ISU Figure skating Awards | Page 3 | Golden Skate

News ISU Figure skating Awards

News

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
They've been held, and here's the list of the winners:

Best newcomer: Hana Yoshida (shooting star)
Most valuable skater: Ilia Malinin (for presence on social media mostly)
Best Costume: Loena Hendrickx (for the SP)
Best coach: Mie Hamada
Most entertaining programme: Adam Siao Him Fa (FS)
Best choreographer: Benoit Richaud
Lifetime Achivement Award: Brian Orser
Special achievement award: Deanna Stellato-Dudek (inspiration by way of her age)

As usual tending towards single skaters (no ID couple winning anything and only one pair skater), at least a bit more of a Japanese presence this time though I find it odd that Shoma who has also made the sport popular (also with a big Social media presence) didn't win anything.
Ehhhh, it's all strictly politics, even more so than some of the worst judging.

Anyone remember when this was gonna take the place of the Worlds gala, have red carpet and black tie, glitz and glamour, and make figure skating big again?

No?

Me neither.:laugh:

Carol1

Medalist
What in the world was this? I just saw a clip of a decrepit male vocalist singing a blues song that was worse than Beth Hart, Ilia's vulgar outfit, and then the Swiss Eurosivion singer performing "We Don't Need Another Hero" while the Knierims skated.

I'm hoping this was all a bad dream.

Amei

Record Breaker
What in the world was this? I just saw a clip of a decrepit male vocalist singing a blues song that was worse than Beth Hart, Ilia's vulgar outfit, and then the Swiss Eurosivion singer performing "We Don't Need Another Hero" while the Knierims skated.

Ilia is dressed like a priest once you get to the weird portion of the show that's a group skate of shirtless guys.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't exactly get the "Most Valuable Skater" award. Is this for making the most posts on social media sites?

I am guessing that this is "valuable" to the ISU because it stirs up interest in skating?
But it doesn't...

'Most valuable' is their Humpty Dumpty phrase so it can be awarded to whoever they are trying to promote as the next big draw.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I don't exactly get the "Most Valuable Skater" award. Is this for making the most posts on social media sites?

I am guessing that this is "valuable" to the ISU because it stirs up interest in skating?
I sat on my couch watching 3 hours of "dance" and an ice show somewhere...only by using the mouse on the timeline a whole bunch was this watchable...in 20 min. The remarks of the skaters et al were OK....Hana was good...the total event was worth exactly what I paid for it. There was some woman who couldnt speak American who tried and failed to explain how the judges' scoring interfaced with the public votes but no matter, it was nice to see Miki and LuLu again. So to answer Mathman's question, there is no way of telling how the social media'public votes/ vs judges votes all fit in together...and it doesnt matter in the end.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

The Knierims did not skate here.

Not that I watched it, but I know that much. I realize it was an honest mistake, but just wanted to point it out.

Last edited:

Magill

Record Breaker

But it doesn't...

'Most valuable' is their Humpty Dumpty phrase so it can be awarded to whoever they are trying to promote as the next big draw.
Especially when it happens to go to a teenager who was sent to a sensitivity training by his own fed for insulting other skaters in his social media with homophobic comments, this award's justification gets a whole new meaning. Sure, interest it was, but is it this kind of interest and "social media presence" ISU is really looking for?
Along with the Best Coach award going again to a person whose training methods are allegedly abusive, the picture is pretty depressive even if you think it all a meaningless affair which it is.

Magill

Record Breaker
If I am not mistaken, the guy who came up with the idea of these awards in the first place and Ilia's agent are the same person. Maybe for him, being on social media is indeed what makes a skater valuable 🤷‍♂️
Maybe what makes him valuable to the organizer is that the organizer is probably getting a share of his income being his agent.

Last edited:

viennaskater

Medalist
Forgot this was on, so watched a recording, which is kind of better in case you need to skip bits ...

Good things:
Kurt Browning presenting
Brian Orser getting an award
Deanna getting an award
Papadakis/Cizeron as guest skaters
Knierem/Frazier ditto - especially as they've been sitting out this season
Topless beau hunks skating to 'Goldeneye' - now that got my attention!
Jason Brown

Bad things:
That Australian woman presenting - don't like her and sorry but who IS she? Come back Tanith Belbin!
Australian women seeming to announce that each award is a 'particular favourite of mine'. (That's what it seemed like).
A bit too much Eurhythmics!
The way the camera often cut away from the skater performing and instead showing us shots of the crowd (oh come ON!)
and shots of the arena in general. Especially if it's Jason Brown, whom you do not cut away from!
The whole thing went on a little too long

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Ilia for winning the most valuable skater award. He's pushing the envelope for skating with his jumps and tricks on the ice during the programs. It's getting some people interested in watching the sport that aren't interested already. And honestly, I think that's good for the sport. We've all talked about trying to expand the sport in terms of watching, and isn't that a good thing? We want more people to see how great this sport is and it's not just classical music and dainty moves.

Last edited: