Multiple Olympic medalists at PyeongChang? | Golden Skate

Multiple Olympic medalists at PyeongChang?

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Disclaimer - "Possible multiple Olympic medalists at PyeongChang?" is my original intention, but the spacing limit....

I can't believe that the Olympics is coming in less than one week. For amusement, I list of the past Olympic medalists in each separated event who theoretically also can aim to become PyeongChang medalists in 2018.

* = with a different partner, ( )^ = uncertain about the participation at PyeongChang

Individual Event

Men - Yuzuru Hanyu (JPN) / Patrick Chan (CAN) / Denis TEN (KAZ)
Ladies - Carolina Kostner (ITA)
Pairs - Aliona Savchenko (GER)* / Hao Zhang (CHN)* / (Ksenia Stolbova & Fedor Klimov (RUS))^
Dance - Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (CAN)​

Team Event

Men - Patrick Chan (CAN)
Ladies - Kaetlyn Osmond (CAN)
Pairs - Megan Duhamel & Eric Radford (CAN) / Kirsten Moore-Towers (CAN)* / (Ksenia Stolbova & Fedor Klimov (RUS))^
Dance - Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (CAN) / Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev (RUS)​

Skaters with both Team and Indiv. medals

Men - Patrick Chan (CAN)
Dance - Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (CAN)

5th Olympic experience

Aliona Savchenko (GER)* - for 2002 with Stanislav Morozov for Ukraine, for 2006, 2010, 2014 with Robin Szolkowy for Germany and 2018 with Bruno Massot for Germany as well
Zhang Hao (CHN)* - for 2002, 2006, 2010 with Zhang Dan, for 2014 with Peng Cheng, for 2018 with Yu Xiaoyu (and possible for 2022)

Who have won how many Oly medals?

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (CAN) - a gold in 2010, a silver in 2014 along with the 2014 Team event silver
Aliona Savchenko (GER)* - two bronze medals with Szolkowy in 2010 & 2014

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
It's interesting that Team Canada will have the almost same lineup as the Sochi participants for the Team Event.

Depending on how much Hanyu can return to his former form, his double Olympic gold or winning a medal can be reachable. Patrick's chance for an individual event medal is not easily tangible at this point until other men make mistakes or he upps his arsenal. I don't think D10 has any chance to get his second Oly medal as he has been chronically injured and sadly he didn't seem to recover his form yet at the Four Continents. I wished him to become a double Oly bronze medalist like Candeloro though. It's still amazing that all men's Olympic medalists will be at another Olympics.

Carolina has participated in 2006 Turin, 2010 Vancouver, 2014 Sochi and will be at 2018 PyeongChang. Just wow!

However, she can't even beat the two veterans, Aliona Savchenko and Zhang Hao in this regard as they have participated in Olympics since 2002 with different partners in pairs!

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
I can't believe that the Olympics is coming in less than one week. For amusement, I list of the past Olympic medalists in each separated event who theoretically also can aim to become PyeongChang medalists in 2018.

* = with a different partner, ( )^ = uncertain about the participation at PyeongChang

Individual Event

Pairs - Aliona Savchenko (GER)* / Hao Zhang (CHN)* / (Ksenia Stolbova & Fedor Klimov (RUS))^

Team Event

Men - Patrick Chan (CAN)
Pairs - Megan Duhamel & Eric Radford (CAN) / Kirsten Moore-Towers (CAN)*
Dance - Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (CAN) / Ekaterina Bobrova & Dmitri Soloviev (RUS)​

Men - Patrick Chan (CAN)

5th Olympic experience

Aliona Savchenko (GER)* - for 2002 with Stanislav Morozov for Ukraine, for 2006, 2010, 2014 with Robin Szolkowy for Germany and 2018 with Bruno Massot for Germany as well
Zhang Hao (CHN)* - for 2002, 2006, 2010 with Zhang Dan, for 2014 with Peng Cheng, for 2018 with Yu Xiaoyu (and possible for 2022)

Tessa Virtue & Scott Moir (CAN) - a gold in 2010, a silver in 2014 along with the 2014 Team event silver

Is this the first time that a full set of Medalist in an event from previous Olympic competing again in the next Olympic consecutively?

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland

Individual Event

Team Event

Men - Patrick Chan (CAN)
Pairs - Megan Duhamel & Eric Radford (CAN) / Kirsten Moore-Towers (CAN)*

Men - Patrick Chan (CAN)

5th Olympic experience

If you counted Stolbova/Klimov for individual medals, you should have counted them for team event too. They had skated marvelous Free in Sochi.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Is this the first time that a full set of Medalist in an event from previous Olympic competing again in the next Olympic consecutively?

No, there have been many skaters with multiple Olympic medals from their consecutive Olympic participation such as recently Yuna Kim, Evgeni Plushenko, Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao, but they are retired, so I don't list them in the OP.

I will look into past multiple Olympic medalists and add the info into a new post later.

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
No, there have been many skaters with multiple Olympic medals from their consecutive Olympic participation such as recently Yuna Kim, Evgeni Plushenko, Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Xue Shen & Hongbo Zhao, but they are retired, so I don't list them in the OP.

I will look into past multiple Olympic medalists and add the info into a new post later.

Oh no what I mean is like Mens event Hanyu, Chan and Ten is the Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist respectively and none has retired yet and came back for the PyeongChang Olympic.
But for example from Vancouver Olympic the set of medalists are Evan, Plushenko and Takahashi but only Plushenko and Takahashi came back to compete in Sochi Olympic.
From Torino Olympic the medalists are Plushenko, Lambiel and Buttle but only Plushenko returned in Vancouver Olympic.

Usually Olympic medalist retired or injured so I just noticed that the full set of Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist all returned for this Olympic.

So I was referring to full set of medalists in one category, sorry if my wording is a little bit confusing. :)

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Oh no what I mean is like Mens event Hanyu, Chan and Ten is the Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist respectively and none has retired yet and came back for the PyeongChang Olympic.
But for example from Vancouver Olympic the set of medalists are Evan, Plushenko and Takahashi but only Plushenko and Takahashi came back to compete in Sochi Olympic.
From Torino Olympic the medalists are Plushenko, Lambiel and Buttle but only Plushenko returned in Vancouver Olympic.

Usually Olympic medalist retired or injured so I just noticed that the full set of Gold, Silver and Bronze medalist all returned for this Olympic.

So I was referring to full set of medalists in one category, sorry if my wording is a little bit confusing. :)

I went back to the 1972 Games and didn't find any others.

Sort of close:
1994 the men's podium was Alexei Urmanov, Elvis Stojko and Philippe Candeloro. In 1998, Elvis and Philippe were back at the Olympics, but Urmanov was injured. He came back the next season though.

1984 the dance podium was Torvill/Dean, Bestemianova/Bukin and Klimova/Ponomarenko. In 1988, only B/B and K/P were back, but T/D did come back later when they changed the rules about professionals.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Carolina, Aljona and Hao.

All of them have still competed under the old scoring system in senior competition.

I am on my knees.

ranran

Zamboni time
On the Ice
I went back to the 1972 Games and didn't find any others.

Sort of close:
1994 the men's podium was Alexei Urmanov, Elvis Stojko and Philippe Candeloro. In 1998, Elvis and Philippe were back at the Olympics, but Urmanov was injured. He came back the next season though.

1984 the dance podium was Torvill/Dean, Bestemianova/Bukin and Klimova/Ponomarenko. In 1988, only B/B and K/P were back, but T/D didn't come back later when they changed the rules about professionals.

Yeah. This is what I was referring to. In the previous Olympic there are always at least one medalist who didn't return.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
As Savchenko finally won an Olympic gold medal, she has become a third consecutive medalist. What a legend. :thumbsup: Duhamel and Radford are also multiple medalists in Team Event by winning a gold this time and their valuable individual bronze medal. :) Patrick Chan are also multiple medalists in Team Event and he now has a gold. Congratulations!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Carolina, Aljona and Hao.

All of them have still competed under the old scoring system in senior competition.

I am on my knees.

I wonder if Hao will keep going for the next quad. I assume Caro is retiring? And Aljona finally got the gold!