State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season | Page 5 | Golden Skate

State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
Things got more complicated after Yulia's free skate at COC. Will we see a totally different Russian senior ladies team this season?

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Things got more complicated after Yulia's free skate at COC. Will we see a totally different Russian senior ladies team this season?

Seeing she somehow finished second i wouldn't make an issue of it just yet,

She also posted the highest SP score this season here.

adelia

Record Breaker
I think if Yulia and Liza both medal at Russian Nationals, they will both go to Worlds. The third spot will go to Anna or Elena.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The latest news is that the decision on Sotnikova's participation in the nationals will be made after the thorough medical examination. Now chances are that she misses the whole season. Then it's only 4 ladies left for 3 spots. It is even more interesting to see Pogo next Saturday - if she perfoms better than in Canada the next major if will be Lipnitskaia vs. Radionova in France. It's not boring at all to see the drama unfolding.

adelia

Record Breaker
The latest news is that the decision on Sotnikova's participation in the nationals will be made after the thorough medical examination. Now chances are that she misses the whole season. Then it's only 4 ladies left for 3 spots. It is even more interesting to see Pogo next Saturday - if she perfoms better than in Canada the next major if will be Lipnitskaia vs. Radionova in France. It's not boring at all to see the drama unfolding.
Yes, very interesting indeed.

Totentanz

Ursula Gumennik
Medalist
All of them are really talented, I wish each will have their own time to shine in future.

Ophelia

Record Breaker

I feel like the Fed is just delaying the announcement that she will be out this season.

NaVi

Medalist
Does Yulia have to win TE in order to qualify for GPF?

She would almost certainly get in with a 2nd place because that would likely mean she's ahead of Wagner... a 3rd place would likely get her into the final if the top 3 all finish above 190.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does Yulia have to win TE in order to qualify for GPF?

Not necessarily. She probably could get in with two silvers if Elena wins TEB, for instance. Anna P will likely win COR and punch her ticket.

Other possibilities:
Ashley Wagner -TEB (silver at Skate Canada)
Satoko Miyagara- NHK (bronze at Skate Canada)
Gracie Gold - NHK (bronze at Skate America)
Kanako Murakami - NHK (bronze at Cup of China)
Samantha Cesario - TEB (4th at Skate America)
Courtney Hicks - TEB (4th at Skate Canada)
Polina Edmunds - NHK (4th at Cup of China)

If Ashley finishes 3rd at TEB, the field at NHK is such that only the winner would beat Ashley. Any of the bronze medalist finish with silver would be in a tiebreaker situation with Ashley (i.e how many points). And if Adelina ends up there she can still play spoiler on who gets in with her placement. So if she finishes 1st for example, and one of the bronze medalists from the other events gets silver, then they are in a tie breaker situation with whoever finishes 3rd at TEB, but both would be in. If she wins silver, then only the winner could get in.

If Julia places 3rd at TEB, the same principle with Ashley applies.

Actually if Yulia And Ashley--1/2 they could both be in since their placements would beat all but the winner at NHK.

I think in the end we are looking at Anna P, Liza, Elena (2nd or 3rd at TEB would be fine), The first and second place TEB winners (if not Elena)/Second place only (if Elena wins TEB), whoever wins NHK. There might be one more spot depending on the TEB placements and how Adelina does.

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Unless something unexpected happens I am sure Yulia will make it to GPF. Then we have also a certain Liza and almost certain Anna and Elena. All of them have the best scores over 190. The question is who and when will break 200. Today in K&C Mishin told Liza: "4 more points are left". It means that they do have this goal. And it is quite near. Nice triple lutz instead of double - she could have had it already today. Then Elena. She had 136 in Japan for FS. I am sure she can make 200 already in France especially with Yulia competing. Then for Anna the task is somewhat more difficult: better spins and landings and some seasonal pcs boost. May be she will be the first among the three as she will perform next week in Moscow. But I am not sure she will make it.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I noticed that in Liza's LP the 3T-3T is just a few seconds before the bonus. Is she meaning to do it in the bonus? It seems like she is giving up a few points by not doing that combo a couple of seconds later.

creaturelover

On the Ice
I'm certain Julia will learn from this performance. She's a tough competitor and puts a lot of pressure on herself.

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I noticed that in Liza's LP the 3T-3T is just a few seconds before the bonus. Is she meaning to do it in the bonus? It seems like she is giving up a few points by not doing that combo a couple of seconds later.

I've been wondering about that too, she could switch it with her 3Lo right after so her 3T-3T can get the bonus

starlight97

Final Flight
In the beginning everything went exactly how people expected it to go, with the strong Russian girls winning their GPs.
But what's going on now, Sotnikova maybe sitting out the entire season and Yulia suddenly looking so vulnerable, I really didn't see these two coming.

I really hope Adelina will at least go to nationals and that Yulia just had an off day...
It's also rather interesting how strong Liza seems to be this season! We all know she's capable of the 3Lz-3T and I think if she'll put it in again at some point, at best in time for Nationals (because let's face it, Russian nationals will be the hardest competition in skating for some time now...), and Sotnikova possibly being out, she might make the World Team

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Hmm, I always figured her 3T-3T was in the bonus, since she has no other reason to leave it so late. I guess she didn't quite hit it at the right time. I hope she and Mishin are reviewing the protocols.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Before the Russian nationals the biggest intrigue will be in France where to compete are the two primary contenders for the World gold this season: Lipnitskaya and Radionova. Just 2 days ago I was certain of the result. Now have no clue what will happen

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
May be but only if she beefs up the tech and remains consistent. The nationals will be the test. I think there is a trade-off which was clear in America. When she pushes herself she has to downgrade triples. And I think her primary task so far was to be clean (where she is remarkably successful as of now).Of course with a clean 7 triple FS she will be a contender even with her 3T-3T in SP.