How should ISU address potentially dangerous elements? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

How should ISU address potentially dangerous elements?

Yogi

Rinkside
Country
United-States
ICE DANCERS - CONCUSSIONS in alphabetic order (I added dates):

Jean-Luc Baker (2015, 2018, 2023)
Emily Bratti (several concussions, one or more in 2022)

Laurence Fournier - Beaudry

Kaitlin Hawayek
(summer 2021)
Madison Hubell (2013)

Sara Kishimotot & Atsuhiko Tamara (don’t know which skater 2023)
Misato Komatsubara (2 concussions in 2019)

Marjorie Lajoie (2017, 2024)

Solene Mazingue (2022, 2023)
Kana Muramoto (summer of 2020 or 2021)

Gabriella Papadakis (2015)

Anthony Ponomarenko
Betina Popova
(4 concussions in 2019)

Maxim Serov (2020)
Alexey Shchepetov (2023)

Shiyeu Wang

If somebody would know another dancers with concussion or dates of those who I don't know, feel free to write it.
Didn't Madison Chock have a concussion in 2020 that caused them to miss the domestic Skate America?

Arigato said:
What argument? There isn't one.

Thank you for understanding that point.

But let me attempt a better explanation of my opinion. To me, there is a difference between, on the one hand, utilizing off-ice training to learn and perfect a figure skating move, and on the other, transporting to figure skating a move from an entirely unrelated area of endeavor.

The trouble with the backflips shown in post 106 is that they are terribly executed. Any tumbler, any gymnast, any acrobat, can do it 100 times better. The impression is, here are two dudes goofing around in youthful exuberance. Or, in the case of Adam Fa, one dude.

I am happy that Mark Hanratty is happy. I am happy, too. Let skaters go where the spirit leads them. Let's hear it for youthful exuberance! Where would the world be without it?

Similarly, I have no complaints about a figure skating program that is heavy on jumps. Ilia's LP at worlds sent the audience into raptures of ecstasy, it sent television commentrators into raptures of ecstasy, it sent me into raptures of ecstasy. Bravo!

True, I cannot now recall what music he skated to. I cannot recall whether he portrayed a character or told a story. I cannot remember any overall theme to the choreography, nor any of the details. Well, I'll leave that to the analysis of thre experts. For me, all that was swept aside in an avalanche of heroic derring-do. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Last edited:
But you can spin off ice. Look up Off ice figure skating spinners LOL.
True, Ballet dancers can spin on the floor, too. Not as fast or as long as skaetrs can, but still...

To me, this doesn't compromise the claim that spinning lies at the heart of figure skating, as does gliding across the ice (in magnificent elegance :laugh: )

sisinka

Medalist
I don't want to troll, but do you guys think the raspberry flip or whatever it's called or Adam's handless cartwheel thingy are less dangerous?

If Ilia lost control, he could land on his head sideways and Adam could also crash face down onto the ice. Why then are these moves ok but not the back flip?

I do believe that the difference comes from the fact that Raspberry Twist is a variant of spin entry, so is partially Adams’ cartwheel. As to danger, I think Raspberry is not comparable to back flip. In Adam’s case if take off would go wrong, the biggest blow would probably come to the chest and one of upper arms.

Raspberry Twist – comes from Butterfly spin entry and Ilia added one rotation there.

Many years back Paul Wylie was executing series of Russian split jumps – the third one was with extra rotation, it looked well. https://youtu.be/beir_RwxwUc?t=166

Todd Eldredge – flying sit spin entry in 1997 (many men are using this entry today), Ilia Kulik 1998 and 2009 – transitional movement, Adam - 2024

Re-using old transitional movements from past years... some of them were really gorgeous if performed precisely.

Never tried that one [Detroiters] is one I never tried myself (that confession has to be a first ;)) but I can see why it's more dangerous than the star lift, for instance...
One pairs move that always gave me the willies was the dismount from a high lift where the lady falls straight down head first hoping her parner catches her by the ankles at the last moment. Ina and Zimmermann specialized in dismounts of this sort (as well as in winning the eye-candy prize).

I think they called it a candelstick lift, but when I tried to search You Tube for an example, instead what came up were a bunch of videos about country line dancing.

Last edited:

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
But let me attempt a better explanation of my opinion.

I can only imagine what is coming my way. Hit me baby, one more time.

To me, there is a difference between, on the one hand, utilizing off-ice training to learn and perfect a figure skating move, and on the other, transporting to figure skating a move from an entirely unrelated area of endeavor.

You got the loud buzzer sound for that irrelevant fluff. Next.

The trouble with the backflips shown in post 106 is that they are terribly executed. Any tumbler, any gymnast, any acrobat, can do it 100 times better. The impression is, here are two dudes goofing around in youthful exuberance. Or, in the case of Adam Fa, one dude.

You got the loud buzzer sound again for suggesting Ilia goofing around on carpet at a social event is the equivalent of coaches training a skater on ice to include it in a competitive program, which is what Adam did.

I am happy that Mark Hanratty is happy. I am happy, too. Let skaters go where the spirit leads them. Let's hear it for youthful exuberance! Where would the world be without it?

I never posted Mark Hanretty was happy. More comments which fail to address anything in my post, whatsoever.

Similarly, I have no complaints about a figure skating program that is heavy on jumps. Ilia's LP at worlds sent the audience into raptures of ecstasy, it sent television commentrators into raptures of ecstasy, it sent me into raptures of ecstasy. Bravo!

This addresses nothing in my post, either.

True, I cannot now recall what music he skated to. I cannot recall whether he portrayed a character or told a story. I cannot remember any overall theme to the choreography, nor any of the details. Well, I'll leave that to the analysis of thre experts. For me, all that was swept aside in an avalanche of heroic derring-do.

I can't recall anything about his program other than he completed 6 clean quads.
Now, let's all do a group activity:

Bless the heart of anyone who after engaging in such a glorious activity finds themselves in a state of ecstasy.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
One pairs move that always gave me the willies was the dismpount from a high lift where the lady falls straight down head first hoping her parner catches her by the ankles at the last moment. Ina and Zimmermann specialized in dismounts of this sort (as well as in winning the eye-candy prize).

I think they called it a candelstick lift, but when I tried to search You Tube for an example, instead what came up were a bunch of videos about country line dancing.
You need a substantial height difference for that, ensuring he has plenty of time to grab as your legs go past his face. Then even if he doesn't get a grip until he catches your ankles, your head is still well off the ice. I can't remember how Ina/Zimmerman did it, but in my circles it was called a dive or plunge dismount and you held your hands out as you went down, like a diver. Worst case scenario, he didn't catch you properly and you could break a wrist or two landing on your hands if you couldn't come up with a cartwheel in time to save yourself. I didn't do it in competition because I've got comparatively long legs and they had the potential to look awkward and ungainly if they got loose on us, but the dive got put into a couple of show programs to make the audience gasp ;).

sisinka

Medalist
I also am worried about the number of concussions in ice dance. I still have vivid memories of Dubreuil falling on the ice from a lift at the Olympics.

Yes, I also remember Marie - France Dubreuil's fall, it was terrible moment.

Charlene Guignard had a bad fall from FD lift at European Championships 2017, she was in a position with head down and Marco was staying on one foot, he lost balance, but happily she avoided hitting the head.

At European Championships 2007 Federica Faiella & Massimo Scali were doing reverse lift in FD - Federica in Spread Eagle with bend knees and Massimo with head down - she lost balance and he fell directly on his head and neck.

All those terrible falls happened because of requirements for levels and difficult positions.

If you are in Spread Eagle or skating on one leg only, you have minimal possibility to fight when your centre of balance moves (especially if this happens fast and you are lifting your partner).

It is ice and there can be hole you skate into, in this case you can fall easily too.

If Patrice Lauzon could use both hands to hold Marie - France, she would not fall. If Marco or Federica wouldn't be in a difficult position (one leg, Spread Eagle) their partners wouldn't fall probably. What "if" does not belong to sport, but such moments lead to rethinking things.

I do understand that skaters push themselves into triple and quad jumps although it is more difficult (and dangerous) than double jumps, they indeed push technical level higher and higher. But ice dance lifts? They are definitely more dangerous than ever before. Much more dangerous then lifts under old system. But are they really worth it? Because Level 4 lifts are no way indication of anything figure skating or ice dancing is about.

I suggest ICE DANCE LIFTS as another topic for evaluating. What is its cost and benefit? Why to risk injuries in Level 4 lifts when those elements are not indicating skating or dancing level of the couple.

In case of single skaters and pair skaters it is their choice if they pick triple or quad jump (twist or throw jump) in a routine. The difficulty of the jump is a results of pressure from other skater's level or individual decision of skater to execute more difficult jump. Yuma Kagiyama executed quad salchow and toeloop for the most of the season, but more difficult jumping content of his rivals pushed him to included quad flip into his Free Skate at World Championships.

Level 4 lifts have mandatory requirements and features created by ISU. Dancers may pick features more suitable for them, but they are restricted with number of repetitions for each feature in Free Dance, which is no way helpful. It is their choice that they pick Level 4 lifts, because they want points. But is it ISU choice that they created Level 4 requirements so dangerous.

sisinka

Medalist
I would like to ask @Arigato , as she/he looks to follow Adam SHF closely.
Is there any available video of Adam practising back flip with helmet, harness, supervisor, ...? If so, could you post a link, please?

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Is there any available video of Adam practising back flip with helmet, harness, supervisor, ...?

No idea. But maybe we can find Keegan's training videos while looking for Adam's.

Last edited:
:clap: :clap: :clap: This should be an Olympic sport in its own right!

Actually, the world record for barrel jumping is 18 barrels, set in 1981 by Canadian skater Yvon Jolin. In 1992 the Canadian Barrel Jumping Association petitioned the Internatiomal Olympic Commission to have barrel jumping accepted as an Olympic sport. Alas, the petition was rejected. For one thing, barrel jumpers do not have to land on their feet -- after leaping over as many barrels as they can they crash into a buffered barrier at the end of the course.

