State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

State of U.S. Ladies' skating 2016-17

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I like both Polinas.

Polina E really missed an opportunity, like many of you said here, to move up from that #3 spot. It's just very puzzling that she and her team seem to understand that maturity is important - the SP was gorgeous and when skated clean showed great development and maturity - but appeared to say I don't care I'll look like a junior for the long and do cutesy.

From the past season Polina also probably had a buffer. It seemed like Mirai would not be able to catch up. That buffer is now gone, and it isn't just Mirai. The other Americans are thirsty for a top 3 spot and if you don't lay it down and stake your claim then they will triple triple their way in.

I hope Polina gets better programs. Maybe Jeff Buttle and Akiko Suzuki. She should also really improve her speed because that can make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apons575

Rinkside
Ashley and Gracie will be fine. They'll be fighting to be in the mix for medals at Worlds and Olympics in the coming years, and they'll get better. They're in a better position than the Russians because of the "weaker" competitive field in the US, so it's not like they will have to keep fighting to just stay relevant (but that doesn't mean they can slack off at Nationals, thankfully Polina finally taught them that lesson this year). Ashley will just need to keep her "aging" body in good shape, but I think she will be just fine. The quad strain worried me a little, but then she skated decently at TCC, so that restores some faith that she knows how to handle it. Gracie...one of the best talents in the world (I truly believe the gold medal will come down between Gold and Medvedeva, realistically). She's just got to find that inner fighter IN COMPETITION. Plus, she needs to find some smaller competitions for next season to compete in. She needs to actually practice WINNING. I still think she has time to figure this out, after she takes a very well deserved rest. :bed:

For the other US ladies...:popcorn:

Polina- extremely consistent. She desperately needs a fresh set of eyes, and she needs to get over her stubborness. She pushes back at the fact that her style has still not matured yet. YES POLINA, you have a very balletic line, but you need the STRETCH. Not to be snarky, but I think once those braces come off, her components will go up a few points (as will Satoko). I don't know about this Nam/Polina thing going on in the rink....it's cute, but if they want to be a champion, that may be a distraction.
Courtney- too sloppy. Just way too sloppy. Simple as that. She is a hard worker, and such a sweet girl. Plus, her jumps are explosive. However...they're too explosive. She has no control of her landings. This summer, she needs to focus on this the most. The artistry can wait....give me a few clean performances, and the components will start to steadily rise.
Mirai- Glad to see Mirai is starting to get her head on straight with Tom Z. as her coach. This season was a great refresher for her, and I like to think she was given that spot at Worlds as a gift for all her hard work and consistency. She'll just need to keep up the momentum, work on those pesky UR's, and try to keep working on that 3A. And give me a little more face. Ha!
Tyler Pierce- I hope this won't turn into a Karen Chen case next year. Her 3Lz-3T is looking GOOD! Hopefully she'll get some GP assignments and start laying out some groundwork for her career. Out of all the younger US women, right now, she seems to be improving the most. Just give me some good clean programs at the START of the season next year. The beginning of the season is always a hint to what the end of the year will look like.
Karen Chen- fix the boots, c'mon! The growing years are upon this girl.:eek: People say she didn't do so well on the GP, but I actually thought two 5th places finishes wasn't something to shake a finger at for a first year senior. Like Courtney, Karen needs to work on the consistency.
Hannah Miller- getting better!!! Rafael is truly a magician. I think she's starting to get the hang of things, she'll just need to work on the UR's/2 foots. I don't think she's someone who falls a lot while in competition (a few pops though). Hannah also seems to have a good head on her shoulders, understands what she needs to work on. I like her style, hopefully we'll see an upward trajectory.
Mariah Bell- This girl will need to dump the sweet persona if she intends to fight for medals. She has a georgeous, natural style and a perfect figure for an ice skater. Simply put, she needs a consistent 3-3. I seem promise with her, I think she just needs to discover her own standing in the field, what works best for her. She's got a good team behind her, I have faith she'll come back.
Lastly...Vivian Le- Not a huge endorsement for this girl YET, but I like that she's got a pretty consistent 3-3 in her arsenal already. She actually needs to focus more on her other "simpler" jumps (the Loop especially). If she builds up her consistency this coming year, she certainly could become a star. These years in the junior ranks are so crucial to breaking through the mold later on.

I do believe that the Ladies fields in the US is quite strong. Definitely not as strong as Russia or even Japan, but Rafael Arutunian has a point that in the US, it's the SKATER who makes themselves rise to the top, not the coaches or the federation.

One last point about Gracie Gold, this girl says she hopes to retire after 2018. I know skating is hard to keep wanting to train for, but Gracie shouldn't put that on her shoulders. Take note from Carolina Kostner, Mao Asada, and even Ashley....skaters are staying in the game longer. Even if Gracie wins in 2018, I still would like her to push until 2022. She can do it.

Last edited:

mrrice

Record Breaker
I'm surprised not to see more predictions for Mariah Bell. She is an absolutely beautiful skater and I think her unfortunate free program was an exception rather than the rule of her skating. She has a great team with Kori and Rohene. Not to mention that she trains with the very inspirational, Jason Brown.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I think Polina is going to surprise us all next season. I'm (still) not a big fan, but the girl is a fighter, she has the goods, and she's PISSED. She won't give up.

I think her short program was beautiful and maybe she should keep it for another year. I do agree though that she is pissed. She was mad that she didn't win Nationals! I can't remember her exact comments, but she made a remark about how there are two parts to the competition, implying that they just gave Gracie the National title based on her long program.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Yeah, that's the comment I was referring to...something to the effect of judging only based on the FS. But it was pretty hard to deny Gold the win after that skate. She really is just THAT much better when she is on. :shrug:

If Gold had her Boston skate, or perhaps even her TCC skate in St. Paul, Edmunds would be US champ.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Mariah Bell- This girl will need to dump the sweet persona if she intends to fight for medals. She has a georgeous, natural style and a perfect figure for an ice skater. Simply put, she needs a consistent 3-3. I seem promise with her, I think she just needs to discover her own standing in the field, what works best for her. She's got a good team behind her, I have faith she'll come back.

Or at least a consistent 2Lo combo. If she could go for a Triple Triple combo, a 1/2 Sal sequence and a 2Lo combo, she would not have to worry as much about Zayaking and such. If the 3T in the combo is doubled... so what no more toes. If the 3S is doubled...so what not issue. If her 3Lo is doubled still not an issue as she can do 2 double loops. This might be a better plan for her.

apons575

Rinkside
Or at least a consistent 2Lo combo. If she could go for a Triple Triple combo, a 1/2 Sal sequence and a 2Lo combo, she would not have to worry as much about Zayaking and such. If the 3T in the combo is doubled... so what no more toes. If the 3S is doubled...so what not issue. If her 3Lo is doubled still not an issue as she can do 2 double loops. This might be a better plan for her.

Nice strategy, and more importantly....I wish more skaters would start adding 2/3Lo's as the second jump of the combinations! If they can't do a 3A, might as well stretch themselves technically by other means. Gracie could definitely benefit from this...oh gosh a 3S-3Lo(or T if it gets too difficult, lol) should definitely be something she can strive for, because I don't really see Gracie pulling off a 3A or 4S (however I'd love to see her prove me wrong).

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Nice strategy, and more importantly....I wish more skaters would start adding 2/3Lo's as the second jump of the combinations! If they can't do a 3A, might as well stretch themselves technically by other means. Gracie could definitely benefit from this...oh gosh a 3S-3Lo(or T if it gets too difficult, lol) should definitely be something she can strive for, because I don't really see Gracie pulling off a 3A or 4S (however I'd love to see her prove me wrong).

Everyone says that getting the 3Lo ratified as the second jump is really hard, but some seem to be able to for the double. I can understand not wanting to risk it for the 3Lo - at this point skaters are fighting a perception that it won't be ratified, so unless it is really good, it is not worth it. Plus solo 3Lo still look great in programs on their own. But the 2Lo I would like to see more of. It looks nice, it ekes out a little bit more points, and it gives more Zayak cushion. Maybe some skaters are skittish about getting the 2Lo ratified on the tail end, but it seems doable. So many skaters do a 2T combo that they could replace with a 2Lo for a little boost and some variety... id really like to see more of them. But I do think for Mariah something like this is extra important. She clearly is a thinker... she needs a program where she can keep thinking "this is not a problem"

KatGrace1925

Medalist

Gracie has been training the 3A, but it is unlikely we will ever see it in competition. Her Rippon 3lutz is beautiful in training videos but she has never done it in competition.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Gracie has been training the 3A, but it is unlikely we will ever see it in competition. Her Rippon 3lutz is beautiful in training videos but she has never done it in competition.

She used to do a Rippon 3lutz in her earlier competitions(the 2012-2013 season) when the 3lutz was the solo jump in her short program.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I'm hoping the skating gods will allow Ashley to keep the momentum going for 2017 with another world medal and an Olympic medal for 2018! Please, please, please!

I also reallllly want Mirai on the 2018 team. Oh, sorry, this thread is supposed to be about 2016-17. ;)

I love Courtney, but damn, that girl needs to crack the nationals podium next season.

I do like Gracie and Polina, but their programs have left me cold for the last few seasons.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I keep hoping that someone other than myself will say they have faith in Angela Wang. I just loved her as a Junior and I simply can't write her off.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I keep hoping that someone other than myself will say they have faith in Angela Wang. I just loved her as a Junior and I simply can't write her off.

She was really showing promise and momentum early this season, but she kinda got derailed in part due to TEB. I think she could have pulled up in the long but she did not get the chance and got a bit forgotten in the shuffle. She is one I still keep and eye on.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi everyone 1st post here! I was lucky enough to attend Boston Worlds and let me say I was an Ashley fan before but watching her two performances just absolutely blew me away! She has such a presence and charm on ice that no US Lady can match imo. Gracie was decent but so flat-her short program score was a bit of a shock but then again she's always been favored more then Ashley has. Hopefully Ashley can use this momentum to bring exciting strong programs to 2016/17 season! She's doing two new ones right?

^^^ Your entire post, times a thousand!

Ashley's presence and charm absolutely do elevate her and make her go soaring above and beyond. This is sport, so the technique has to be there, and it has to be solid. This is what has held her back in the past. My hope for her is that she can build on her fabulous performances at Worlds, and use them to reinforce her belief that she can put two great programs together at a competition. I find it very encouraging that she said in the Worlds presser that she's always been a performer first and always will be; and that she needs and plans to continue to improve her technique. Figure skating is a performance art.

Last summer, Ashley had to skate in a lot of shows to earn money to get her through the next season. (She's financially independent from her parents and has been since she was 18.) Because of her schedule with all the shows, there was only time to create and develop a new SP. And anyway, she believed ... rightly, as it turned out ... that she had more to give to the Moulin Rouge program. That program held great meaning for her. A positive note on the finance side: Ashley just won $15,000 at the TCC, and I don't know what the prize money is for Worlds. But whatever it is, it's income she hasn't had in the past but, this year, does. So I think that bodes well for two new programs for next season. They don't come cheap, when you pay a genius choreographer, coaches, coaches' travel expenses, and costumes!

karlowens2

On the Ice

I like her skating also. Classy. Reminds me of Christina Gao, another skater I think should have gone further.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I like her skating also. Classy. Reminds me of Christina Gao, another skater I think should have gone further.

I have said those exact words and have compared her to Christina on more than one occasion. Wow!. That's kind of freaky.

Last edited:

karlowens2

On the Ice
^^^ Your entire post, times a thousand!

Ashley's presence and charm absolutely do elevate her and make her go soaring above and beyond. This is sport, so the technique has to be there, and it has to be solid. This is what has held her back in the past. My hope for her is that she can build on her fabulous performances at Worlds, and use them to reinforce her belief that she can put two great programs together at a competition. I find it very encouraging that she said in the Worlds presser that she's always been a performer first and always will be; and that she needs and plans to continue to improve her technique. Figure skating is a performance art.

Last summer, Ashley had to skate in a lot of shows to earn money to get her through the next season. (She's financially independent from her parents and has been since she was 18.) Because of her schedule with all the shows, there was only time to create and develop a new SP. And anyway, she believed ... rightly, as it turned out ... that she had more to give to the Moulin Rouge program. That program held great meaning for her. A positive note on the finance side: Ashley just won $15,000 at the TCC, and I don't know what the prize money is for Worlds. But whatever it is, it's income she hasn't had in the past but, this year, does. So I think that bodes well for two new programs for next season. They don't come cheap, when you pay a genius choreographer, coaches, coaches' travel expenses, and costumes!

People need to stop saying Ashley's technique is a problem. Her technique is gorgeous. When she jumps there is so much power and beauty. It is just better to watch than bent legs/big knees, unpointed toes, jacknife landings, etc. that get positive GOEs.

Raf has got her going. Her 3Lo-lo-3S was the highest scoring element at worlds - higher than anything Med did. Like to see her next year with 3L-3Lo.

She's done it one year. Can she keep up the discipline for another 2 years? It'll be a challenge

lyndichee

Medalist
People need to stop saying Ashley's technique is a problem. Her technique is gorgeous. When she jumps there is so much power and beauty. It is just better to watch than bent legs/big knees, unpointed toes, jacknife landings, etc. that get positive GOEs.

I am 100% in Ashley's boat but let's not pretend she doesn't have problems with her jumps. Her jumps are not the biggest and she still has a flutz problem. She has made a lot of progress with ! instead of edge call but she still uses a pseudo-loop looking entry to try and hold an edge.