Expressive upper body/arms | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Expressive upper body/arms

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Evgeni Plushenko , Joshua Ferris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hJpMS2tYpI - Evgeni Plushenko - Meditation (Thais) Montage 4m 40s without jumps. I always laughed at those who thinks he is only jumps. Plushenko has one of the most beautiful arms and hands in FS very balletic and perfect. Oh, I know this is unbelieveable for those who think he is only a jumper. Take the trouble to watch few programs of him!

Last edited:

sarama

Medalist
There are too many to mention, but Yuna is in a league of her own. Her use of the upper body was always meaningful, musical and with gorgeous lines. It was one of her biggest strengths, those arms were just hypnotic.

Marius

Art on Ice
Final Flight
Men: Patrick Chan, Jeremy Abbott
Ladies: Yuna, Caro, Marin, Akiko

Rissa

Record Breaker
Patrick has "expressive" arm movement? :unsure: Half the time he just holds his arms spread stiffly, and when he doesn't, his arm movement is so controlled there's nothing expressive about it. Maybe it's what some would call refined, but "expressive"? Uhhh, no.

cl2

Final Flight
Patrick has "expressive" arm movement? :unsure: Half the time he just holds his arms spread stiffly, and when he doesn't, his arm movement is so controlled there's nothing expressive about it. Maybe it's what some would call refined, but "expressive"? Uhhh, no.

I love love love Patrick for his silky smooth skating skills and butter-soft edges, but for his upper body expressiveness, I gotta agree with you on this one... lol...

Warwick360

Medalist
I used to like how Rachel Flatt would make the most of what she had in terms of spins and jumps, even though she may not have had the most flexibility or the greatest fire power, respectively.

HOWEVER, having said that, this is a vid to exemplify how NOT to do the flailing of arms in the middle of the routine...https://youtu.be/68O_RfCcn7Q?t=2m37s

The most dizziness a step sequence could ever induce. Never seen a more over done hand movement in the name of expressing oneself. :slink:

Last edited:

yuna13

On the Ice
Expressive upper body and arms = guillaume cizeron. Build a home program shows his abilities to do what others can't do.

Last edited:

cl2

Final Flight
I used to like how Rachel Flatt would make the most of what she had in terms of spins and jumps, even though she may not have had the most flexibility or the greatest fire power, respectively.

HOWEVER, having said that, this is a vid to exemplify how NOT to do the flailing of arms in the middle of the routine...https://youtu.be/68O_RfCcn7Q?t=2m37s

The most dizziness a step sequence could ever induce. Never seen a more over done hand movement in the name of expressing oneself. :slink:

I didn't follow skating nor Rachel Flatt during her time... but boy, do I wish I could unsee that... :eek:hwell:

Suze

Rinkside
The Lark Ascending - Try to watch this by only looking at her arms and ignoring the rest of her body. It's so lovely. No, it's ethereal!! Sadly, in the latter half of her career, she stopped wearing costumes that bared her shoulders and arms, but I liked her dresses where you could see her arms and shoulders.

Amei

Record Breaker
Sasha Cohen - her use of her arms/hands during her spins was fantastic.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Li Zijun stands out with her artistic arms among today's young Ladies. Chen Lu and Carolina Kostner also come to my mind immediately. Their artistry is expressed down to every finger tip.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I think this can be interpreted several different ways. For sure Akiko, Mao, Yuna, P/C, and Caro.

Then there are also skaters who are good at using their upper body for storytelling like Johnny and Ashley.