Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Polina picks something fun like her Cha Cha ha program from 2013. She had fun with that program and really worked it. I've found her more classical music programs to be a bit of a snooze and don't let her show more of her personality.

karlowens2

On the Ice
Good Guess!!!:clap: My other guess is going to sound strange to some people but, I'm going to go with something from "Oklahoma!!" There's a ton of good choices from that score including the dream sequence. It has great changes in tempo and mood and if spliced together well, it would definitely make a great choice for an LP.

Yeah, I could see that. Agnes De Mille choro. Reminds audience of the positive side of Ameica - the openess, innovation, hopefulnes. A program I really liked was Meryl/Charlie I Could Have Danced All Night. Had that positive qualitiy. It's a quality an American could bring that would be had for a Rusian to immitate. Would help Polina stand out.

andromache

Record Breaker
How are poodle skirts immature? What makes a skirt with a silhouette of a poodle on a leash immature?

Personally, I associate poodle skirts with Halloween costumes for young girls, which makes it immature-looking from my perspective. Not sure about the original poster's intention with that comment, but I can definitely see how many would view a poodle skirt as looking immature.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Personally, I associate poodle skirts with Halloween costumes for young girls, which makes it immature-looking from my perspective. Not sure about the original poster's intention with that comment, but I can definitely see how many would view a poodle skirt as looking immature.

I certainly don't. But then again, I'm more of a person who wants to wear more of 50's and 60's style clothes for more formal events. And I love the style of clothing from those decades.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Yeah, I could see that. Agnes De Mille choro. Reminds audience of the positive side of Ameica - the openess, innovation, hopefulnes. A program I really liked was Meryl/Charlie I Could Have Danced All Night. Had that positive qualitiy. It's a quality an American could bring that would be had for a Rusian to immitate. Would help Polina stand out.

My Fair Lady...........Just being introduced would be great. Ladies and Gentleman, skating to My Fair Lady......You could put any skaters name after that intro and you're off to a great start. Of course, after that kind of an intro, you better not suck.;)

NaVi

Medalist
Any guesses as to what Oscar-winning movie her LP music is from? It has to do with the main character growing throughout the film, so I'm (perhaps inaccurately) assuming a film with a female lead who develops throughout the film. Most Oscar winners tend to be male-centric, so maybe that narrows it down. I'm also hoping it's a somewhat recent film rather than something older (a la Gone with the Wind or My Fair Lady) which could come off as cheesy.

I'm 99% sure it's Gone with the Wind... and I have a good hunch that she isn't the only one to pick that... in fact, I think the Cup of Russia may be an awkward event with potentially back to back Gone with the Winds...

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I'm 99% sure it's Gone with the Wind... and I have a good hunch that she isn't the only one to pick that... in fact, I think the Cup of Russia may be an awkward event with potentially back to back Gone with the Winds...

I... could easily see this.

humbaba

Final Flight
My guess for Polina's music is the score from Dr. Zhivago. The film won five Oscars, including best original score.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Interesting speculation on the music. I'm inclined to think it's My Fair Lady and I'm disappointed if I'm right. I LOVE Davis and White and although their skating was sensational it was not my favorite overall performance because of the music. I agree with those who see Polina in more of a balletic form. I can see her as a blonde Leslie Caron in an American in Paris or Gigi mode. Dr. Zhivago would be another disaster imo. Too schmaltzy, predictable, giving images of Vivian Leigh and Clark Gable...frankly Polina I don't give a d***n... actually I do...good luck Polina!

Icey

Record Breaker
West Side Story or Chicago. Only ten movie musicals have received the Best Picture Oscar.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I LOVE "Someday" from West Side Story! But it's the length of a SP not a FP. LOL.

But going by Polina's words ....

“My long program is to music from a wonderful Oscar Award winning movie where I am expressing the main character of the story. It’s a difficult piece because we have combined four different tempos of music, with emotions and different times of life as the main character grows.”
. ..... one might conclude that she is going to use sections from multiple songs. I've no idea myself but I'm enjoying the guessing game quite a bit. :popcorn:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
“Gone With the Wind”?

That would be a really audacious choice for Polina, assuming that Scarlett O’Hara isn’t becoming the new Carmen. Max Steiner’s great score is lushly romantic and offers numerous possibilities that could easily satisfy the “four tempos” criteria. And it would dispel forever those comments about the immaturity of her “Tinkerbell” program from the last season, if she can bring it off.

But can she? Of course, she wouldn’t actually be playing the character, only creating an impression of her, but still, she is very young.

Vivian Leigh was 28 years old when she played Scarlett O’Hara, and almost all of the better known actresses considered for the part—such as Paulette Goddard, Constance Bennett, Katherine Hepburn, Myna Loy, Norma Shearer, Merle Oberon, Jean Harlow, Loretta Young, Maureen O’Sullivan, and on and on—were her age or older. Or in the case of Gloria Swanson, a good deal older.

Susan Hayward was 22 when she tested for it, but the director, George Cukor, rejected her as being too young to suggest the emotional depth of the character. Joan Fontaine was even younger at 21, but the producer of “Gone With the Wind,” David O. Selznick, already had his eye on her for the nameless “second Mrs. de Winter” in “Rebecca.”

There’s an interesting possibility, however. “Rebecca” was Alfred Hitchcock’s first American film and a masterpiece, with a superb performance by Fontaine and a marvelous score by Franz Waxman. And it won the Academy Award for the Best Picture of 1940.

Could Polina play a demure young woman coming into her own? I’d say she could. In fact, it would almost be true to life.

Last edited:

TheGrandSophy

Record Breaker
One more reason that I am guessing Gigi is that it is currently on Broadway with Vanessa Hudgens as Gigi. There was a performance at the recent Tonys too.