Championnats québécois d'été 2017 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Championnats québécois d'été 2017

TGee

Record Breaker
oh thank you !!! that's vital to know... because 4 hours of transit at 35 degrees in jeans... may be worse than 6-7 hours of wearing a bit less at the rink...

hey! if Nam, Roman and others can skate wearing shorts LOL.... I will see what i can do... to be comfortable both on the way there and in there. Thanks.

My best suggestion is to stuff a thin fleece blanket in your bag when you go. The temperature in rinks can be really unpredictable in summer...depends how well the humidity is managed, how high up you are, how many other spectators are there, and whether the temperature dropped or not the night before.

I've got through watching many a summer morning ice session wrapping the blanket around my legs when I'm just in a skirt or shorts. ;)

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Rink 1: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5w8pg4

Rink 3: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5w8on9

Rink 4: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5vrm93

I know that Patinage Québec usually archives its livestreams, but I noticed on the bottom of the official web page that there is a company that will sell videos of the competition at the arena, so will this be similar to the Minto Summer Skate (i.e. a copy of the livestream won't be uploaded later)?

:( sounds like it... and now that i am 90% sure I am not going.. ugh....

Sackie

Medalist
I agree it is nice that she is back skating. Hope she comes on strong here. And would say she pretty well has to if she wants a shot at the Skate Canada TBD spot!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
:( sounds like it...

Darn. :disapp: I'm planning to attend at least the Senior Men event (and if I can bring myself to wake up super-early, Senior Pairs as well), so I won't be able to make any screen recordings while I'm not at home. I'm guessing I won't be permitted to film any of the performances with my camera, so hopefully Prismatic Gem or some other dedicated fan will provide recordings of the livestream.

I'm not very good when it comes to the technical side of the sport, so I won't be able to give detailed reports, in case anyone was wondering. Not to mention that I don't own a smartphone, tablet, laptop, etc. (Yes, I know, I'm a technologically backwards dinosaur. :drama: )

nadster

Final Flight
Nice to see Joseph Phan skate clean in the junior men SP with a beautiful 3A. Hopefully he'll take that performance to the JGP.

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Joseph Phan was amazing! :luv17: :cheer2:

The image (but not the audio) of the livestream was completely frozen during Thomas Pelletier's performance. :rolleye: I hope this glitch isn't common.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Nice to see Joseph Phan skate clean in the junior men SP with a beautiful 3A. Hopefully he'll take that performance to the JGP.

i am so happy to hear this!!! Gosh... now that I can no longer attend the events, (other plans came up) i totally forgot to stream things....

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
wow Jo had a great program... great jumps, great presentation.... great score 76 and dust... well done!

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
what would we do without you <3

It may be my only screen recording for this event, but at least I served one useful purpose on this thread. :biggrin:

wow Jo had a great program... great jumps, great presentation.... great score 76 and dust... well done!

Joseph was in a league of his own; he beat the second-place finisher by over 23 points!

Looking at the schedule for tomorrow, I see that the Junior Men LP will take place just before the Senior Men SP, so I'll definitely add it to my itinerary. :) This will be the first fs competition that I've attended since the 2011 GPF, so it's loooooong overdue.

Top 5 after the SP:
1. Joseph Phan 76.29
2. James Henri-Singh 53.18
3. Gabriel St-Jean 51.63
4. Matthew Markell 50.62
5. Samuel Turcotte 49.17

siberia82

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Wow, it was already removed.

Argh, that's the 3rd vid I've lost since Minto because of the music. :mad: I should take a break from DM because my account might be shut down if this happens too often. I've updated post #53 with a Vimeo link, so hopefully that one won't disappear.

TGee

Record Breaker
Argh, that's the 3rd vid I've lost since Minto because of the music. :mad: I should take a break from DM because my account might be shut down if this happens too often. I've updated post #53 with a Vimeo link, so hopefully that one won't disappear.

Thanks so much for trying nonetheless....

I am wondering though why the feed is set up such that the banner on the bottom is running on top of the skaters' feet.....:palmf:

Between this and the lack of archiving, it sounds as though Skate Canada has a ways to go to make sure that those sections that have lagged in offering livestream [hello Ontario and Quebec Sections] actually have contractual relationships with their video service providers that meet the tests of transparency and accessibility to viewers outside the region.

After all the whole objective is for skaters and coaches across Canada to be able to truly see what the competition is doing how they are getting scored....At a minimum, this means not only livestream, but
archiving so that skaters can
- go back and look at the top competitors in each flight
- not miss skates due to events being held simultaneously [e.g. novice women's flights being held simultaneously on two rinks]
- not be obliged to watch in the middle of the night in BC [e.g. for early morning flights in eastern time]
- actually show the skaters feet so that landing, edges, and skating skills can be assessed
- not have to purchase video to see how their competition is doing

TGee's bottom line: kudos to Skate Canada for requiring livestream for NSS events:thank:; darts to Skate Ontario and Patinage Québec just doing the minimum and not buying into the principles underlying the requirement :dev2:

Kypma

Final Flight
Between this and the lack of archiving, it sounds as though Skate Canada has a ways to go to make sure that those sections that have lagged in offering livestream [hello Ontario and Quebec Sections] actually have contractual relationships with their video service providers that meet the tests of transparency and accessibility to viewers outside the region.

TGee's bottom line: kudos to Skate Canada for requiring livestream for NSS events:thank:; darts to Skate Ontario and Patinage Québec just doing the minimum and not buying into the principles underlying the requirement :dev2:

While I agree that the Ontario sections haven't always offered live streams, Quebec has live-streamed and archived their Summer Provincials for quite a few years. This is the fist year where the video isn't archived, but as someone else noted upthread, it is also the first year that videos are offered for sale.