Senior GP Final: Predictions Game Round 7 | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Senior GP Final: Predictions Game Round 7

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
See look! I'm not too late!

GOLD MEDAL with a PERFECT score of 210: Violet Bliss!

SILVER MEDALS with scores of 170: 4everchan, kittosuni, Violetti, Becki, Karpenko, Lydia1703, debrah, and Icebethy!

BRONZE MEDALS with scores of 160: naz, Marin, MeltedIce, moonkat, Plisskin, Xorasy, and MIM!

Everything got confusing and difficult with the bonus points thrown in, so there's more room than usual here for human error - let me know if something is wrong.

All scores will be added to the spreadsheet tomorrow. For now, I need a drink and to finish watching wrestling.

And let's all bow down to Violet Bliss for not only getting the podium (which a lot of people did) but ALSO predicting C/B in last...not doing so was the most common mistake.

Um, I'm pretty sure I have 170 points in dance? Correct podium, then C/B, B/S and H/D.

And congrats to Violet Bliss!

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
30 points for guessing right;
20 points for 1 place out;
10 points for 2 places out.

If you get the podium correct in any discipline, you will get a 30 point bonus. 60 bonus for all placements right

30+ 120 + 20 +20 =190

hi hi ;) I had the top 4, then inverted 5 and 6...

So 30 bonus for podium + 4X30 +2 X20 right? =190? I actually was just proud of my silver and went back to look to find out the mistake ;) or am i counting wrong?

and our dear VB would get 6 X30 + 60 bonus no? 240??? I don't know I am confused

Looks to me as you perhaps didn't count all six entries

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Ahhhhh okay, since this one was different from the previous ones, I just used the template CaroLiza_fan emailed us and I must have missed something...without the sheet in front of me at the moment, I know I 100% entered all 6 entries for everyone, but perhaps when it was supposed to add all of them together there was a formula missing....

I don't have access to the sheet at work because it's on my home computer, but I'll definitely get this fixed. Sorry!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Ahhhhh okay, since this one was different from the previous ones, I just used the template CaroLiza_fan emailed us and I must have missed something...without the sheet in front of me at the moment, I know I 100% entered all 6 entries for everyone, but perhaps when it was supposed to add all of them together there was a formula missing....

I don't have access to the sheet at work because it's on my home computer, but I'll definitely get this fixed. Sorry!

no need to apologize :) you guys do a lot of work...

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And let's all bow down to Violet Bliss for not only getting the podium (which a lot of people did) but ALSO predicting C/B in last...not doing so was the most common mistake.

I predicted that they would be last. And even got abuse for doing so!

I'm extending the fun and anticipation for everyone by procrastinating doing them. Yayyyyyyy!

Great way of looking at it! I like your style! :agree:

(I understand if I am banned from scoring ever again in the future because of how bad I am).

Nah, you are actually one of the better scorers I have had over the years. At least you didn't decide to stop scoring and not tell anybody like one previous scorer did... TWICE. (I was hesitant to take her back on after the first time she abandoned us, but I was desperate. And it turned out that I was right to have my doubts, as she did it again).

30 points for guessing right;
20 points for 1 place out;
10 points for 2 places out.

If you get the podium correct in any discipline, you will get a 30 point bonus. 60 bonus for all placements right

30+ 120 + 20 +20 =190

hi hi ;) I had the top 4, then inverted 5 and 6...

So 30 bonus for podium + 4X30 +2 X20 right? =190? I actually was just proud of my silver and went back to look to find out the mistake ;) or am i counting wrong?

and our dear VB would get 6 X30 + 60 bonus no? 240??? I don't know I am confused

Looks to me as you perhaps didn't count all six entries

240 is indeed the perfect score for the GP Final.

And your calculations for your own score do sound right to me.

Just to add for the benefit of non-scorers reading this, the template I sent out only deals with the "regular" scoring of the Top 6. The bonus points have to be added on manually afterwards by the scorer.

However, I do not pretend to understand all the ins and outs of the algorithm (I only edited it according to what I recognised; I didn't understand what it meant!) So, chances are that it was me that got something wrong.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a big thing...

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

andromache

Record Breaker
Just to add for the benefit of non-scorers reading this, the template I sent out only deals with the "regular" scoring of the Top 6. The bonus points have to be added on manually afterwards by the scorer.

However, I do not pretend to understand all the ins and outs of the algorithm (I only edited it according to what I recognised; I didn't understand what it meant!) So, chances are that it was me that got something wrong.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a big thing...

CaroLiza_fan

I'm guessing (again, no access to the spreadsheet I used while I'm on my work computer) that I accidentally deleted a formula or something that prevented one prediction placement from not getting added to each individual total - that seems to explain why I would be short in the amounts I'm short on. How silly of me not to notice that 30x6=180 and 180+60=240 for a perfect score :drama:.

Btw, you, Violet Bliss, and (I believe) one other person were the only ones to put C/B in last.

andromache

Record Breaker
Ice dance scores, take 2. (Turns out it was a formula problem. Missed a row when calculating totals somehow. I'll definitely pay closer attention next time!)

GOLD MEDAL with a PERFECT score of 240: Violet Bliss! Very impressive - not only getting the podium correct, but also correctly putting C/B in last place, below the team most likely to get last place H/D.

SILVER MEDAL WITH SCORES OF 190: 4everchan, kittosuni, Becki, Lydia1703, debrah, Icebethy, and sequinsgalore! The majority of these predictors had the podium correct, correctly had B/S over C/B, but had H/D in last place.

BRONZE MEDALS with scores of 170: naz, Marin, blackey, shyne, Osmond4gold, apgold, silverfoxes, invisiblespiral, Gia_Sesshoumaru, Sabrina, sunnyouyang, mirai4life, koatcue, noctiluca, sunn1ly, ines42575, randomfan, sarahjoanne, alebi, SarahSynchro, mom2cavs, MeltedIce, ptskate, cer, moonkat, oat, surimi, LA143, sweetsugar1613, nipman, Plisskin, Stitchmonkey, chezzu, Xorasy, desertskates, ladykk, Alchamei, LadyB, semosk8tfan, slider11, MIM, evergreen, HR4, berry8, TheGrandSophy, daylightescapades! These predictors had the podium right but mixed up the places 4-6. (The most common order was C/B, B/S, H/D.)

Hopefully I did it right this time!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Btw, you, Violet Bliss, and (I believe) one other person were the only ones to put C/B in last.

nope, CaroLiza_fan did it too as far as I remember, b/c one of posters - Nathan13 probably - posted sort of a 'scrunchy' face emoji on this choice so it stuck in my mind :)

cer

Rinkside
I believe I am supposed to have a score of 170 for Ice Dance with the following predictions. On the spreadsheet it looks like I have 100 points right now for ice dance.

1. Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR
2. Gabriella PAPADAKIS / Guillaume CIZERON
3. Maia SHIBUTANI / Alex SHIBUTANI
4. Madison CHOCK / Evan BATES
5. Ekaterina BOBROVA / Dmitri SOLOVIEV
6. Madison HUBBELL / Zachary DONOHUE

Thanks for the help.

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Ice dance scores, take 2. (Turns out it was a formula problem. Missed a row when calculating totals somehow. I'll definitely pay closer attention next time!)

Hopefully I did it right this time!

Was it my fault...? :eek:: :slink:

nope, CaroLiza_fan did it too as far as I remember, b/c one of posters - Nathan13 probably - posted sort of a 'scrunchy' face emoji on this choice so it stuck in my mind :)

It was me that andromache was replying to in that post! :laugh:

And, yeah, it was Nathan13.

But, I was right in the end! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
So apgold is the overall winner of this marathon with 1770. Getting the dance podium right became the decisive factor.

daylightescapades is second with 1760. Again dance podium made the difference.

NoNameFace is third with 1750. Quite a strong overall GPF performance

sabinfire is left only with a pewter medal. A strong leader for the whole second half of the game missed the very final chance and the competition did not forgive that. 1745 - just 5 points off the podium.

I have to be fair to say that sunnyouyang shared the 4th place with the same 1745.

My own result is similar to the last year - 36th place with 1640. But the company that share this place with me is quite respectable so that I don't complain: 4everchan, Poice, xibsuarz

Anyway, it was fun and we all hopefully play next year. May be guessing the gold in ladies will not be such a no-brainer as this season, who knows.

I will push again with the idea of team competition. There's a lot of tension not only in the world but at GS as well. Hence, making pure national teams might not be the best idea. On the other hand, if GS buddies either from one of from different countries team up and develop joint strategies - it might add extra fun.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
So apgold is the overall winner of this marathon with 1770. Getting the dance podium right became the decisive factor.

sabinfire is left only with a pewter medal. A strong leader for the whole second half of the game missed the very final chance and the competition did not forgive that. 1745 - just 5 points off the podium.

I have to be fair to say that sunnyouyang shared the 4th place with the same 1745.

My own result is similar to the last year - 36th place with 1640. But the company that share this place with me is quite respectable so that I don't complain: 4everchan, Poice, xibsuarz

Anyway, it was fun and we all hopefully play next year. May be guessing the gold in ladies will not be such a no-brainer as this season, who knows.

I will push again with the idea of team competition. There's a lot of tension not only in the world but at GS as well. Hence, making pure national teams might not be the best idea. On the other hand, if GS buddies either from one of from different countries team up and develop joint strategies - it might add extra fun.

LOL :) only way I would ever get mentioned in this game :) but thank you, 36th place does indeed include some illustrious GS users :) let's stand proudly on that podium step ;)

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Still can't believe I'm the overall winner, so bizarre (I guess being a V/M fan paid off). Congrats to all the medalists and everyone else who played!

A team event would be interesting - how would that work? Would everyone on the team have to pick the same placements? If we did this, I would want it to be randomized in terms of who is picked to be on a team.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker

first of all - big congratulations for apgold (now, that's the fitting nickname!) for winning the game and equally big congratulations to daylightescapades for getting the silver!:cheer2::hb:

I am in a big shock about my humble bronze overall medal - never saw that coming, especially that I reconed that I am in top 5 scorers after...Paris GP (which was hilarious). I was a bit annoyed by myself and my predictions in GPF round, because actually my 2nd change in Pairs and Ice Dance would get me around 50 pts more (including bonus for ID podium), but scores in the game is not that important when we have strong competition and some excitement in results.

Also - big congrats to sabinefire who I already put on overall podium, still one of the best in Ladies predictions which are the hardest, most complicated thing for me!

And finally - BIG, BIG thanks for all organizers, scorers, records-keepers who enabled all us participating to have so much fun and excitement playing:thank: and a big cheer for all who played in GP prediction game this season:cheer:, see you all in next prediction games threads!

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
LOL congrats NNF ;)

sounds like you prepared your winning speech very well!!!! next step : the oscars!!! :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
LOL congrats NNF ;)

sounds like you prepared your winning speech very well!!!! next step : the oscars!!! :)

lol, I would not get that far ahead, but...I wish I'd someday attend in such fancy event, let alone have my speech there!:laugh:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
A team event would be interesting - how would that work? Would everyone on the team have to pick the same placements? If we did this, I would want it to be randomized in terms of who is picked to be on a team.

I would imagine that a team will consist of 3 or 4 players. The bets must not be the same. Moreover, as the game progresses some team tactics can be implemented. Like a winning team could try to exactly match the prediction of the second team so that the difference between them won't change. Well, other teams can get ahead in such a case. The scorers' life won't become more difficult - scoring will be still done individually. All the teams will be identified in a special spreadsheet right before the game starts and their scores will be calculated automatically. Someone will just have to announce them.

Nathan13

Medalist
And, yeah, it was Nathan13.

But, I was right in the end! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

And I'm still bitter about C/B's showing :sad21:
However, I, and I'm sure Madi and Evan, would agree that 6th was where they deserved to place for this competition, as painful as it is. A fall in the SD is sort of unforgivable.

Kudos to CaroLiza_fan... however I hope that they place no lower the rest of the season...

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
And I'm still bitter about C/B's showing :sad21:
However, I, and I'm sure Madi and Evan, would agree that 6th was where they deserved to place for this competition, as painful as it is. A fall in the SD is sort of unforgivable.

Kudos to CaroLiza_fan... however I hope that they place no lower the rest of the season...

Agreed. But, as I said at the time, putting them at the bottom was only a result of it being a very small but very quality field. They will definitely not finish last again this season. And even if they finish 6th again, it will not be as bad as there will be many more below them than there are ahead of them.

The best thing for Madi and Evan is to just take it on the chin and move on.

CaroLiza_fan

Nathan13

Medalist
I would imagine that a team will consist of 3 or 4 players. The bets must not be the same. Moreover, as the game progresses some team tactics can be implemented. Like a winning team could try to exactly match the prediction of the second team so that the difference between them won't change. Well, other teams can get ahead in such a case. The scorers' life won't become more difficult - scoring will be still done individually. All the teams will be identified in a special spreadsheet right before the game starts and their scores will be calculated automatically. Someone will just have to announce them.

I like the idea of a team event. It could be interesting and fun.

I also think it would be fun to organize a Challenger Series predictions game, although I fear the participation may be low. I think CS is fun to watch because it gives us a chance to see the skaters that aren't always at the GP series or ISU champs.