learns. IN some sports to be a coach you have to pass certain qualifications and I doubt this dance coach of Mr. chan's can identify an edge versus a toe jump - okay I exaggerate because one would hope she could do that by now. Besides what if he breaks up with his coach's daughter - can you imagine how awkward that would be??? This is crazy if you want to learn how to fix or do jumps you get a skate coach not a dance coach. If you want a good steak you go to a steakhouse not a falafel place.

Meoima

Match Penalty
The quad was taught and developed with his former coach, a real skating coach. I really have no idea what Chan is doing- does he need to fall down to 10th or worse in the worlds before he learns. IN some sports to be a coach you have to pass certain qualifications and I doubt this dance coach of Mr. chan's can identify an edge versus a toe jump - okay I exaggerate because one would hope she could do that by now. Besides what if he breaks up with his coach's daughter - can you imagine how awkward that would be??? This is crazy if you want to learn how to fix or do jumps you get a skate coach not a dance coach. If you want a good steak you go to a steakhouse not a falafel place.
:hijacked: Can we come back to Carolina? Do you think she can regain her jumps if she comes back? Mao seems to keeps her jumps and make them look better. Can Carolina do the same?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´ll be very happy to watch Kostner competing again!!! If she enjoys competing, she should do that. Besides, I doubt that in Italy there is a lady skater better than she?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I´ll be very happy to watch Kostner competing again!!! If she enjoys competing, she should do that. Besides, I doubt that in Italy there is a lady skater better than she?

Firstly, I would be delighted to see Carolina competing again. Frankly, she is the reason that I became a fan of this sport!

As for the other Ladies in Italy, a couple of pages ago I wrote a summary of the state of Italian Ladies skating since Caro took her sabbatical.

But, to cut straight to the point, although I had written her off completely in the not-too-distant past, based on how she has been doing recently, I would not count out Roberta Rodegheiro!

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I have a question. Should Carolina return, would she still be considered the top Italian Lady? If so, I think it would be better for Italy if she did return as there's a chance she may be able to gain a spot for their team. With Russia, Japan, US, and Canada all fielding strong teams Carolina may be Italy's only hope for gaining an additional spot for Italy. When I saw Sylvia Fontana perform in Canada, I could swear she was the only Italian skater in that event.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Rodeghiero and Russo finished 20th and 24th, respectively, at 2015 Worlds, so Italy has one entry for 2016. This isn't a perfect comparison, but Carolina scored higher in her (very flawed) long program in 2014 than Russo did across both phases of competition in 2015. She would definitely remain Italy's #1.

It's unlikely Carolina could earn 3 spots for Italy alone, but earning 2 is doable. She would really be earning her own way to Worlds and Olympics, and taking along another skater.

I guess the most important question might be. How do the Italian's feel about Carolina's return? Are they excited and wishing her well or do they think her best times are behind her. I would imagine she's hoping to erase the scandal from her tarnished image. Will that happen if she returns even if she doesn't skate well. Something in me says no. I hope I'm wrong.

Eloise

Rinkside
Warning! :hijacked:

I have just seen Carolina at Opera on Ice in Verona and she looked amazing, her skating was incredible and, if anything, even more polished than it used to be. I had seen her previously at Galas and competitions, but this time she really struck me with the glow and the serenity she displayed on the ice. This year, while unable to properly train due to the ban, she focussed on dance and ballet lessons that helped her to develop her artistry even further. I have been a long standing Carolina fan, but I must say I have never seen her skating with so much confidence. She literally radiated beauty on ice. While, her improved artistry may not automatically translate into the ability to perform successfully in competition, it was a real pleasure to see her skating and expressing herself with such freedom and maturity.

Also, Anna and Luca were also performing and they were absolutely amazing, one of their two exhibitions was the highlight of the night! Their skating was fast and passionate and the footwork intricate, yet light. Again, not sure whether their marvellous performance signifies that they are ready to compete at the top and conquer the podium, but I think we can expect a better season from them this year!

jiggs

On the Ice

I have just seen Carolina at Opera on Ice in Verona and she looked amazing, her skating was incredible and, if anything, even more polished than it used to be. I had seen her previously at Galas and competitions, but this time she really struck me with the glow and the serenity she displayed on the ice. This year, while unable to properly train due to the ban, she focussed on dance and ballet lessons that helped her to develop her artistry even further. I have been a long standing Carolina fan, but I must say I have never seen her skating with so much confidence. She literally radiated beauty on ice. While, her improved artistry may not automatically translate into the ability to perform successfully in competition, it was a real pleasure to see her skating and expressing herself with such freedom and maturity.

Here are videos of her two performances:
Una Furtiva Lagrima: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhW16KQyCSQ
Summertime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0v0TK9nFc4

She looks magnificent!

penguin

On the Ice
If Carolina comes back strong (and she looks strong) I really hope it encourages skaters to retire later and have longer careers. I know that's obviously dependent on the skater's personal circumstances but seeing her example could/should be really inspiring!

hurrah

Medalist
If Carolina comes back strong (and she looks strong) I really hope it encourages skaters to retire later and have longer careers. I know that's obviously dependent on the skater's personal circumstances but seeing her example could/should be really inspiring!

Not to mention that having a long career and a long post-retirement show career is a great way to prove that the skater never doped.

daphna

On the Ice
Carolina Kostner?

Does anyone know what her status is? IIRC, the ban ends on January1st, 2016. Has she ever announced a retirement? Is she planning to compete again?

RABID

Final Flight
Please, no.

Don't worry. Ain't going to happen. Some people know when to "hang them up". The next time Yuna is on the ice will be during the Olympic award ceremony in 2018 when she hands out the medals. (I hope, I hope, I hope) :love:

mustafakent

On the Ice

Also, Anna and Luca were also performing and they were absolutely amazing, one of their two exhibitions was the highlight of the night! Their skating was fast and passionate and the footwork intricate, yet light. Again, not sure whether their marvellous performance signifies that they are ready to compete at the top and conquer the podium, but I think we can expect a better season from them this year!

Such a shame that if she comes back, she is gonna get same presentation scores with Evgenia, Satoko etc.
Satoko and Carolina will get the same base value for their triple jumps.:drama:
There will be lots of laughter for me when I see some ladies outscore Kostner on skating skills.:laugh: