Most marketable Female athletes | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Most marketable Female athletes

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
btw, Meryl & Charlie are doing pretty well still on getting endorsements. Meryl just got Vera Bradley.

When I saw that Meryl got that endorsement, I couldn't help but cheer loudly for her. That brand has a super loyal fanbase. Vera Bradley isn't my style, personally, but I have friends who are major Vera Bradley fangirls.

Speaking of which, Meryl has her own page on the Vera Bradley website! http://www.verabradley.com/content/content_wide.jsp?pageName=meryldavis

I'm totally loving the "Where can I get that one handbag that Meryl had in that one photo" comments. Meryl is doing a great job already! :)

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We are thrilled to announce an exciting new partnership with 2014 Olympic Ice Dancing Gold Medalist Meryl Davis …
… a woman whose energetic spirit, kindness and incredible accomplishments truly inspire us. As Vera Bradley’s Brand Ambassador, she will share the styles and colors she’s carrying, as well as packing tips and a glimpse into her busy life, both on the road and at home

:)

A roadmap there for what our skaters have to sell!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think it's been mentioned that SOMEBODY needs to get Jason Brown a hair products endorsement, stat! He uses SO much stuff to get that hair style of his. :)

(Slightly OT, I know...but just popped up when thinking of figure skaters/endorsement)

ETA:

I know this is about marketable girls, but I just want to share a bit of Oda fun. I just saw this this morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGpBYdN_Vaw

Newbie and I were thinking alike. ;) Oda and that wig. :laugh2:

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wouldn't be too quick to pigeonhole anyone ;).

Serena Williams had a partnership with OPI nail polish.

And she has attended cosmetology school (incognito) to prep for an entrepreneurial career in the beauty industry after leaving competitive tennis.

ETA, sample photos of Serena in glam mode as she promoted her OPI line :):

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker

andromache

Record Breaker
When I saw that Meryl got that endorsement, I couldn't help but cheer loudly for her. That brand has a super loyal fanbase. Vera Bradley isn't my style, personally, but I have friends who are major Vera Bradley fangirls.

Speaking of which, Meryl has her own page on the Vera Bradley website! http://www.verabradley.com/content/content_wide.jsp?pageName=meryldavis

I'm totally loving the "Where can I get that one handbag that Meryl had in that one photo" comments. Meryl is doing a great job already! :)

I hate when marketing wins me over like this; I'm honestly way more inclined to get a VB bag that Meryl has endorsed than one of their other ones. :hopelessness:

Since we're bringing men into this, Joshua Farris can sell me anything :love:. But I think MAJOR ad campaigns (in the US at least) are less inclined to use male figure skaters over ladies because of the figure-skating-as-feminine stereotypes. Many products aimed at men promote a hypermasculine image that the stereotype of skating wouldn't work with. It's a shame.

In the US at least, I'm assuming that Michelle Kwan has been by far the most commercially successful figure skater? What endorsements was she doing at the height of her career?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Since we're bringing men into this, Joshua Farris can sell me anything :love:. But I think MAJOR ad campaigns (in the US at least) are less inclined to use male figure skaters over ladies because of the figure-skating-as-feminine stereotypes. Many products aimed at men promote a hypermasculine image that the stereotype of skating wouldn't work with. It's a shame.

Every time I look at your avatar image, I think Farris could be a good model for GAP, Banana Republic, CK jeans or perfume or Coca Cola. He has everything for promoting American chic styles when it comes to talk about his physical appearance, but I don't know how much fame he should get to the level; perhaps multiple time World medalists or a serious Olympic medal contender for the next Olympics. Perhaps, becoming the next US champion would be practical to get more public attention in the US. Just a side note; the thread has been moved to Le Cafe, so we can talk about other sportsmen freely. That's good.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I think the Shibutanis has some sort of endorsement/deal with Unoqlo, the Japanese clothing brand.

If not, they should get one stat! :)

https://twitter.com/alexshibutani/status/568963004072648705
https://twitter.com/MaiaShibutani/status/568930661282684929

From the ShibSibs 2014 retrospective video, I too got the impression that their Uniqlo tweets last year reflect some kind of official affiliation.

And no offense to their friend Meryl, but Uniqlo seems way more cool :cool: than Vera Bradley, IMO (although Meryl's role at VB seems much bigger).

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
It seems to be much easier for ladies to get endorsements in the states than the men.

In Asia a guy can get a jewelry endorsement.

https://40.media.tumblr.com/edf63eb61b227189a4b1cca5b82ca16c/tumblr_nkmwydK8in1rttq2go1_540.jpg

I guess this means he now gets his lucky necklaces for free.

Maia and Alex look so good in Uniqlo!
Gracie's winter training clothes advertisement looks very nice.

:hijacked: I'm honestly not surprised he'd get a jewelry endorsement. Did anyone ever figure out what the initials on his triangle necklace were supposed to mean? :p

BTW, happy 2,000 posts :hb:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
:hijacked: I'm honestly not surprised he'd get a jewelry endorsement. Did anyone ever figure out what the initials on his triangle necklace were supposed to mean? :p

Aww...thanks! But back to the topic:
Say you're an advertiser, which female skater would you pair with these items?

Car
Earphones
Shoes
Casual clothes

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
The notion that figure skating is a feminine sport isn't just some stereotype. Go on MRI, Simmons, or any syndicated resource and run a demographic report on figure skating fans. It will show that skating fans skew older and female. And unfortunately, marketers are more likely to go with research from credible industry sources like MRI rather than anecdotal evidence that deadspin users liked Jason Brown.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The notion that figure skating is a feminine sport isn't just some stereotype. Go on MRI, Simmons, or any syndicated resource and run a demographic report on figure skating fans. It will show that skating fans skew older and female. And unfortunately, marketers are more likely to go with research from credible industry sources like MRI rather than anecdotal evidence that deadspin users liked Jason Brown.

What do you mean by "feminine" sport?

Skating fans skew female, but so what (in terms of marketing)?

Many females are happy to pay attention to marketing msgs from men who have an aura of good looks and success

Many females are happy to pay attention to marketing msgs from women who have an aura of good looks and success.

(I don't think you mean that having female fans makes male athletes seem feminine. Obviously that is not true.)

Abraxis12345

Final Flight
This was in response to the person who said Josh Farris might not get endorsements because of the notion that skating is a feminine sport. I am just pointing out that it isn't only some unfounded stereotype. The sport's core audience is older, affluent, females. It works well for Vera Bradley (whose target is probably more affluent). It also works well for financial services companies. However, my company targets younger males and it wouldn't make much sense for us to sponsor a sport which doesn't really capture our target. Or an athlete whose recognition is from a sport that isn't watched by many in Our target demo.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Who buys presents for young guys? Among others, of course, their mothers. And girlfriends.

There is a time and a place for this sort of ad, and do recall figure skaters/figure skating shows are probably not that expensive to use in ads because their usefulness as spokesfolks is underestimated.

It amuses me when when Pandora buys ads on Disson shows...those things are gifts for the loved one in your life to commemorate events...for women...but if guys don't watch, what are advertisers, crazy? You are counting on tbe woman asking for Pandora?

Better advertise gifts for guys.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
K,I,J,H stand for:
Kindness, Infinity, Joy, Harvest.
From facebook lol

Last edited:

Flaya

Match Penalty
To come back to what I said yesterday... I specified that I was surprised that the Williams sisters got as many endorsements as they did, but that specific opinion did not carry a negative or a positive connotation. That is why, I was surprised at the mostly negative reactions, now erased from the thread as well. Are we trying to be real in here or too politically correct?

Let's face it, looks count and while it is never the most important factor, one would have to be naive to think they do not. As someone with psychology/sociology background, I simply notice that these are tangible phenomena that exist. My surprise about the Williams' sisters getting as many endorsements is not looks related. I simply do not find them that interesting in the "personality department". They do not have that personality plus factor that usually gets endorsements. This is basically all I have tried to convey about them.

As far as figure skaters go, I am not one bit surprised about their appeal. I especially mean Yuna Kim for obvious reasons in her country and Carolina Koster, especially with her pan-European appeal (Italian but also German speaking).

Last edited: