New short a ‘release’ for Duhamel & Radford | Golden Skate

New short a ‘release’ for Duhamel & Radford

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As they commence their seventh season as a team and second as reigning world champions, the already-energetic Meagan Duhamel and Eric Radford of Canada have a little extra charisma in their cross cuts motivated by the results of their unwavering competitive spirit.

More
The short program, set to “Killer” by Seal, is a release of pressure for the team.

“As I was finding music for other skaters that was just fun and light, I had a flash of ‘You know what? Why don’t we just try to have fun this year? Why does it always have to be so serious?'” Marcotte recalled. “A lot of pressure has been put on that second mark for them because their first mark has been always their strength. As the years have gone on, there has always been a push on how to make the second mark better and a lot of stress came with it. So this year I had just had enough with that type of pressure. This music is strong. It’s fun. It’s light. It shows another side of who they are.”
Beyond the training camp, Gauthier is noncommittal about competing with the throw triple Axel.

"We'll let the season go a bit and then we will decide half-way through if it's worth it to give it a try or not. If she lands it with a touch down, we will probably put it in."
Here's wishing them a healthy and happy season!

QuadThrow

Medalist
This upcoming season seems to be amazing!

D/R and S/M are both planning the 3ATh in the SP!

I expect the top pairs to try these elements in the FP:

D/R 3Tw3, 3Lz, 3T+2T+2T, 3ATh, 4STh
S/M 4Tw4, 3T, 3S+1Lo+3S, 3ATh, 3STh
S/H 4Tw3, 3T+2T+2T, 3S, 3LzTh, 4STh

The Russian pair are getting into problems.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Isn't she tired? Really, judges and Duhamel are responsible for destroying the pairs discipline. Any injuries that come to them or other pairs is on they and the judges' heads.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Isn't she tired? Really, judges and Duhamel are responsible for destroying the pairs discipline. Any injuries that come to them or other pairs is on they and the judges' heads.

The pairs discipline is at it's peak right now

And Meagan doesn't get tired, That girl is a freak of nature :cool:

s_parks

Record Breaker
More like people hope Meagan gets tired. I admit I'm too upset about xiaoyu to be excited about pairs, but I'm all for D/R having a winning season and haters gnashing their teeth.

Both pairs and men are going for broke this season. Dancers, too, although it is harder to notice technical virtuosity.

I think Duhamel and Radford are on the right track. Forget trying to be Gordeeva and Grinkov, just be yourselves and have fun doing it. Make the other pairs try to catch up to you!

noskates

Record Breaker

Just how haver they destroyed the pairs discipline? Ladies and men have pushed the bar to an extreme - why shouldn't the pairs?

moriel

Record Breaker
The pairs discipline is at it's peak right now

And Meagan doesn't get tired, That girl is a freak of nature :cool:

Well, depends on the definition of whats a peak. People who watch pairs for "2 skating as one" and the second mark are currently not so happy =)
Same as there are people whining about russian juniors destroying the ladies.

My own view is basically this: i watch singles for tech, and pairs and dance for everything else. So when singles raise the bar (hanyu and russians and mao), I´m happy. For pairs / dance, its the opposite - i want interpretation and artistry and chemistry, so I dont really care for quads and stuff. For example, i´d love Manfred by Kavaguti / Smirnov even if they did all doubles in there <3

So I get a bit frustrated when pairs go for high tech. Because they either neglect the artistry or get injured (see Kavaguti / Smirnov) or both.

Last edited:

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Well, depends on the definition of whats a peak. People who watch pairs for "2 skating as one" and the second mark are currently not so happy =)

I understand and respect your opinion, But disagree,

There is a wealth of great pairs right now, And they are both skating as one and going for more impressive Tech,
I don't see any superiority in the past to what's going on right now "connection" wise, I wanna say that because
of the difficulty there are fewer clean programs, But i don't think that's true either

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

My own view is basically this: i watch singles for tech, and pairs and dance for everything else. So when singles raise the bar (hanyu and russians and mao), I´m happy. For pairs / dance, its the opposite - i want interpretation and artistry and chemistry, so I dont really care for quads and stuff. For example, i´d love Manfred by Kavaguti / Smirnov even if they did all doubles in there <3

So I get a bit frustrated when pairs go for high tech. Because they either neglect the artistry or get injured (see Kavaguti / Smirnov) or both.

Hey I'm all for people having their own personal standards for what they consider great skating. My problem comes when the personal is imposed on every one else as the standard they should follow. Just my two cents.

And I agree with Mathman--style is also personal; what works for one person or couple may be horribly wrong for another. D/R have found a style that works for them, I've always called it The Picasso Effect: you may admire Picasso's groundbreaking techniques but not want one of his paintings hanging over the living room sofa. That's fine. Taste is not style. Just give credit where credit is due...even if a particular style isn't to your personal taste.

MaxSwagg

Match Penalty
Many of the opinions here are part of how everything's just gone wrong...

The differences is that in the men's discipline (even in ladies), most of the men (the top ones, really) are increasing tech while also expanding and refining their style (well, some more than others). Half of the top pairs, namely the presumed "current #1 pair" have not. This is an important distinction.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Well if every pair were doing the same two throws and the same easy side by side jumps, it would get boring fast. I like that the technical developments bring some level of suspense to competitions. I do like the classical pairs, but I also like the more innovative and technically daring pairs. I disagree that this is ruining the pairs discipline. This is a sport after all, and it was time that the technical envelope was pushed.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think that there are quite a few instances in competitive figure skating right now where the technical mark and the artistic mark are out of whack....... But I don't see that in pairs it's so pronounced. I think it's more prevalent in the men's discipline. JMO. Can't get worked up about Duhamel and Bradford.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

The real question is, aren't YOU tired of belittling this team? :rolleye:

I suppose any injuries on the men's side are Jin's fault then? :laugh: Any 3A injuries on the ladies' side are Mao's/Liza's fault? :laugh:

If the discipline is so "destroyed" to you, please exit stage left and don't bother watching. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well if every pair were doing the same two throws and the same easy side by side jumps, it would get boring fast. I like that the technical developments bring some level of suspense to competitions. I do like the classical pairs, but I also like the more innovative and technically daring pairs. I disagree that this is ruining the pairs discipline. This is a sport after all, and it was time that the technical envelope was pushed.

Agreed. People are upset that team isn't doing throw 3S/3L and SBS 3T/3S as the standard.

Last edited:

moriel

Record Breaker
Hey I'm all for people having their own personal standards for what they consider great skating. My problem comes when the personal is imposed on every one else as the standard they should follow. Just my two cents.

And I agree with Mathman--style is also personal; what works for one person or couple may be horribly wrong for another. D/R have found a style that works for them, I've always called it The Picasso Effect: you may admire Picasso's groundbreaking techniques but not want one of his paintings hanging over the living room sofa. That's fine. Taste is not style. Just give credit where credit is due...even if a particular style isn't to your personal taste.

I totally agree =)
Everybody is interested in different things and we shall respect it. I dont think it will happen here though, i bet my 5 cents that this thread will turn into a haters vs ubers war in a page or two =P

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm just surprised that they haven't yet announced side by side 3As. Or maybe they're saving that for the Olympics.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I know everyone wants to see how "Killer" comes out cause it's different,
But from reading how Julie talks about the FS music it actually makes me more excited to see that one

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I'm just surprised that they haven't yet announced side by side 3As. Or maybe they're saving that for the Olympics.

they are actually working on the double death spiral where both of them are gliding in opposite circles.

I have to say that I have grown to like them as a great pair team, not just as a technical pair team. I love how they skate together as BFFs. If we only had G n G types of pairs we would be bored... why not enjoy something different + they are raising the bar.... Pairs discipline took FOREVER to evolve... just a few years ago people were still doing SBS 2A and the throws were 3S and 3L.....come on.... I am very excited to see that teams can push where they excel.

Also for those saying that it's because of D/R that other teams are getting injured... ermmm... didn't you read the article? Eric explains thoroughly that their technique is actually built as "assisted jumping" where Meagan does most of the jump... they enter at a slower speed and his feet do not leave the ice.... she gets a bit of a push and that's all... compared to some other teams who go at full spin, where the man throws the lady, both skaters do a prayer and hope for the best....

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Well if anyone is suggesting that other teams are getting hurt because of what D&R are doing - what about all the leg and back injuries because of trying quads? Why is it different? In this sport there are always going to be those who are technically more advanced then others and are going to try to reach new goals. Not sure why that's a negative.