Ban on Carolina Kostner Over | Page 42 | Golden Skate

Ban on Carolina Kostner Over

bara1968

On the Ice
Such a shame that if she comes back, she is gonna get same presentation scores with Evgenia, Satoko etc.
Satoko and Carolina will get the same base value for their triple jumps.:drama:
There will be lots of laughter for me when I see some ladies outscore Kostner on skating skills.:laugh:

I do hope that this will not be the case, but I am not optimistic.... For men's competition, judges do reward more refined, mature skaters (aka senior top skaters vs Boyang Jin for instance) but for ladies', judges stopped doing so from the last Olympics... They sometimes differentiate scores littlebit, but it is negligible. Why double standards?

anyanka

Record Breaker
Please, no.

Yuna called, she said she's not interested. She's busy being philanthropic, inspiring one-of-a-kind designer handbags for Fendi, and awaiting the giant throne they're going to build for her in Pyeongchang. :p

anyanka

Record Breaker
Don't worry. Ain't going to happen. Some people know when to "hang them up". The next time Yuna is on the ice will be during the Olympic award ceremony in 2018 when she hands out the medals. (I hope, I hope, I hope) :love:

I would love to see her present the medals at every single figure skating event, and especially in ladies, where she shall anoint Our New Queen of Figure Skating. (It's early days but my money is on Evgenia, although I'd love it to be Mao to see the old rivals hug it out.)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Warning! :hijacked:

I have just seen Carolina at Opera on Ice in Verona and she looked amazing, her skating was incredible and, if anything, even more polished than it used to be. I had seen her previously at Galas and competitions, but this time she really struck me with the glow and the serenity she displayed on the ice. This year, while unable to properly train due to the ban, she focussed on dance and ballet lessons that helped her to develop her artistry even further. I have been a long standing Carolina fan, but I must say I have never seen her skating with so much confidence. She literally radiated beauty on ice. While, her improved artistry may not automatically translate into the ability to perform successfully in competition, it was a real pleasure to see her skating and expressing herself with such freedom and maturity.

Also, Anna and Luca were also performing and they were absolutely amazing, one of their two exhibitions was the highlight of the night! Their skating was fast and passionate and the footwork intricate, yet light. Again, not sure whether their marvellous performance signifies that they are ready to compete at the top and conquer the podium, but I think we can expect a better season from them this year!

Thank you for sharing!! :clap:

Now, the questions ...

1. Can she compete in Italian nationals this week?
2. Would she need to compete in B level events to gain enough points to qualify?
3. Can she make it to Europeans?
4. If she's in competitive shape, will the Italians give her a space for the world team?

RABID

Final Flight
I would love to see her present the medals at every single figure skating event, and especially in ladies, where she shall anoint Our New Queen of Figure Skating. (It's early days but my money is on Evgenia, although I'd love it to be Mao to see the old rivals hug it out.)

Bringing it full circle with Mao (especially if she won gold) would have everyone holding their breath. :luv17: However if Evgenia could win gold it truly would be a passing of the crown and that too would make the Moscow headlines. Hope, hope, hope. :)

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker

Now, the questions ...

2. Would she need to compete in B level events to gain enough points to qualify?
4. If she's in competitive shape, will the Italians give her a space for the world team?

She'd need to compete somewhere to get the minimum TES for Euros/Worlds, I think?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Now, the questions ...

1. No (ban ends on 1st Jan)
2. Yes
3. Only if she gets the TES minimum and the Italians have a spot on their Euro team for her
4. They shouldn't unless they are desperate, because what an insult to every other Italian lady who has surely been working hard all season towards that goal and was also FOLLOWING THE RULES.

pororocheburashka

On the Ice
I think she can not make it to the Europeans, unless they arrange a a special international competition for her

because the Minimum Technical Score for Europeans must be reached twenty-one (21) days before
the first day (first official practice day) of the Championship: so next year till January 4th, 2016.

Last edited:

russell30

Final Flight
I think she can not make it to the Europeans, unless they arrange a a special international competition for her

because the Minimum Technical Score for Europeans must be reached twenty-one (21) days before
the first day (first official practice day) of the Championship: so next year till January 4th, 2016.