It is not really dangerous, though. Barrel jumpers wear helmets and substantial butt-pads.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:clap: :clap: :clap: This should be an Olympic sport in its own right!

Actually, the world record for barrel jumping is 18 barrels, set in 1981 by Canadian skater Yvon Jolin. In 1992 the Canadian Barrel Jumping Association petitioned the Internatiomal Olympic Commission to have barrel jumping accepted as an Olympic sport. Alas, the petition was rejected. For one thing, barrel jumpers do not have to land on their feet -- after leaping over as many barrels as they can they crash into a buffered barrier at the end of the course.

It is not really dangerous, though. Barrel jumpers wear helmets and substantial butt-pads.

my dad was a barrel jumper champion ;)
now... no.. they didn't land on their feet, but mostly on their butts indeed... just like it is for long jump.

At least Keegan's backflip is a pretty good one. :points:

The sport of artistic barrel jumping could have a scoring system like diving. You get a barrel score (how many barrels did you clear), multiplied by a style-points score (twice as much for a backflip, somersault, or twist as for a feet-first long long jump, plus a thrill score -- more if you jump over people rather than innert barrels.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At least Keegan's backflip is a pretty good one. :points:

The sport of artistic barrel jumping could have a scoring system like diving. You get a barrel score (how many barrels did you clear), multiplied by a style-points score (twice as much for a backflip, somersault, or twist as for a feet-first long long jump, plus a thrill score -- more if you jump over people rather than innert barrels.
not at all.. it was about the number of barrels... and the distance cleared after the barrels. So for instance 13 barrels + 6 inches ;)

Arigato

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Yuma Kagiyama executed quad salchow and toeloop for the most of the season, but more difficult jumping content of his rivals pushed him to included quad flip into his Free Skate at World Championships.

Claiming Yuma was pushed by content of his rivals to include a quad flip is a bit of an insult to a superb skater. In reality, Yuma was out for the entire prior season due to injury and he was not performing at his full capacity, yet. It is more than reasonable that an athlete would take it slow after being out of competition for so long. Only a reckless coach would have suggested he add a quad flip fresh off a year of injury rather than getting his legs back underneath him at the beginning of the season and then bring in a new jump that he wanted to do.

Interview with Yuma 1/2024:

“I was able to deliver a satisfactory performance. Finally, I can move on to the next stage,” said Kagiyama after Nationals, giving himself the green light to his next big move – adding a quad flip.

After Japanese Nationals, he began working on changing the program composition and making adjustments to the choreography, “We made detailed adjustments, such as the movement of the hands. The density of the program remains the same or may even be higher.” Aiming for a high-level results, he expressed his determination to “attack” and not compromise on the artistic elements he values. “While aiming for the top and surpassing 300 points, I want to perform a flawless program.”

As for his Free Skate at 2024 Worlds, his quad flip GOE was an impressive 4.56. You just don't see GOE that high very often on a quad, much less one that was just introduced. He deserves credit for his hard work, physical recovery, and dedication to the sport. Nothing less.

sisinka

Medalist
Claiming Yuma was pushed by content of his rivals to include a quad flip is a bit of an insult to a superb skater. In reality, Yuma was out for the entire prior season due to injury and he was not performing at his full capacity, yet. It is more than reasonable that an athlete would take it slow after being out of competition for so long. Only a reckless coach would have suggested he add a quad flip fresh off a year of injury rather than getting his legs back underneath him at the beginning of the season and then bring in a new jump that he wanted to do.

Intension of my post is never to insult anyone.

I don't know country you are from (Japan looking at your user name?), if so, I don't know the way you lead a conversation. I may use words and description which in my country (I believe in Europe as well) is taken absolutely OK. While in your country it can be taken differently.

So once again I don't intend to insult anyone.

I knew Yuma was injured last season. Starting with lower content was wise decision for sure.

Of course we can say that he started with lower jumping content and in December he decided to add more quads, because he was injure free and already addapted to competing again. And RESULTS at Grand Prix Final PLAYED NO ROLE in it. But that is not what he said in an interview in my opinion.

- interview after Grand Prix Final in December 2023

To compete against skaters like Malinin with my current program is almost impossible, I think. When everyone performs without mistakes, my position is truly still here (3rd place). I strongly realized that. I need to add more and more quadruple jumps. While considering the content, I believe I need to improve the quality to earn GOE (Grade of Execution) for jumps, spins, and everything. I think the only thing I can do is improve my quality to earn more points.”

He also feels that he is gradually returning to a state where he can return to a content with four quadruple jumps like the Beijing Olympic season.

I understood that his words meant that he realised that (comparing with his rivals) he is losing in Technical Score thanks to smaller number of quad jumps. And he and his team plan to add more quad jumps to increase his Technical Score.

I didn't read original article as I don't know Japanese language. Was translation not precise? Did he said something else in original article?