Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Polina Edmunds Withdraws from Worlds

slider11

Medalist
WOWIE...WOW!! First, I am sorry that Polina is injured and I hope her recovery is swift. She is young and has many years left to put forth her talents. I LOVE Mirai. I'm not sure how I feel about this. Part of me wants her to revel in her silver place at 4CC, work hard all summer and bring forth some new programs that show her improved jumps and expression and fabulous spins. Now....pull out the gold head band, we're back to the Demons and Gatsby Charleston! Can Mirai pull it back together in the next week? I think so...I hope so! Poor Tom Z has his work cut out for him with Max and Mirai. It would be a stunner but both have the chance for a podium finish...Ok...realistically....top 10!! I would love to have been a fly on the wall when Mirai got that news!

sheskates

Rinkside
Poor Polina, after a great nationals, I expected her to go out and kill it at Worlds.

I am very nervous about sending Mirai to worlds and maintaining 3 spots. She has shown a few flashes of brilliance over the years but most inconsistent. Her long program this year does nothing for me. The music choices don't flow well and she is much too slow.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Ready or not, judging from her social media accounts, she's ecstatic and beyond excited for Worlds.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Poor Polina, after a great nationals, I expected her to go out and kill it at Worlds.

I am very nervous about sending Mirai to worlds and maintaining 3 spots. She has shown a few flashes of brilliance over the years but most inconsistent. Her long program this year does nothing for me. The music choices don't flow well and she is much too slow.

Don't you trust Gracie and Ashley? They can get the job done no matter how Mirai skates. I would however, love to see Mirai have the skate of her life.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh my goodness! What stunning news! Hope you get well soon Polina!

(Mirai for world champion fantasy just got dreamier!!! :p)

andromache

Record Breaker
Glad Polina withdrew instead of risking trying to compete with injury, and of course I'm sympathetic that she's unhappy about it.

But I'm excited for Mirai. After medaling at 4CCs, here she has the chance to prove that she deserves to be in the mix again. A finish in the top 6 isn't totally impossible, and she should DEFINITELY wind up in the top 10. But finishing out of the top 10 would not be good. Looking forward to seeing her own the heck out of this opportunity!

begin

Medalist
:yahoo:

I'm sorry for Polina and no offense to her, but this is like a dream scenario to have Mirai at Worlds. It's been SIX years! *happytears.gif*

Layback11

Record Breaker
I just realized something.

I had a dream about Worlds at the beginning of the year in which Mirai came in 6th.

I thought it was utter nonsense after she didn't make worlds, but then Polina withdrew and suddenly it's a possibility...wow! Hope she kills it like she did at 4CC!

desertskates

Medalist

I had a dream about Worlds at the beginning of the year in which Mirai came in 6th.

I thought it was utter nonsense after she didn't make worlds, but then Polina withdrew and suddenly it's a possibility...wow! Hope she kills it like she did at 4CC!

I'm liking that dream! I just changed my predictions and put her in 8th in my "just for fun" list.

I really like Polina's skating overall and I'm sorry to see that she's out. But I'm sooooo happy for Mirai! I really hopes she makes the most of this super awesome opportunity and puts together two clean programs. I think this will really give her so much motivation during the off season. And I hope both girls get better longs for next year. Mirai's Great Gatsby idea is nice and the costume is gorgeous, but those music edits really dig at my nerves. And Polina's GWTW is just no bueno. She deserves something so much better.
So, get well soon to Polina--and best of luck to Mirai :hap10:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
:yahoo:

I'm sorry for Polina and no offense to her, but this is like a dream scenario to have Mirai at Worlds. It's been SIX years! *happytears.gif*

I have just watched the TSL interview with Mirai too, there's this one bit that almost made me cry... it the bit where she is trying to find words to justify to continue to participate in the sport. She just wanted to end it on her own terms... it took her ages to explain and she was so sincere and emotional. What she basically is searching for is the right closure... doing it on her own terms, did everything she possibly could or wanted too, with broken body pushed to the limit. Something very few skaters are able to achieve, that dream finish, the closure. The 'now' I am done. (Of course, this totally reminds me of Yuna Kim :cry:)

This season'd Mirai is more confident, assured, and managed to found a pair of programs that personally appealed to her. I hope she find her inspired moments of clarity and finish her season the way she has waited 6 years to do. Wouldn't it be something if she manages a miraculous finish like she did at 4CC?

The girl has IT! The problem is also she wears her heart on her sleeve too much, with not enough guile for a competitive skater that needed the killer instinct. She just needs to rediscover herself, the former Junior GPF champion, US National champion, 4th place Olympics placement in a legendary competition. Come on Mirai... believe in yourself...you are good enough... hold on to your golden ticket and fly!!

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
MIRAIIII!!!!!!
Sucks for Polina. She always seems to withdraw wicked late.

Um, first, how is this wicked late? Second, "always"? The only other competition she has withdrawn from is 4CC. That makes it "always"?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So in order to create a little thread drama here I have to ask if the WC got a FS upgrade or downgrade? :dev3:

stella luna

Final Flight
Don't you trust Gracie and Ashley? They can get the job done no matter how Mirai skates. I would however, love to see Mirai have the skate of her life.

I wish everyone the best, but I am scared poopless for all of them. ;)

stella luna

Final Flight

This will be a good test of your abilities!

begin

Medalist
So in order to create a little thread drama here I have to ask if the WC got a FS upgrade or downgrade? :dev3:

lol strong upgrade, imo. Mirai's program is incohesive with bad music cuts but the girl makes up for it with expressiveness. Polina's directionless program isn't made better by her skating.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
They got a sentimental favorite. A young lady who has grown up on the ice and in the public spotlight. Who has persevered despite huge obstacles within her life as well as skating. Who dealt with one of the toughest political setbacks in the sport with class. And who is actually entering this competition on a competitive high.

It's one of those stories that makes you grateful to follow the sport. I know it is a lot to ask, but I hope she has a good competition. That she can enjoy herself. She has certainly earned this opportunity this season. Had to dig herself out of a low ranking from last year's nationals, a typical slow start in early season competitions, and has been earning respect all season.

I do love her. I have no expectations. It's clear to me that Polina earned her placement, and I am always sorry to see an athlete withdraw. But there is something wonderful about the fact that Mirai Nagasu will have the opportunity to skate at a home Worlds. I saw her win the U.S. Junior Nationals in 2007. Saw her place fifth at 2008 Skate America. (Really thought she looked amazing in the practices there. Her presence on the ice rivaled the best). Saw her stun everyone--especially herself--to make the team in 2010. Saw her go out and skate the most heart-breaking exhibition I may ever have witnessed at the 2014 Nationals.

And now . . . we will see her at Worlds:).

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
lol strong upgrade, imo. Mirai's program is incohesive with bad music cuts but the girl makes up for it with expressiveness. Polina's directionless program isn't made better by her skating.

Well this hasn't stopped the Russians (minus Evegenia's FS).

I am personally looking forward to battles of the Leonardos...

Would you prefer
Leonardo dying by drowning?
Or Leonard getting shot?
Or would you prefer Leonardo getting poisoned with all that R&J
all goes nicely with this year's Leonardo mauled by a giant grizzly bear?

I am almost gutted Leonardo didn't take on the Phantom of the Opera movie instead of Gerard Butler or got to played Eddie Redmayne's role in Les Mis. Imagine all the fun we can have... :laugh:

Last edited: