Favorite Moments from the Grand Prix | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Favorite Moments from the Grand Prix

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Here is my video scrapbook of some of our favorite memories from this season. I tried to use as many suggestions from this thread as I could but there is only so much time. Maybe I'll make a part two but this was much more time consuming than I had intended it to be and two or three days of hair pulling.

https://youtu.be/8ZMWIcF0eaw
Available up to 720p HD

The concept was to sort of make it look like everyone was skating one program. I tried my best to put transitions together that somewhat complimented each other. It is what it is and I just hope some of you like it.

Massive thanks to everyone who make it easy to find video clips in the event threads (stop clogging that thread up with comments) and to everyone who has offered suggestions here. :thank:

lovely video! the music is gorgeous :love:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Here is my video scrapbook of some of our favorite memories from this season. I tried to use as many suggestions from this thread as I could but there is only so much time. Maybe I'll make a part two but this was much more time consuming than I had intended it to be and two or three days of hair pulling.

Available up to 720p HD

The concept was to sort of make it look like everyone was skating one program. I tried my best to put transitions together that somewhat complimented each other. It is what it is and I just hope some of you like it.

Massive thanks to everyone who make it easy to find video clips in the event threads (stop clogging that thread up with comments) and to everyone who has offered suggestions here. :thank:

What's the music? It's driving me nuts. I KNOW THAT SONG! Why can't I remember the title/artist? I'm too young for dementia (don't say ONE WORD Snow ;)).

:gaah:

PS Oh yeah. Lovely job Sam. Thank you.

Ok, so what's the song? :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Marble Sounds "Time to Sleep"

I edited it in like 15 places though so it's nothing like the original really :slink:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
What's the music? It's driving me nuts. I KNOW THAT SONG! Why can't I remember the title/artist? I'm too young for dementia (don't say ONE WORD Snow ;)).

:gaah:

:laugh2:

You're too funny! :laugh2:

:scard8:

P.s. Sam, can I ask you how long did it take to make this video?

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:laugh2:

You're too funny! :laugh2:

:scard8:

P.s. Sam, can I ask you how long did it take to make this video?

Hmm...don't judge me here. Probably 3hrs on Saturday up to Kanako's smile and then probably 4-5 hrs on Sunday for the rest and then fixing some rendering errors. Actually I bet it was over 8 hrs. :slink: I have OCD when it comes to matching as many movements to the beat as possible so I can spend 15 minutes on a short 3-5 second clip at times. Of course sometimes the clips fit perfectly on their own too. If you are interested in doing videos yourself then it is reasonable to do it in far less time and expect the same results.

My favorite concept was in the beginning when Elena got encouraged from her coach, took the ice, then Nicole took center ice and when she took in a deep breath you see Max let out a breath and begin the program. That's when I got the idea to make it look like one program that they are all sharing...at least in theory. All of this stuff goes by so fast but the little things like that are what I spend so much time on.

Rika's Tano is gorgeous too :love:

Thanks for watching everyone. I really make these in hopes that my GS friends will enjoy them.

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist

Ok, so what's the song? :)

You should make friends with Shazaam... :)

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Hmm...don't judge me here. Probably 3hrs on Saturday up to Kanako's smile and then probably 4-5 hrs on Sunday for the rest and then fixing some rendering errors. Actually I bet it was over 8 hrs. :slink: I have OCD when it comes to matching as many movements to the beat as possible so I can spend 15 minutes on a short 3-5 second clip at times. Of course sometimes the clips fit perfectly on their own too. If you are interested in doing videos yourself then it is reasonable to do it in far less time and expect the same results.

My favorite concept was in the beginning when Elena got encouraged from her coach, took the ice, then Nicole took center ice and when she took in a deep breath you see Max let out a breath and begin the program. That's when I got the idea to make it look like one program that they are all sharing...at least in theory. All of this stuff goes by so fast but the little things like that are what I spend so much time on.

Rika's Tano is gorgeous too :love:

Thanks for watching everyone. I really make these in hopes that my GS friends will enjoy them.

Okaaaay. It's very long. And the concept is great. The video looks professional, you probably can work on TV with this kind of skills :)

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okaaaay. It's very long. And the concept is great. The video looks professional, you probably can work on TV with this kind of skills :)

Very nice of you to say but the real credit goes to the skaters in the video. It really is a sport filled with special moments isn't it :)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Oh goodness, I feel like a total Luddite--I actually still listen to my old vinyl records and :)shame:) cassette tapes.

I know, they're gonna take my computer away from me one of these days...

