Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Evgenia Medvedeva's Sailor Moon Exhibition

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Sailor Moon fits Zhenya. She's cute, charming, and 100% Otaku. I just wish the program would've had more choreography in it other than gliding and jumps. I feel it's empty choreography-wise.

Not the first time I've seen this sort of comment and this ex of Evgenia's is not the first program nor the first skater I've seen it said about. I find this sort of statement really perplexing. Like, are we awarding points for galas now? Transitions must be marked?

The whole idea of the exhibition/gala programs are to let the skater just skate however they want. If gliding and jumps work for the gala program, gliding and jumps work for the gala program. It doesn't have to be stuffed full of meaningless transitions and choreography.

Anyone with knowledge about Otaku culture in Japan will understand that sailor costume doesn't come across among many male generations as normal. There is some fetish trend going on with that costume. Some men call that thing hot. It kind of disgusts me.
Yes Sailor Moon is famous across many ages, but that costume is thought of not in a good way by men here.

So what was she supposed to wear, when skating to Sailor Moon?

Perfume

Match Penalty
So what was she supposed to wear, when skating to Sailor Moon?
I am just saying, sometimes the popularity and admiration she gets from Sailor Moon costume might be from some men with fetishes. Not that it will change.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think that the sailor moon costume is not very different to the skating costumes, you see exactly the same as in a normal competition? Sure it's modelled after the school uniform, the sailor fuku, but I don't see any difference to a short skirt, it's something girls wear. And Sailor Moon is a Shoujo Manga, aimed at girls.That's why she chose it, because she's a fan. Honestly if you want to get off, there are many other ways than watching a Figure Skating exhibition....:(

Personally, I think while Moonlight Densetsu is the Opening theme, there are many pieces of the Sailor Moon soundtrack that fit so much better and probably would make a better program. Even a simpler Music Box Version of Moonlight Densetsu would work better with Evgenia's style.

Perfume

Match Penalty
^not really, it's true that there is a fetish trend for young girls in sailor costume. This has been integrated in the otaku culture. Med did nothing wrong sort of. Just the truth is some men have that kind of tendency.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Why are you so against Evgenia? Her W.E. long program is more artistic than any long programs that Yuna Kim has done. Its theme is quite serious, so yes she can do a fun EX, and it shows she can be both seriously artistic and fun. Btw Yuna Kim's Just A Girl program is neither popular nor artistic.

That was my point in posting it, that Yuna at around the same age as Medvedeva did something very girly and fun instead of something serious, artistic, or even popular for her ex. I think these skaters should be able to use their ex to explore different sides of them. Heck even Javier Fernandez, two-time World Champion, is still performing that cheesy exercise routine and he is in his mid twenties.

moriel

Record Breaker
And honestly, please drop all the age stuff.
Skaters are totally alowed to do fun and cheesy and silly stuff at any age. If they wanna do a cartoon themed exibition, they totally can. At any age. I'm sure we all would love if Hanyu pulled out a pooh themed exibition, for example.

Please, I want more 'Sell out' skaters, instead of everybody doing that boring all classical stuff. I like classical music, but separate from figure skating. Hope more and more skaters start putting aside those boring excessively serious things, and go for music and themes that are actually entretaining.
Figure skating should stop pretending its "art" and become entretainment. Because well, it works - see the difference between cult movies and box office movies ;)
And you all weird people, art is not supposed to be something excessively cultsy and so on. There is nothing wrong in making "pop" art that appeals to masses instead of 2-3 people.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Skaters are totally alowed to do fun and cheesy and silly stuff at any age. If they wanna do a cartoon themed exibition, they totally can. At any age. I'm sure we all would love if Hanyu pulled out a pooh themed exibition, for example.

Please, I want more 'Sell out' skaters, instead of everybody doing that boring all classical stuff. I like classical music, but separate from figure skating. Hope more and more skaters start putting aside those boring excessively serious things, and go for music and themes that are actually entretaining.
Figure skating should stop pretending its "art" and become entretainment. Because well, it works - see the difference between cult movies and box office movies ;)
And you all weird people, art is not supposed to be something excessively cultsy and so on. There is nothing wrong in making "pop" art that appeals to masses instead of 2-3 people.

I'm not a big Gala Fan, because Exhibitions are usually a big old snoozefest. (Imho, don't hit me) One ballad after another, cheesy love songs or simple piano pieces. Ice Dance couples like Cappellini/Lanotte usually shake things up a bit, but for most single skaters it's a bore. I welcome every costume change or fast song. Like Tatsuki Machida's "Don't stop me now". That was fun. It doesn't have to be all cheesy and overdone to be fun, I think.

moriel

Record Breaker
I'm not a big Gala Fan, because Exhibitions are usually a big old snoozefest. (Imho, don't hit me) One ballad after another, cheesy love songs or simple piano pieces. Ice Dance couples like Cappellini/Lanotte usually shake things up a bit, but for most single skaters it's a bore. I welcome every costume change or fast song. Like Tatsuki Machida's "Don't stop me now". That was fun. It doesn't have to be all cheesy and overdone to be fun, I think.

Agree, but it has to be entretaining imho.
And not only galas, really. I think competitive programs should take a more popular road. Doesnt mean has to be a cheesefest and overdone, but should... appeal more to average people`s tastes.

Lets just take this worlds ladies top 5. Is there any single program that would appeal to wider audiences?
Why everybody skates to opera dressed up as the character, but skating to a movie / cartoon / anime is mostly not ok, not classy, not tasteful? Why do all programs have to be stuff that was made 50+ years ago...

For instance, i bet a well done deadpool program would be a huge success ^^ Will we see any men doing one as a competitive program?

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

Kolyada is using actual cartoon music as his SP for the past 2 seasons (and Nightmare Before Christmas is basically a cartoon as well), and Javier used the same cartoon for his SP a few years back. I can't believe how petty and pretentious certain posters can be when it comes to gala programs, of all things. Skaters have been doing goofy ex programs for decades but apparently it's only a problem when Evgenia does it.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Not the first time I've seen this sort of comment and this ex of Evgenia's is not the first program nor the first skater I've seen it said about. I find this sort of statement really perplexing. Like, are we awarding points for galas now? Transitions must be marked?

The whole idea of the exhibition/gala programs are to let the skater just skate however they want. If gliding and jumps work for the gala program, gliding and jumps work for the gala program. It doesn't have to be stuffed full of meaningless transitions and choreography.

So out of all the good things I've said, you take one negative comment. It's okay but maybe don't try to blow it out of proportions? It's a personal opinion about the program and will not change however it's being performed. I just feel it's empty choreography wise. That's it. It doesn't have to be full of meaningless choreography but it can have some meaningful choreography. It's a constructive criticism. LOL

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Agree, but it has to be entretaining imho.
And not only galas, really. I think competitive programs should take a more popular road. Doesnt mean has to be a cheesefest and overdone, but should... appeal more to average people`s tastes.

Lets just take this worlds ladies top 5. Is there any single program that would appeal to wider audiences?
Why everybody skates to opera dressed up as the character, but skating to a movie / cartoon / anime is mostly not ok, not classy, not tasteful? Why do all programs have to be stuff that was made 50+ years ago...

For instance, i bet a well done deadpool program would be a huge success ^^ Will we see any men doing one as a competitive program?

True. Even though vocals are allowed now, skaters use the same old/same old stuff still. People can hate Elena Radionova skating to JLo all they want, but at least she's tried new things, was eager to experiment. (Which will be over with the new coach, imho) What also worked really well was 2012/13 season's programs of Akiko Suzuki. SP was Kill Bill OST. LP was to O from Cirque du Soleil. This is more modern music and really appealing to watch. Boyang Jin's Spiderman is another example. It's a crowd pleaser. I think Figure Skating Judges are still big on Classical Music and Warhorses. It always works. The older you get, the more you forget how it was to be young and what it was to like the more entertaining stuff. I watched/read Sailor Moon before Evgenia Medvedeva was even born. I was in the demographic back then, but I don't see myself going back to it, I could barely watch the remake. Same with Elena's Titanic program. It's something young girls enjoy, and I have no problems if they skate to something like that. Usually, older coaches from the old school decide the music and the judges aren't teens themselves so I guess it's important to appeal to them and they do not aim for the general audience to get into figure skating.

Ballade88

On the Ice
This gala program was far more enjoyable than any of her competitive programs. She shows so much of her own personality and looks like she is having fun out there. I'm okay with gala programs being silly. They are meant to appeal to the audience and skaters' fan base. Mao did Mary Poppins. I remember Plushenko had quite a few strange/silly galas lol. Nicole Bobek did the Lion King once.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

icybear

Medalist
Skaters want to win so they are more likely to choose classical stuff as the judges are most likely 50+yrs old so you wouldn't want to gamble with their taste buds :biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
Btw, dont blame on judges age, they probably get more bored than us with all the warhorses (because we can mute or take a toilet break). I'm pretty sure that, specially in singles, judges would be totally fine with an anime or movie based program. And for example, many of them could surely appreciate, for example, Star Wars inspired stuff, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones and so on - those things have quite a bunch of fans in all age ranges. Also, I'm sure that most judges are mature adults and see that, while the program theme / music / costume do not appeal to them personally, it is very interesting for a pretty wide audience and also different and original and a great program.

For example, Elena's JLo program was pretty well received. Satoko's FS this year too.