Random thoughts about music choices | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Random thoughts about music choices

labgoat

Now updating the 6.0 rewatches with new videos
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Please someone skate to anything from Arcade Fire's Funeral!

I would love to see more coaches and choreographers use more contemporary Classical music (such as Philip Glass, Nico Mulhy, Caroline Shaw) or even just some good old fashioned Aaron Copeland.

Last Copland I remember was Brian Boitano in 1994 to Appalachian Spring/Lincoln/Simple Gifts. I enjoyed the flow and simple emphasis on the essence of gliding. Unfortunately, I do not think his concept would be Code friendly - low levels perhaps. There are other Copland pieces perfect for pairs.

labgoat

Now updating the 6.0 rewatches with new videos
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I always thought that the music of The Good, The Bad and The Ugly would be great to skate to, even not dressed as a cowboy (yes, I mean you, Philippe). Although I don't think anyone would skate to this music because of the subject matter of the film, the music to Brokeback Mountian is beautiful, and would make a great program.

Eric Millot 1996 Worlds - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly https://youtu.be/KaAqjdt1wcI

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
A few of my thoughts on why a lot of the times the same pieces of music are used:

1. Tried-and-true: Previous skaters have used the piece of music and have obtained good results with it. The piece of music is 'judge-friendly' and choreographers know how to work with these pieces.

2. Classical music in particular provides a nice backdrop to a program. On the other end of the spectrum, heavy metal rock and rap music could be quite distracting and could easily overshadow the skaters.

3. Lyrics were not allowed in all disciplines except ice dance until these past few years and that limited the overall number of music choices (unless the skaters skate to the instrumentals from the Vitamin String Quartet or similar instrumental cover bands).

Similar to the posters above me, I am liking the incorporation of lyrics in all FS disciplines and the increasing variety of programs we are seeing. I also like how the 2016/17 short dance allowed Hip-hop as one of the music choices, and we got to see some innovative programs like V/M's Prince SD. Broadway is going to be one of the themes for 2019/20, so we are seeing Ice Dance further branch out from the more traditional styles of its ballroom routes.

As for skaters' costumes, there are considerations like how to show off the skater's lines, posture, and not be obstructive to their skating in general.

I for one am DREADING the "Broadway Season." I fear an overload of Andrew Lloyd Webber is imminent. Or the same old same old. My Fair Lady, A Chorus Line, Les Miz, Grease, Cabaret, Chicago. Blah blah BOHRING.

There are so many wonderful Broadway scores that come from small musicals that would be fresh and interesting choices. I for one would love to see someone skate to A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine. Or Falsettos. Or one of the most beautiful scores in years and years: The Light in the Piazza (Dividing Day is one of my fave Broadway songs ever). Even Urinetown would be a quirky choice - the show, after all, did win the Tony for Best Score. And will "jukebox" musicals be allowed? Technically, you could skate a Beatles program (Beatlemania), ABBA (Mamma Mia), Queen (We Will Rock You), etc etc etc.

Really, the terror is already creeping in...

:eeking:

BillNeal

You Know I'm a FS Fan...
Record Breaker
I for one am DREADING the "Broadway Season." I fear an overload of Andrew Lloyd Webber is imminent. Or the same old same old. My Fair Lady, A Chorus Line, Les Miz, Grease, Cabaret, Chicago. Blah blah BOHRING.

There are so many wonderful Broadway scores that come from small musicals that would be fresh and interesting choices. I for one would love to see someone skate to A Day in Hollywood/A Night in the Ukraine. Or Falsettos. Or one of the most beautiful scores in years and years: The Light in the Piazza (Dividing Day is one of my fave Broadway songs ever). Even Urinetown would be a quirky choice - the show, after all, did win the Tony for Best Score. And will "jukebox" musicals be allowed? Technically, you could skate a Beatles program (Beatlemania), ABBA (Mamma Mia), Queen (We Will Rock You), etc etc etc.

Really, the terror is already creeping in...

:eeking:

Falsettos is so underrated. Just imagine an RD that starts with Four J's in a Room Beeching. I can see a non-touching midline step sequence done to that song. +5GOE if a team can pull it off with those lyrics. And if they are going to use Falsettos, they need to do a two segment program, RD for the first act and FD for the second act. I need to see a circular step sequence to Unlikely Lovers. Though, I'm not sure how they will top that chess piece ending (from the revival).

Now if someone were to choose a popular Broadway musical, I wouldn't mind if they choose Wicked. I mean when they do a lift, they are somewhat Defying Gravity. They even made Moulin Rouge into an actual musical this summer and it's heading to Broadway next year. A slew of Tango de Roxanne (musical version) twizzles, after the tango season :drama:.

Now some teams do have good taste. I enjoyed 42nd Street performed by Cappelini/Lanotte and Weaver/Poje during the same season. I think one of these two will likely compete next year so all hope is not lost yet ;)

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last Copland I remember was Brian Boitano in 1994 to Appalachian Spring/Lincoln/Simple Gifts. I enjoyed the flow and simple emphasis on the essence of gliding. Unfortunately, I do not think his concept would be Code friendly - low levels perhaps. There are other Copland pieces perfect for pairs.

Juniors, but still, it was a great program:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgkW1PF-f9I

my wild jumper Alex Krasnozhon with his 2016 "Rodeo" FS and the great KnC reaction "I made the Grand Prix final!" He's not the most refined skater, but I thought his passion did Copland justice.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Oh, yeah! I loved Alex's "Rodeo" program. We got to see it live @ US Nationals. Copland is one of my favorite American composers, for that matter.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Oh, yeah! I loved Alex's "Rodeo" program. We got to see it live @ US Nationals. Copland is one of my favorite American composers, for that matter.

Lucky you!

I think many of us agree: more Copland programs please. Let the skating gods hear:)

Fluture

Record Breaker
One thing I always admired Evgenia for were her (or her team’s) music choices. Starting from her junior time when she chose to portray a Robot in her FS, using classical music but in the middle a tango. Then of course all the programs she had as a senior. They were always pushing the boundaries, not only technically but even more so artistically. And of course her Sailor Moon ex is fantastic! That‘s what I really, really like to see. Skaters who skate to something they really love and personally connect to. It can be in exhibitions - that‘s what they‘re there for after all - but maybe even in the competitive programs. Wakaba‘s Bond program was GORGEOUS!

Overall: I agree. More creativity! Carmen, POTO, Swan Lake... can be fine, no doubt about that but honestly, I‘m kind of ”meh“ already when I hear of these choices even before seeing the actual program. Sometimes a unique masterpiece is made with this music, yes. But most of the time I‘m just like: ”Dare! Dare more! Even if it doesn‘t work out. At least you did!!“ It‘s the season after the Olympics. The best time to try something you didn‘t want to during the Olympics where you naturally want to play it safe and to your strengths with the program. But now? All doors are wide open to be unique, creative and maybe even a little crazy. :biggrin:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Was Yuzuru underscored for skating to Seimei or Hisaishi's music?

Maybe some other fan can give you a link, but Brian was never totally on board with Hope & Legacy because he thought the quietness of the music wouldn´t suit the judges taste. Yuzuru still choose to keep the program (and it was a very difficult process because Hisaishi has denaid permission to modified his pieces before, I think it was for Takahiko Kozuka), and some still argue that H&L was underscored.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Maybe some other fan can give you a link, but Brian was never totally on board with Hope & Legacy because he thought the quietness of the music wouldn´t suit the judges taste. Yuzuru still choose to keep the program (and it was a very difficult process because Hisaishi has denaid permission to modified his pieces before, I think it was for Takahiko Kozuka), and some still argue that H&L was underscored.

I've read quite a few convincing arguments on that (and before anyone thinks it, yes, I'm biased so didn't take a lot of convincing). But on the other hand, you can look at it this way: with the men's historic records now set, both of these unique pieces are pretty much immortalised.

I really would like more - and more wide-ranging - film soundtracks, given that they are designed to create, change and enhance visuals and the moods surrounding the visuals, they many would be perfect. But skaters (who okay, aren't musicians!!!) do tend even with them to go for safer, more well-known stuff...

OTOH, warhorses like cliches, and warhorses (and cliches) for a reason... the public (which includes judges, who also are musicians) like them.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I've read quite a few convincing arguments on that (and before anyone thinks it, yes, I'm biased so didn't take a lot of convincing). But on the other hand, you can look at it this way: with the men's historic records now set, both of these unique pieces are pretty much immortalised.

I really would like more - and more wide-ranging - film soundtracks, given that they are designed to create, change and enhance visuals and the moods surrounding the visuals, they many would be perfect. But skaters (who okay, aren't musicians!!!) do tend even with them to go for safer, more well-known stuff...

OTOH, warhorses like cliches, and warhorses (and cliches) for a reason... the public (which includes judges, who also are musicians) like them.

On the one hand that's true. Humans like the familiar. But I think you're also underestimating people. Good music is good music, even something that isn't considered as "accessible" as a Carmen or PoTO. Think of something like Pina. For quite a while there, it was something of at least a War Pony. And someone had to take the chance and use the music first (I believe in this case it was Jeremy Abbott, but I could be wrong). A good program to good music, whether it is a War Horse or War Pony or Out of Left Field (heck even Out in the Parking Lot) will always find an appreciative audience. Which is why I think coaches and choreographers shouldn't worry so much --audiences are much smarter than they give them credit for!

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Dubstep programs, yay or nay? The bad ones would be awful but the good ones would be sooo good.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Overall: I agree. More creativity! Carmen, POTO, Swan Lake... can be fine, no doubt about that but honestly, I‘m kind of ”meh“ already when I hear of these choices even before seeing the actual program. Sometimes a unique masterpiece is made with this music, yes. But most of the time I‘m just like: ”Dare! Dare more! Even if it doesn‘t work out. At least you did!!“ It‘s the season after the Olympics. The best time to try something you didn‘t want to during the Olympics where you naturally want to play it safe and to your strengths with the program. But now? All doors are wide open to be unique, creative and maybe even a little crazy. :biggrin:

I wonder if ISU were to introduce a bonus point for an original music choice - how skaters/choreographers would respond

gkelly

Record Breaker
How would you define "original music choice"?

Would it be a yes/no decision? Or would there be gradations? Who would decide?

There's already a bullet point for "Originality" in the Composition component and in some of the element GOEs. That applies more to skating movement than to music choice, but choosing a different style of music can inspire developing different ways of moving on the ice. Should judges be more strongly encouraged to look for and to reward originality in the choreography?

Tutto

Record Breaker
How would you define "original music choice"?

Would it be a yes/no decision? Or would there be gradations? Who would decide?

There's already a bullet point for "Originality" in the Composition component and in some of the element GOEs. That applies more to skating movement than to music choice, but choosing a different style of music can inspire developing different ways of moving on the ice. Should judges be more strongly encouraged to look for and to reward originality in the choreography?

Okay it might be easier if there was an 'approved list' of most overused pieces and when the skater chooses to skate to one on the list they get -1 deduction?

SmallAminal

On the Ice
Okay it might be easier if there was an 'approved list' of most overused pieces and when the skater chooses to skate to one on the list they get -1 deduction?

LOL....I suggested that on another thread just now! Let's start a petition and gather signatures!