But enough :eek:topic:

How about another round of :clapper: for a marvelous job by Sam, no matter how long it took!

ssffww

On the Ice
1. Ashley Wagner's personal bests at Skate Canada - so glad to see her break 200 internationally
2. Hanyu's NHK skates - amazing!
3. Gracie Gold's skates - all of them - so thrilled she seems to have found her mojo again
4. Max Aaron at Skate America - nice to see him finally have his moments
5. The return of Mao!
6. Julia Lipnitskaia - Looking more like her old self at Trophee Eric Bompard!
7. Boyang Jin - amazing!!
8. Evgenia Medvedeva - Welcome to seniors!
9. Satoko Miyahara at NHK - this girl ALWAYS goes through the door when it opens. That's her strength! Amazing!
10. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - coming back from 7th at Skate Canada to snag the silver - way to go girl!

Alex D

Record Breaker
My moments

Sam-Skwantch :thumbsup: wonderful! Very nice video!

My moments (sorry wall of text),

I want to start out by saying, that this was the first GP season that I watched almost completely. In the past, I often felt that the concept of only the best and not the underdogs, was kind of flawed and I still think that an event with just about two groups of skating per discipline is a bit questionable. Then again, I was greatly entertained as I felt that these stars were also accompanied by the underdogs like Nikole Rajicova, who did skate amazingly well at the US. It´s these moments, why I enjoy the sport so much, someone can just skate and do good, while showing what it means for him or her.

Grace

Just look at Gracie Gold, she for sure is not an underdog anymore and you can see in every line and expression, what this season means for her. This is not just about skating at the GP, no! This is, about going to Boston and trying to win gold. Her programs this season are fabulous and I have not seen her in such good shape since the juniors. She is out there to enjoy, she is able to push her limits and all of this, with grace and beauty, with passion and strong will. Rightfully she is a contender for Boston, rightfully she is at the GP Final, but wrongfully has she once again been criticized when she came "only" second at Skate America.

Block the sound

Second she came, because of a Russian Wunderkind, Evgenia Medvedeva, who has marvelous interpreting skills. When her SP to Melodies of the White Nights kicks in, she covers her ears, it´s just a small and minor detail, but it is what makes this sport to much more than just sport. It is about showing us a story, about using everything that god gave you and she illustrates this beautifully well. Besides that, she skates backwards at times and I love this so much, as it shows the variety in a skater and it is a necessary ingredient to high SS. Her battle against Gracie and later Elena Radionova who has amazing programs and story lines this season- is courageous to everyone out there, who might still struggle in life. No matter, how hard it is, you can do it and if you fall like she did at Moscow, then you just have to stand up again.

The Darkness

Standing up she did, after a disaster in her short at SC. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, is one of many skaters who are stars today, but were none when I first saw them 8 or 9 years ago. Her development is amazing and she never, ever gives up. It is right what she said, even champions fall and you just have to remember this at all times. Her FS while performed at Halloween, was spooky and had that special dark vibe, that not many skaters can perform accordingly. A lot is about happiness, about Love - but the darkness is what many shy away from. Not so, however, Liza - she performed to Peer Gynt and I said it before, if any lady out there, can ever skate to the OST "Mad Max" by Brian May, then its her.

The River

Talking about music and joy, what Rika Hongo delivered at COC, was out from this world. All her elements in the FS to Riverdance were on beat, they aligned wonderfully with the phrasing of the music and her Choreography and interpretation is probably one of the best, that I have seen to "uplifting" music, over the past 10 years. She is that program, just like Sasha Cohen once was Romeo & Juliet or Lipnitskaya, the "red" girl at Schindlers List. It´s these special moments, when skaters have golden feet and idea´s to create something for the history books.

She is back

History she made at Sochi and got nothing but hate and blame in return. Adelina Sotnikova, is an amazing figure skater and those who do not want to see this, just because she is Russian or has beaten their idol, are silly and will miss out. Sure, her programs at Moscow were not perfect, but isn´t it fun how she came back, after 18 months out? She is sexier than ever, she is more musical than ever and now it will take some more time for her, to get her jumps back as well. I so loved these smiles when she messed up, she knew it was early and the first big competition and as I always say, this girl is lovely and she will always be my Adelina, the girl who I once said would become the Olympic champion and she did exactly this!

She is back too!

Another comeback girl is Mao Asada, her SP is fantastic. What she did at COC was so wow for me, her interpretation skills, amazing! She is getting a lot of love for her FS, but to me her SP is what makes the difference this season, the difference between girls and women on the ice. She has beautiful lines and uses the music so well for her elements, it is such a pity that she was not scored accordingly at China, but in the end, scores won´t decide what I like, they never did, therefore she skated into my favorite moments with her "Bei mir bist du schoen", performance.

Pina

Even a tad more, do I like what Alaine Chartrand is able to present, in her short to Pina. Again, the final 10 seconds, when she goes backwards, wow! So sexy and cleverly choreographed! It is one of the best shorts in years for me, it is her program and the music is like made for the Canadian. To see her cry after the Long was so sad, as she is a girl that has her heart open for everyone and yet she is naughty on and off ice. To me, she is a skater who want´s to go big and due inexperience, still suffers at times. But, she will go her way, with or without that triple Axel! I so wish her all the best, be sexy, be naughty, be strong!

Only Human

Oh boy, Kaety... what did you do at home soil my dear! I was so in tears when I saw it, I could not believe me eyes and she was in tears too, but as a lady she did not let them out - courageous! While the short was amazing, the long was not and it couldn´t be, as she was injured, yet wanted to be there for her fans. During the exhibition skate, she almost apologized to her nation and it was one of these moments that I can not get out of my head. She was not dressed up for the red carpet as she usually is, she was not going for goofy elements and triples, no! She just put her soul on the ice, for everyone to see. Respect Kaetlyn Osmond!

Dance for You

Another lady who gained a lot of respect for her exhibition is Julia Lipnitskaya. Skating to Beyoncé and again, apologizing for making mistakes, for not being the perfect girl. Whoever was the recipient, I do hope he or she got the message and that she will come back soon. What happened to this girl is so tragic. She was the big starr for Sochi and when she didn´t deliver, she was dumped. I never understand why fans do this, but I guess the answer is simple, they are not fans of the personality or sport, but the fame - the fame that they want to use for themselves to cover their own misery...

Ballroom

Quite a misery or better put mystery is their current season. Madison and Evan, have a beast of a short - the flow, the interpretation, how both are present on the ice, it is so ICE DANCE! To me, one of the best short programs in Ice Dance history of the past 10 years and yet, yet it scores low - low in perspective to others. For me, what they can create on the ice, is not from this world and I do not understand why the US fans, don´t appreciate that pair more. Her skills as a dancer are fabulous and she can give you that special look that either makes you run away or to her. I love that pair and I want them to present this beast of a short at its best, when it counts at worlds.

Dima & Katja

I am so incredible happy to have Bobrova & Soloviev, back on the ice. These two are my favorite Russian Ice Dance pair since so many years and I never, ever understood why they are not loved. They create some of the best stories on ice, their Anna Karenina is fabulous! I analyzed their program at NHK and it is just the perfect dance and their best ever. They need to go to worlds, the Russian fed has to realize this, they are Russian Ice Dance - they are man and woman!

Dasa

What a woman has she become! Dasa Grm, wow. She looks a million dollars and her FS at Moscow, oh boy - I had tears in my eyes! This woman has skills not from this world, it´s not about jumps with her, it´s about personality and I love what she does and always will. It became a bit quiet about her recently and I am happy to have seen her at Rostelecom, with some of these very special & magical moments, moments in which nothing seemed to work for her, yet she came through and this with a smile. See yourself kissed, young lady!

There were of course, many more special moments, Anna Pogorilaya, the Italian Ice Dancers Fabri & Charlène Guignard, Patrick Chan, Hanyu, Alexa Scimeca reacting to scores ...

I have put hotlinks into this wall of text, so that you can read up if you like. The links mostly go to my columns and reports about skaters that I mentioned.

Good Luck to everyone at the GPF :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Layback11

Record Breaker

Available up to 720p HD

I love it! Thanks so much for doing this!

Idontsk8

On the Ice
The video is amazing! I have been meaning to put my suggestions since Saturday but life got in the way. So fast to make this, and with such quality, thank you! :thank:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The video is amazing! I have been meaning to put my suggestions since Saturday but life got in the way. So fast to make this, and with such quality, thank you! :thank:

Please feel free to post your favorite moments. I enjoy just reading everyone's thoughts in this thread and besides...maybe I'll start a sequel on my day off. ;)

Thanks for the kind words.

nguyhm

On the Ice
A big thank you to Sam-Skwantch for the wonderful video. Job well done :love:. I love all the favorite moments that have been listed so I will only add a few that have stayed close to my heart. Mao's (second) 3A in the LP at CoC, just wow. I very much appreciate the fact that Yuzuru recognized his coach in the K&C - raising Brian's arm to cheer, respect :bow:. The Shibs totally won me over, I love their programs this year and Maia's cat eye (make up) - I know I'm shallow :slink:, also the best twizzles :luv17:.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh my gosh, I can't believe I forgot to put Adian's breakout at CoR on my list.

The look on Yuzuru's face when the score comes up is great!