State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season | Page 4 | Golden Skate

State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season

LRK

Record Breaker
Michelle Kwan? Yuna Kim?

hanca said - emphasis mine - "I don't know any ladies skater who at this moment can tick all the boxes." Unless Michelle or Yuna are doing comebacks, this wouldn't apply to them.

treeloving

Medalist
I still don't know who could beat the Russian to prevent sweep at world. May be clean gold due to her PCS, but she is not consistent.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I still don't know who could beat the Russian to prevent sweep at world. May be clean gold due to her PCS, but she is not consistent.

Worlds is a looooooong way's away. It's hard to say what could happen at that point. Lipnitskaia, for example, showed good form at the beginning of last season, and then had major errors in the Olympics/Worlds (although Worlds she was lucky that Sotnikova/Kim weren't there and Kostner totally bombed her FS).

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So...Adelina pulled out of CoR. Wowzers!!! That frees up a GPF spot does it not?

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
Wow, I have to admit I AM surprised by this. Things just got more... and also less... interesting.

Agreed. Not sure I thought she actually do the GP, but it will certainly add to the pressure on her at nationals. Now I'm wondering if she just might take the whole year off. It might be a good idea to heal completely and start fresh next season, or she will be trying to dig herself out of a huge hole. Hmmm....Let's see if she does NHK.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
They say she may still show up in Japan but I don't know. Leonova gets a small chance now but I think there will be 4 Russian skaters at GPF.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
I think Russian fed gave her time to recover and last week they tested her skating, even though she won that event with PCS and probably a little help from GOE, they didn't want to take the risk for her to show up badly at COR. The thing is, Sotnikova was never a consistent skater, especially during GP series. Hope she will recover and gain her form back until Russian Nationals.

Alba

Record Breaker
On Thursday, during a training athlete received minor damage feet, and after today's medical examination she was advised to refrain from participating in the upcoming competitions.

The following week, the athlete will take a deeper medical examination, after which it will be decided whether it will participate in its next stage of the Grand Prix in Japan.
http://fsrussia.ru/news/436-adelina-sotnikova-ne-primet-uchastie-v-kubke-rostelekom.html

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...nikova-uber-thread.91288/page-12#post-4370567

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Minor injuries can turn into major ones if you don't take time to let them heal (had to learn that the hard way). I hope she's able to rest and do whatever else she needs to get well!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If Hanyu and/or Lipnitskaya win the Cup of China after the free skate Saturday, it will mark the first time in Grand Prix series history (since 1995) that one nation swept the first three events with three different singles champions, on either the men’s or women’s side. ...

The only times one nation swept the first three Grand Prix events on either the men’s or women’s side were 1998 and 1999. Russian men won every event those seasons, but the first three were not split among three different men.

One nation has never swept the first three events in women’s history, regardless of number of different skaters.

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/20...ia-cup-of-china-short-program-figure-skating/ (Nov 7)

anyanka

Record Breaker
With Adelina now out of COR, and with NHK in question (although she's still slated to compete), let's consider who else Adel's now got to take on nationally before she even makes it to Euros or Worlds:

• Yulia Lipnitskaya - she wants that world title, NOW
  • Elena Radionova - the upstart who's also been remarkably consistent
  • Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - the former prodigy in the midst of a brilliant return to form
  • Anna Pogorilaya - won her first event, was a surprisingly high top 5 at worlds, and poised to win COR in Adel's absence
  • Alena Leonova - former world junior champ, less of a threat, but still competing and performing at least respectably
  • Serafima Sakhanovich - already a major scorer and just behind Elena at this year's jr. worlds

She's got to watch out, since Evgenia Medvedeva is coming up through the junior ranks and will be age-eligible for all senior events next year. Mind you, she's got to focus on recovering. Adel's not in the best shape right now from the clips in regional competitions and test skates.

Russian nationals will be the most exciting in years to watch, although last year's ladies event was pretty phenomenal when Yulia and Adel went head-to-head, Liza had a meltdown, and Elena proved she can skate lights-out like the big guns.

Edit: adding Serafima Sakhanovich to this list too.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Don't forget Sima who already posted a 191 :eek:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They say she may still show up in Japan but I don't know. Leonova gets a small chance now but I think there will be 4 Russian skaters at GPF.

Leonova has no chance of making it to the GPF. She was 6th at Skate Canada.

Radionova/Pogorilaya needs only 6th or better to beat Leonova. Same for Lipnitskaia if she wins Cup of China.
Tukt/Wagner need only 5th or better to beat Leonova. (If Lip comes 2nd at CoC, she'll need 5th or better at TEB)

So that means it's fairly likely that Rad/Pogo/Tukt/Wag/Lip will all beat Leonova, even if Leonova wins NHK. If either Gold or Miyahara are 5th or better at NHK, Leonova is out.