Most marketable Female athletes | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Most marketable Female athletes

peg

Medalist
Respectfully, you are assuming too much and in the process been offensive over a simple post with a list that I only posted because it includes figure skater. Again the website is public domain if you wanted to know the process they used just check.
I am sorry I did not know that if I posted something, I had to include the methodology.

I don't understand:drama: what it mine post merited you discussing what I know,my age or anything else personal about me.

Oh come on! No one ever said (or even suggested) you had to include the methodology. But people do have a right to ask about it and discuss the link you posted, do they not? Otherwise, why bother posting it? Why get defensive when people express a curiosity about the methodology. That comment wasn't even directed at you. It was a general comment not directed at anyone and simply part of discussing the link you posted. That's part of what we do here. Someone posts something. Others discuss. So why get defensive and reply with a totally irrelevant comment like "It's not a competition"? You seem to be taking a question raised in the course of a general discussion and interpreting it as personal criticism. Why all the drama? :scratch: And what does being curious about the methodology have to do with it being a competition? I'm still scratching my head over that one, and yes, it did lead me to think you didn't understand my comment.

And my apologies for bringing up your age etc. I was replying to golden's post where she used the fact that you called it a list as evidence that it wasn't an article. I guess the essential point I was trying to make is that simply because someone posts a link, that doesn't mean they are the undisputed authority on the information about that link. Which, really, is what you also seem to be saying. Perhaps I should have made that point in a more general way. Again, my apologies.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I was replying to golden's post where she used the fact that you called it a list as evidence that it wasn't an article. ...

For the record, you have twisted (and/or misunderstood) what I said in my post. :bang:

peg

Medalist
For the record, you have twisted (and/or misunderstood) what I said in my post. :bang:

I must have misunderstood. So please explain what you meant when you replied to this comment
It is an article. Simply one that is written for a website rather than in a magazine, newspaper, or print journal.

with

For the record:
Minze's OP specified that what is at the link is a list.

minze

Medalist
Oh come on! No one ever said (or even suggested) you had to include the methodology. But people do have a right to ask about it and discuss the link you posted, do they not? Otherwise, why bother posting it? Why get defensive when people express a curiosity about the methodology. That comment wasn't even directed at you. It was a general comment not directed at anyone and simply part of discussing the link you posted. That's part of what we do here. Someone posts something. Others discuss. So why get defensive and reply with a totally irrelevant comment like "It's not a competition"? You seem to be taking a question raised in the course of a general discussion and interpreting it as personal criticism. Why all the drama? :scratch: And what does being curious about the methodology have to do with it being a competition? I'm still scratching my head over that one, and yes, it did lead me to think you didn't understand my comment.

And my apologies for bringing up your age etc. I was replying to golden's post where she used the fact that you called it a list as evidence that it wasn't an article. I guess the essential point I was trying to make is that simply because someone posts a link, that doesn't mean they are the undisputed authority on the information about that link. Which, really, is what you also seem to be saying. Perhaps I should have made that point in a more general way. Again, my apologies.

When did I get defensive? And I said it wasn't a competition to avoid a skater vs another skater thead? Thank you for reminding me how a forum works.
When you asked why someone wasn't in the list I responded that I did not know. How is that defensive? By the way, the only thing that offended me is you making assumptions about me.

Other than that peace:)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I must have misunderstood. So please explain what you meant when you replied to this comment

with

Only b/c you asked, here is a longer story short:
I quoted portions of three interrelated posts before giving my two mini-paragraphs in response. It made more sense to me to keep the three interrelated quotes together.
Response #1 pertained to Quotes #1 and #2. Response #1 was intended to refute the implication that I perceived in Quote #2 (not from you) that the OP might have been misleading.
Response #2 pertained to Quote #3 (from you).​

I assure you that I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself, and it is my own opinion that what is at the link in the OP is a list -- or as I later said more precisely, an annotated list.
My opinion is/was not dependent on Minze's, although I happen to agree with her/him.

To me, an article (based on the same information) is more like what is at the following link:

For everyone's sake, please don't make me belabor this discussion further. Please. Life is too short.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
When did I get defensive? And I said it wasn't a competition to avoid a skater vs another skater thead? Thank you for reminding me how a forum works.
When you asked why someone wasn't in the list I responded that I did not know. How is that defensive? By the way, the only thing that offended me is you making assumptions about me.

Other than that peace:)

Sorry, I thought you were responding to my comment because you quoted me, but apparently you were responding to someone else. That explains my confusion. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I agree, but it must be hard to compete with Sharapova who is the most marketable female according to the list globally. Also, just a question how popular is figure skating in Russia right now?

The FS is very popular in Russia. As I wrote in another thread the three most popular athletes in Russia are figure skaters.

According to fund "Public Opinion"1. Plushenko 2. Lipnitskyaya, 3. Sotnikova http://www.dni.ru/society/2014/12/16/289479.html

Another annual a survey by big All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM)http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=115105

the rank is same 1. Plushenko 2. Lipnitskyaya, 3. Sotnikova

According to Prosport online magazine http://prosport-online.ru/football/100-samyh-populyarnyh-rossijskih-sportsmenov-rejting-prosport

100 most popular athletes in Russia
1. Sarapova 2. Ovechkin 3. Plushenko.......6. Yulia.....11. Adelina

Last edited:

Manitou

Medalist
Probably Yulia if she can stay in form. Half of the world fell with her in a matter of two months last year. I know she is still a minor and minors are rarely put on the market, plus she has a very shy personality, nevertheless I think she has probably the biggest potential.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adidis has started using Yulia in their newest promotional campaign and Nike uses Gracie too.

