Most marketable Female athletes | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Most marketable Female athletes

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Thank you. Of course Russia does have big figure skating legacy. The fact that Plushenko is #3 does not surprise me the man has been in 4 Olympics

According to the two greatest funds Plush is the most popular even in this year, too. What is a little bit surprised me. He was attacked by the media after Sochi and some famous persons and skaters( for ex.Yagudin) his wife is famous and maybe infamous ( in many Russian eyes ) and he( Plush) is also celebrity, not just an athlete. The Russians are very critics to their celebrities....

Last edited:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Some notes: Repucom is very well-known and respected in the sports marketing industry and this article is one of their thought leadership freebies.

DBI is run on request. Meaning if you are Yu Na's agent and want to get her score, you have to call DBI and ask to include her in the next survey. Also Awareness is the highest weighted metric. I remember seeing a report from DBI a while back and being surprised Jennifer Lawrence's score was lower than Kim Kardashian's and it turned out the last time they measured her was well before her Oscar win.

Thank you for the detailed info on the firm, which is what I've wanted to know because I had a difficulty to measure how reliable the source is. The firm's notability seems to be limited to the people in or somehow related to the profession though. It is interesting that the firm also gauges American celebrities and actors as potential clients even though they don't seem to care much about the US market.

Last edited:

peg

Medalist
Some notes: Repucom is very well-known and respected in the sports marketing industry and this article is one of their thought leadership freebies.

DBI is run on request. Meaning if you are Yu Na's agent and want to get her score, you have to call DBI and ask to include her in the next survey. Also Awareness is the highest weighted metric. I remember seeing a report from DBI a while back and being surprised Jennifer Lawrence's score was lower than Kim Kardashian's and it turned out the last time they measured her was well before her Oscar win.

Thanks for the added info.

kiara_bleu

On the Ice
Thanks for shedding light on this. So the measure of marketability is empirical only if someone contacts those keeping the index on behalf of the athlete in question and only then an update is run?

It would make me sad to know that an Oscar winner's index would be lower than a fame***** whose main ambition in life is to be Beyonce's best friend (and I bet Bey and Gwyneth text each other snarking about Mrs. Kanye behind her back).

I would guess that not only agents but companies that want to hire athletes as endorsers would probably use it to gauge whether they want to collaborate with them, for how much, and in how many markets. For example, an international makeup company might hire a popular Chinese actress but only contract her to advertise for the Asian market thus spending significantly less in fees and publicity. However, if that actress has had some international success they might look at how she scores globally and decide if she is worth more investment.

peg

Medalist
Thank you for the detailed info on the firm, which is what I've wanted to know because I had a difficulty to measure how reliable the source is. The firm's notability seems to be limited to the people in or or somehow related to the profession though. It is interesting that the firm also gauges American celebrities and actors as potential clients even though they don't seem to care much about the US market.

Just because they are more focused on Europe doesn't mean they aren't able to run this kind of analysis for The US market. I just looked at their site again, and while they are a global company and more concentrated in Europe, they do have a presence in the US. Plus a large marketing firm can easily either do data collection remotely or subcontract to a local company for that component.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Interesting. I too thought Yuna would make it with S Korea really gaining a lot of power. I am a bit surprised about the Williams sisters because there is still prejudice in the US and both ladiesa re not known for being overly feminine to sell clothing (regular/street/evening or designer. I remember one designer saying he didn't want them wearing his clothes because he made them look awkward and ugly (his words) because their muscles are rather extreme and not very feminine. Now that was his opinion. I thought Kostner would fall down the list with her drug 'scandal'' issue. Mao I can see being there because Japan has a large spending market.

I am a bit surprised about the Williams sisters because there is still prejudice in the US and both ladies are not known for being overly feminine to sell clothing (regular/street/evening or designer). I remember one designer saying he didn't want them wearing his clothes...

Don't worry, Mr. Unnamed Mean Designer Man, Venus and Serena won't come begging to wear your clothes. They have their own fashion lines. :)

http://www.hsn.com/shop/serena-williams-fashion/fa-6590

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...williams-show-new-york-fashion-week/15361971/

https://elevenbyvenuswilliams.com

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/another-winning-serve-from-venus-williams-2/

andromache

Record Breaker
The idea that incredibly talented women should only marketable based on their perceived physical attractiveness is outdated and disgusting, considering how the media pushes this image of thin, blonde, white women as the perfect ideal. I think it's great that the Williams sisters are two of the most successful female athletes, marketing-wise. They're both beautiful and talented; not fitting the proscribed "ideal" makes their accomplishments off the tennis courts that much more impressive, because in a beauty-obsessed culture, it's important for them to show young girls that black, muscular women can be beautiful too.

Just my two cents.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't think of a single advertising campaign that the Williams sisters were involved with. :scratch: What did they endorse? No way I could answer that without looking it up.

I couldn't care any less about skin color, size, and attractiveness. Exactly why I would never go into marketing. I'd prefer to live in a world where the current advertising trends are outdated.

Last edited:

loiza

On the Ice
The idea that incredibly talented women should only marketable based on their perceived physical attractiveness is outdated and disgusting, considering how the media pushes this image of thin, blonde, white women as the perfect ideal. I think it's great that the Williams sisters are two of the most successful female athletes, marketing-wise. They're both beautiful and talented; not fitting the proscribed "ideal" makes their accomplishments off the tennis courts that much more impressive, because in a beauty-obsessed culture, it's important for them to show young girls that black, muscular women can be beautiful too.

Just my two cents.

I agree. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::clap:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I can't think of a single advertising campaign that the Williams twins were involved with. :scratch: What did they endorse? No way I could answer that without looking it up.

I couldn't care any less about skin color, size, and attractiveness. Exactly why I would never go into marketing. I'd prefer to live in a world where the current advertising trends are outdated.

Examples:
- Venus and Serena Williams were in an ad for the Apple iPhone.
- Serena is one of the faces of Nike.

BTW, they are not twins. Venus is the older sister.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker

Just my two cents.

Very well said. :agree:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Examples:
- Venus and Serena Williams were in an ad for the Apple iPhone.
- Serena is one of the faces of Nike.

BTW, they are not twins. Venus is the older sister.

Fixed :) I knew that too. :bang:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Just my two cents.

I agree with you right up until this. I don't see why people need to be seen as beautiful too to be in an advertising campaign? Why can't the notoriety they bring and athletic prowess be enough. In the end you seem to use the exact logic you are trying to defy.

andromache

Record Breaker
I agree with you right up until this. I don't see why people need to be seen as beautiful too to be in an advertising campaign? Why can't the notoriety they bring and athletic prowess be enough. In the end you seem to use the exact logic you are trying to defy.

My comment was in response to an above argument started by Flaya (which I think has been deleted, so sorry for opening up an unwanted can of worms) who expressed surprise at the Williams' success because of their physical appearance, suggesting that the Williams sisters are not beautiful. I think eradicating the beauty aspect of ad campaigns for women is nearly impossible, but the best thing we can do is celebrate it when untraditional types of beauty are being presented in the media (old women, women of color, muscular women, fat women) because they are opening up the definition of beauty and moving us past stereotypes.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Changing gears a bit and onward to something related to figure skating, how marketable are the current ladies. How marketable is say Elizaveta now that she is near the top of the figure skating world. I remember her endorsing Herbalife over the summer.

What products would be best suited for these athletes? I an ashamed to admit to this day that Gracie's United Airlines commercial has burned a hole in my brain and I still think of her when I see their commercials or ads or fly anywhere. Any other products/markets (other than athletic gear which is a no brainer) that these ladies should tap into?

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
The very flossy ones should be considered for.cosmetics, hair products, diet products, clothes, air travel, hotels.

The athletic jockette onnes should.do underarmor, sporty clothing, kleenex, power related stuff, gas, sports cars, energy foods.

btw, Meryl & Charlie are doing pretty well still on getting endorsements. Meryl just got Vera Bradley.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Changing gears a bit and onward to something related to figure skating, how marketable are the current ladies. How marketable is say Elizaveta now that she is near the top of the figure skating world. I remember her endorsing Herbalife over the summer.

What products would be best suited for these athletes? I an ashamed to admit to this day that Gracie's United Airlines commercial has burned a hole in my brain and I still think of her when I see their commercials or ads or fly anywhere. Any other products/markets (other than athletic gear which is a no brainer) that these ladies should tap into?

I could see Elizaveta in advertisements for eye-makeup (she's got the most beautiful eyes I've seen).
Also:
Jewelry
Skates
Bath products

Then, on the other end of the spectrum, the more obviously muscular Mae Berenice could get endorsements in:
Sports Drinks,
Training wear
Skates

Last edited: