Who's Going to Worlds? | Page 28 | Golden Skate

Who's Going to Worlds?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I have recently purchased a ticket for the Ladies free program in Boston.This will be my first time attending the live figure skating events. Can anybody give some practical advice for the first-time attendee?
How long on average does the entire ladies free program event last? Also, are you allowed to go to your seat once the program has already started? How cold is it in the arena? What should I wear? Any other practical advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The ladies' FS will probably be three-four hours - remember, they have a cut at Championship events, so there won't be any more than 24 ladies in the FS. Arenas vary on how cold they are - some are freezing, some aren't that cold at all. I would say dress for the coldest, with options if it turns out to be not that cold. Tights or pantyhose under pants work a charm. Definitely bring gloves - even when clapping a lot your hands can still get really frozen.

It is rude for you to attempt to go to your seat while someone is skating. I know others have different feelings on this, but personally, I consider it rude to only bother showing up for the "good skaters" at in the last groups. The skaters from the smaller countries skating earlier have worked just as hard and often have overcome many obstacles just to be there - they deserve to have a crowd to watch them skate too. I am well aware that some consider my feelings on this matter unreasonable and that said feelings are skewed by being from a small skating country myself.

winky97

Medalist
The ladies' FS will probably be three-four hours - remember, they have a cut at Championship events, so there won't be any more than 24 ladies in the FS. Arenas vary on how cold they are - some are freezing, some aren't that cold at all. I would say dress for the coldest, with options if it turns out to be not that cold. Tights or pantyhose under pants work a charm. Definitely bring gloves - even when clapping a lot your hands can still get really frozen.

It is rude for you to attempt to go to your seat while someone is skating. I know others have different feelings on this, but personally, I consider it rude to only bother showing up for the "good skaters" at in the last groups. The skaters from the smaller countries skating earlier have worked just as hard and often have overcome many obstacles just to be there - they deserve to have a crowd to watch them skate too. I am well aware that some consider my feelings on this matter unreasonable and that said feelings are skewed by being from a small skating country myself.

Karne are you going to show us your skills on the ice rink at Boston Common?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Karne are you going to show us your skills on the ice rink at Boston Common?

Ha! Maybe! We should have a GS group skate! Is it far from TD Garden? EDIT: Oh sweet, it's about 10 minutes walk from my hotel!

Maybe I'll even have a Lutz by then :rofl:

Last edited:

Vickys21

Rinkside
The event is scheduled for close to four hours, but this factors in time for ice resurfacing and may include the medals ceremony too. There will be a schedule that will let you know when specific skaters are taking the ice. A lot of people time their arrival to see the last couple of groups of skaters since these will be the top ones. That's a personal preference. I kinda like to see some of the up and coming lower ranked skaters, but this is a lot of time sitting in the rink. You can go to your seat once the program program has started. In terms of the climate inside the rink, I usually have a sweat shirt on and I have light jacket with me just in case

Anyway hope this helped. A lot of people on here are going to Worlds, myself included. So if you are looking for friends you will likely be able to find some![/QUOTE

Thank you winky97!

R.D.

Record Breaker
Questions as I look into this possibility...I've only been to shows, so if I am successful in setting this up, this would be my 1st competition

- Apparently the all-event tickets allow you to get into official practices as well. Can someone who has been to a competition before and attended a practice describe this experience? Is it worth it?

- How long are events like the short program or the exhibition gala? (I know the FS is about 4 hours from past scheduling)

- Can you arrive in the middle of an event? Say, I only wanted to watch the 2nd half of the ladies' FS, or catch the top groups in the SP. Could I do this or would I need to sit through the whole thing? (I ask because I know from experience some arenas have policies where they may not let you in past a certain time, etc.)

- Are there "secondary events" that happen alongside the main one? For example, I know USFS tends to set up skate camps, autograph sessions, etc. on the side during Nationals...are they planning on doing this here too?

- Does one tend to "run into" skaters? How easy is it to catch someone? (As opposed to a show where there is a dedicated M&G)

Thanks, any answers will prove to be quite helpful...

Vickys21

Rinkside
Thank you for everyone's help! Very useful. Sorry, one more thing, if you can: do they have anything to eat there? If so, what? Thanks again.

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
- Apparently the all-event tickets allow you to get into official practices as well. Can someone who has been to a competition before and attended a practice describe this experience? Is it worth it?

If it's your first competition, I would say practice is definitely worth attending. The atmosphere is much more laid back and the arena generally wide open. You can sit wherever you want or constantly move around freely. It's usually easy to sit at ice level.

- How long are events like the short program or the exhibition gala? (I know the FS is about 4 hours from past scheduling)

The Ladies SP is currently scheduled from 12:15 PM to 5:53 PM. Around 5 and a half hours. The gala is scheduled from 2:00 PM to 4:15 PM.

- Can you arrive in the middle of an event? Say, I only wanted to watch the 2nd half of the ladies' FS, or catch the top groups in the SP. Could I do this or would I need to sit through the whole thing? (I ask because I know from experience some arenas have policies where they may not let you in past a certain time, etc.)

You can arrive at any point. A lot of people choose to arrive only for the final group(s) during events.

- Are there "secondary events" that happen alongside the main one? For example, I know USFS tends to set up skate camps, autograph sessions, etc. on the side during Nationals...are they planning on doing this here too?

Yes, I'm sure there will be more details on those as the event nears. Skate America didn't release details for their other events until the final weeks this season.

- Does one tend to "run into" skaters? How easy is it to catch someone? (As opposed to a show where there is a dedicated M&G)

Well, that depends on the size of the event and whether you are putting yourself in a position that would increase your odds (i.e. staying at the official hotel with the skaters).