I don't think any of them will ever appeal to the masses though.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Only b/c you asked, here is a longer story short:
I quoted portions of three interrelated posts before giving my two mini-paragraphs in response. It made more sense to me to keep the three interrelated quotes together.
Response #1 pertained to Quotes #1 and #2. Response #1 was intended to refute the implication that I perceived in Quote #2 (not from you) that the OP might have been misleading.
Response #2 pertained to Quote #3 (from you).​

I assure you that I am perfectly capable of thinking for myself, and it is my own opinion that what is at the link in the OP is a list -- or as I later said more precisely, an annotated list.
My opinion is/was not dependent on Minze's, although I happen to agree with her/him.

To me, an article (based on the same information) is more like what is at the following link:

For everyone's sake, please don't make me belabor this discussion further. Please. Life is too short.

Thanks for the explanation. I honestly had no way of knowing which of your statements were linked to which quotes, and given that I had just given the definition of an article, it just came across as though the first part was providing the rationale for your second comment. Also, I never for a minute thought that you were not capable of thinking for yourself. I've seen enough intelligent posts from you to know that you do think for yourself :)

minze

Medalist
The FS is very popular in Russia. As I wrote in another thread the three most popular athletes in Russia are figure skaters.

According to fund "Public Opinion"1. Plushenko 2. Lipnitskyaya, 3. Sotnikova http://www.dni.ru/society/2014/12/16/289479.html

Another annual a survey by big All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM)http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=115105

the rank is same 1. Plushenko 2. Lipnitskyaya, 3. Sotnikova

According to Prosport online magazine http://prosport-online.ru/football/100-samyh-populyarnyh-rossijskih-sportsmenov-rejting-prosport

100 most popular athletes in Russia
1. Sarapova 2. Ovechkin 3. Plushenko.......6. Yulia.....11. Adelina

Thank you. Of course Russia does have big figure skating legacy. The fact that Plushenko is #3 does not surprise me the man has been in 4 Olympics

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Yulia already did.

Her performance did, but she's not really marketable to the masses, she's introverted, on the quiet side, has a reputation for being a bit stoned faced but I think it's okay, she seems like a low key person in real life. She probably doesn't want the masses following her every step and breath like Sochi

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Her performance did, but she's not really marketable to the masses, she's introverted, on the quiet side, has a reputation for being a bit stoned faced but I think it's okay, she seems like a low key person in real life. She probably doesn't want the masses following her every step and breath like Sochi

I agree. She actually was turning down offers to do ads and wondering why people would want to have her do them. :laugh2: I actually like that about her.

Barb

Record Breaker

Yulia is marketable, Mao Asada is introverted too and she is very popular. The thing about Yulia is she needs to get good results. And her personality is really interesting, her interviews are great, very honest and smart.

Last edited:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I agree. She actually was turning down offers to do ads and wondering why people would want to have her do them. :laugh2: I actually like that about her.

I like that about her too! I love her stony expressions too, she's got a really good no nonsense face, love it

Yulia is marketable, Mao Asada is introverted too and she is very popular. The thing about Yulia is she needs to get good results. And her personality is really interesting, her interviews are great, very honest and smart.

Mao Asada is an introvert but she's got a bright personality and smiles a lot which is really likeable, Yulia's cute but she's doesn't come off as super approachable like Mao does

minze

Medalist

True. Mao was able to create a moment which I believed made her Japan's sweetheart. The moment she won her first GP final in front of her home crowd they loved her forever. Who could resist a 14 year old doing 3A and winning titles over the veterans.Of course, she also had the results after that to back up the hype. Also, Mao was able to keep a very clean image.

minze

Medalist

Aw didn't know that. If I had something yo sell I would use Yulia in my ads without question. She is beautiful

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
Some notes: Repucom is very well-known and respected in the sports marketing industry and this article is one of their thought leadership freebies.

DBI is run on request. Meaning if you are Yu Na's agent and want to get her score, you have to call DBI and ask to include her in the next survey. Also Awareness is the highest weighted metric. I remember seeing a report from DBI a while back and being surprised Jennifer Lawrence's score was lower than Kim Kardashian's and it turned out the last time they measured her was well before her Oscar win.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Some notes: Repucom is very well-known and respected in the sports marketing industry and this article is one of their thought leadership freebies.

DBI is run on request. Meaning if you are Yu Na's agent and want to get her score, you have to call DBI and ask to include her in the next survey. Also Awareness is the highest weighted metric. I remember seeing a report from DBI a while back and being surprised Jennifer Lawrence's score was lower than Kim Kardashian's and it turned out the last time they measured her was well before her Oscar win.

Thanks for shedding light on this. So the measure of marketability is empirical only if someone contacts those keeping the index on behalf of the athlete in question and only then an update is run?

It would make me sad to know that an Oscar winner's index would be lower than a fame***** whose main ambition in life is to be Beyonce's best friend (and I bet Bey and Gwyneth text each other snarking about Mrs. Kanye behind her back).