Carolina will hopefully be back for the 2016-2017 season, not sure if she will do GP, aim to do euros and worlds in 2017

winky97

Medalist
She is scheduled to compete at an event in Japan in Jan. Supposedly she is trying to work for a spot at 2016 Worlds in Boston.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
She is scheduled to compete at an event in Japan in Jan. Supposedly she is trying to work for a spot at 2016 Worlds in Boston.

Apparently Carolina spoke about making a decision in the next few weeks in a recent video interview, and she has also returned to Oberstdorf to train according to that video (I won't provide a link now - it was posted on her fan thread, but I have not watched it myself). But Medal Winners Open (the event in Japan) is not an event where skaters can get technical minimums for Worlds. It's a professional competition, and Carolina is going to compete with Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette there.

winky97

Medalist
Apparently Carolina spoke about making a decision in the next few weeks in a recent video interview, and she has also returned to Oberstdorf to train according to that video (I won't provide a link now - it was posted on her fan thread, but I have not watched it myself). But Medal Winners Open (the event in Japan) is not an event where skaters can get technical minimums for Worlds. It's a professional competition, and Carolina is going to compete with Miki Ando and Joannie Rochette there.

Worlds 2016 sent a tweet with a article that said she is trying for Boston. You can find it in their tweeter feed. Not really good at linking. Sorry, but u can easily find it in their feed. The article said the event is sanctioned by ISU and would allow her to get points towards qualifying for Worlds.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hohoho merrry xmas.. late late gift. Carolina's possible comeback, PCS just got more interesting....

seabm7

Final Flight

Worlds 2016 sent a tweet with a article that said she is trying for Boston. You can find it in their tweeter feed. Not really good at linking. Sorry, but u can easily find it in their feed. The article said the event is sanctioned by ISU and would allow her to get points towards qualifying for Worlds.

I found the tweet and the article:

https://twitter.com/Worlds2016/status/681550427213664256

http://www.centredaily.com/sports/article51861880.html

I think the article is mistaken on the minimum points required for the Worlds. MWO uses a different format, a modified free skating with only three jumping passes, so it cannot be used for the minimum TES required for the Worlds. Here is the announcement from the ISU on MWO:

http://static.isu.org/media/268539/medal-winners-2016-announcement.pdf

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think the prize money isn't bad at MWO and it's invitational. I read an article in a south tyrolean newspaper yesterday that her goal is worlds. She can achieve the world's minimum easily until then and I think there's no doubt that the italian fed will send her to worlds if she's in form (Is it fair? I don't know. Can Carolina secure more spots for next season than any other italian skater? Probably yes.).
I look forward to seeing her in competiton! :hap10:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not sure this is a Christmas gift (late) or otherwise having Carolina return. I kind of think that song applies here - LET IT GO! Carolina has had a great career. She has been very inconsistent even worse than, far worse, Mao Asada. She won a world title, EC, world medals and an Oly bronze. She has become a darling in Europe, Italy and on this website. She has had many opportunities and even got a bit of a break over Valentina to compete. She has a wonderful quality about her skating that has been generously rewarded - I think a little too generously compared to say Lambiel, Buttle, Chan or Kim in the past. I do agree about at the very least letting the other Italian ladies go this year to world's. Kostner is late to the game this year though I guess if we take that same position to say the Germans pairs I really feel sorry for I think they are t Vaartman's who are dumped - pulverized, pushed aside, stomped on and forgotten with the chosen ones inclusion to the world scene now. But it is a free world and everyone is out for themselves so Ms. Kostner is free to do what she wants and will do what she wants. I kind of like remembering her as the graceful champ she is and yes, she could do it again or she could crash and burn. I just don't know even we can expect consistency from her when she never really had it before.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I don't see any harm if she wants to compete. It isn't like she was getting worse in recent years; she was close to her best form when she left.

petitebrie

On the Ice
As for inconsistence, she hasn't placed off the podium since 2010 Worlds. She hasn't always delivered clean performances, but she's had sufficient goods to place in the top three at all major international competitions since then. I'm more concerned about how she'll measure up to the new crop of young skaters and the changed standards of scoring that have followed.