If you're going to spend basically the whole week attending Worlds, you're bound to run into someone sooner or later. Practice sessions aren't as well attended as the competitions, that's a big part of why I like them. By the time the bigger events begin, you can barely make your way through the concourse most of the time.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks Sabinfire for your help.

I would definitely not be able to attend the entire week...the earliest I could come in is Thursday morning. That's when most of the big events begin anyway.

Interesting point about practice sessions...sounds like a much quieter environment, a low-hassle way to watch skating without dealing with the large crowds. Quite a price premium though...

Yeah, 5.5 hours is kinda long :eek: I think I'd try to time it so I would catch the 2nd half when the contenders will be skating...OTOH, for the FS I might consider attending the whole event.

I don't think the official skater hotel has been announced yet, has it? Anyway, I'm sure that hotel would cost an arm and a leg to stay at, so I'd definitely be more open to other options there.

winky97

Medalist
Thanks Sabinfire for your help.

I would definitely not be able to attend the entire week...the earliest I could come in is Thursday morning. That's when most of the big events begin anyway.

Interesting point about practice sessions...sounds like a much quieter environment, a low-hassle way to watch skating without dealing with the large crowds. Quite a price premium though...

Yeah, 5.5 hours is kinda long :eek: I think I'd try to time it so I would catch the 2nd half when the contenders will be skating...OTOH, for the FS I might consider attending the whole event.

I don't think the official skater hotel has been announced yet, has it? Anyway, I'm sure that hotel would cost an arm and a leg to stay at, so I'd definitely be more open to other options there.

The skaters are a Marriott Copley and not more rooms at the group rate of $205. The Colonnade which is next door and also was apart of the World hotel it's may have some availability and will set u up from some skater watching since it is right next door you change hang out in the lobby. Also the Westin is right there, but the are sold out of the group rate

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks. I'll figure it all out eventually if need be, but first, step one for me is to actually try to obtain a (decent) ticket....two months and no luck :noshake:

Liz1201

Rinkside
Thank you for everyone's help! Very useful. Sorry, one more thing, if you can: do they have anything to eat there? If so, what? Thanks again.

Ah the million dollar question. You could check out the TD garden website to see what stands they have but its difficult to say how many arena concession stands will be open. Since ticket sales are doing great, hopefully most of them will be open. Maybe some of the folks who went to nationals a few years back can chime in with what they remember. I usually try to smuggle in some light snacks like a granola bar or Apple if I can, but that's primarily because I'm counting calories and can't eat a lot of arena food.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ah the million dollar question. You could check out the TD garden website to see what stands they have but its difficult to say how many arena concession stands will be open. Since ticket sales are doing great, hopefully most of them will be open. Maybe some of the folks who went to nationals a few years back can chime in with what they remember. I usually try to smuggle in some light snacks like a granola bar or Apple if I can, but that's primarily because I'm counting calories and can't eat a lot of arena food.

My go-to place was the food court in the train station (North Station) below the arena. There's Dunkin Donuts, McDonald's, a pizza place, a sandwich and smoothie shop -- lots of choices and at non-arena prices.

Liz1201

Rinkside
Thanks. I'll figure it all out eventually if need be, but first, step one for me is to actually try to obtain a (decent) ticket....two months and no luck :noshake:

Best of luck finding a good ticket! Tammi (and Andrew at the LOC) are super helpful.

Practices are probably one of the best things about attending competitions live (along with watching warm up groups - especially the men with all their crazy and awesome jumps). Since you really only see the skaters for an average of 6-8 minutes during their performances, it's nice to be able to see them practice. I've definitely developed new favorite skaters after only seeing them practice.

winky97

Medalist

Check Ticketmaster throughout the week because Tammi said some more tickets will be released this week.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

To me watching official practice is very worth it, but I like seeing the skaters on their more "human" level, where they're clearly working out kinks or having problems on jumps just like the rest of us mere mortals :p

The short programs will be longer than the free skates because they do a cut after the short program. Last year the ladies' SP was seven hours long. I think the schedule is up on the website.

:scowl:

You can. I consider it impolite and disrespectful to those skaters of the little countries who are in the first half of the draw. I am aware that there are not many who agree with me.

It would surprise me if they didn't.

I think it could happen. Very important to remember, though, that they are there to compete and need to focus.

I think there is lots of food.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for your detailed response. And yes, I am aware that a competition is a very different atmosphere from a show...was just wondering since I see many fans able to get pics with their favorites, etc.

I'm hoping to make a decision one way or the other and finalize details in the next week or two...it's now February, can't wait much longer

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I hope you get to go R.D. I particularly hope you get decent seats for the ladies! :)

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Questions as I look into this possibility...I've only been to shows, so if I am successful in setting this up, this would be my 1st competition

Thanks, any answers will prove to be quite helpful...

1. Most posters on here will tell you practices are the best. For me it's kind of mildly interesting

2. If you arrive during an event and a skater is on the ice STAND IN THE BACK (yes I am shouting) It's beyond rude to wander down to your aisle, expect everyone to get up so you can get your seat etc. You are disrputing the event for hundreds because you can't wait 4 minutes? (One of my pet peeves LOL!)

3. Some skaters are incredibly nice and some are divas. Generally they are all nicer after a competition and I would never try to bother one on the way to their event. That said I once watched a certain Russian Ice Dancer, (who shall remain nameless) treat some little kids like dirt becaus she was a princess (who by the way did not medal at the event LOL!)