World's 2018 - Practice reports | Golden Skate

World's 2018 - Practice reports

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men's started so early. I didn't get there until the group that had Keiji and Shoma -- probably about 7:55 am. Lots of no-shows today. Some groups of 6 didn't have one guy there. Keiji and Shoma had already done their run throughs when I got there. Watched Shoma work on 4Ts and 4F. No Dmitri or Mikhail or Majorov..I really enjoyed Javier Raya and Matteo Rizzo. Interesting that Matteo's music was announced as running 2:51 minutes long. Shoma got a -1 for being over the time limit by 1 second. Hope the same doesn't happen to Matteo. No Deniss V. and hot coach today. Darn.

Watched some of the ice dance, but lots of no-shows there too. Again, some groups had no one at all. Weaver and Poje, and Hawayek and Baker pretty much did full run throughs and were looking good.

As far as temperature. When the men were there, I didn't even wear my coat. I was wearing a sweatshirt. Very comfortable. When the ice dance started, I don't know what was going on. It got REALLY cold! They had opened up some doors to the outside, and it was FREEZING! At least where I was.

A couple thoughts: I don't know if it was just me, but I thought the seats seemed rather uncomfortable. Could just be because of the day I had yesterday and sitting 23 hours, but the seats are kinda plastic-y, so they were cold too.

Bought a bottle of water for 2 Euros. Just a warning. They do one of my pet peeves. They KEEP the bottle cap! So bring your own if you want to be able to close your water. Security reasons. Really? Somehow I can't see the figure skating crowd throwing their water bottles as a weapon. That's the hockey games! Prices seemed more reasonable than I've usually seen. I've seen water for as much as $5 USD so was pleasantly surprised by the 2 Euros. Some of the sandwiches they were selling looked pretty tasty....No WiFi that I could see.

Also posted in another thread but will put it here too. I brought in a banana and a granola bar, and I'm 100% certain when they did the security check on my bag they saw it. So maybe they are being a little lenient on food. They also did a security wanding.

Rest rooms -- the ladies room by my seating area had 2 (count 'em!) stalls. That could be interesting when there are more people there!

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
wow, 2 stalls (?!). yeah, that line will get crazy long ...
2 Euros sounds pretty reasonable for water - guess I'm used to the super inflated US prices at events.

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Interesting that Matteo's music was announced as running 2:51 minutes long. Shoma got a -1 for being over the time limit by 1 second. Hope the same doesn't happen to Matteo.

As long as he isn't moving for longer than 2:50 mins, he's fine. That's how they get the time deduction not by the length of the music but for how long the skater is moving ;)

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
As long as he isn't moving for longer than 2:50 mins, he's fine. That's how they get the time deduction not by the length of the music but for how long the skater is moving ;)

Wow - that's cutting it a little too close for comfort! :laugh:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
wow, 2 stalls (?!). yeah, that line will get crazy long ...
2 Euros sounds pretty reasonable for water - guess I'm used to the super inflated US prices at events.

I don't know that I've ever seen water for less than $4!...Don't drink too much tho, sounds like the bathrooms will be in high demand! :laugh:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Men's started so early. I didn't get there until the group that had Keiji and Shoma -- probably about 7:55 am. Lots of no-shows today. Some groups of 6 didn't have one guy there. Keiji and Shoma had already done their run throughs when I got there. Watched Shoma work on 4Ts and 4F. No Dmitri or Mikhail or Majorov..I really enjoyed Javier Raya and Matteo Rizzo. Interesting that Matteo's music was announced as running 2:51 minutes long. Shoma got a -1 for being over the time limit by 1 second. Hope the same doesn't happen to Matteo. No Deniss V. and hot coach today. Darn.

Watched some of the ice dance, but lots of no-shows there too. Again, some groups had no one at all. Weaver and Poje, and Hawayek and Baker pretty much did full run throughs and were looking good.

As far as temperature. When the men were there, I didn't even wear my coat. I was wearing a sweatshirt. Very comfortable. When the ice dance started, I don't know what was going on. It got REALLY cold! They had opened up some doors to the outside, and it was FREEZING! At least where I was.

A couple thoughts: I don't know if it was just me, but I thought the seats seemed rather uncomfortable. Could just be because of the day I had yesterday and sitting 23 hours, but the seats are kinda plastic-y, so they were cold too.

Bought a bottle of water for 2 Euros. Just a warning. They do one of my pet peeves. They KEEP the bottle cap! So bring your own if you want to be able to close your water. Security reasons. Really? Somehow I can't see the figure skating crowd throwing their water bottles as a weapon. That's the hockey games! Prices seemed more reasonable than I've usually seen. I've seen water for as much as $5 USD so was pleasantly surprised by the 2 Euros. Some of the sandwiches they were selling looked pretty tasty....No WiFi that I could see.

Also posted in another thread but will put it here too. I brought in a banana and a granola bar, and I'm 100% certain when they did the security check on my bag they saw it. So maybe they are being a little lenient on food. They also did a security wanding.

Rest rooms -- the ladies room by my seating area had 2 (count 'em!) stalls. That could be interesting when there are more people there!

That reminds me of the 2013 VH1 Mixtape Festival I went to (To see Hanson). They kept the caps for the water bottles. Sure it's more of a danger during concerts than in figure skating competitions, but still, they need to know the inconvenience. Like someone could slip if a spillage happens.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That reminds me of the 2013 VH1 Mixtape Festival I went to (To see Hanson). They kept the caps for the water bottles. Sure it's more of a danger during concerts than in figure skating competitions, but still, they need to know the inconvenience. Like someone could slip if a spillage happens.

I like to drink it throughout the day. How do I do that with no cap. I understand the reasoning behind it, but -- oh well! In case anyone is interested, all I saw were Pepsi products, no Coke.

Caustica

Final Flight
I only went for the evening practices - last two groups of pairs, first three groups of ladies. It was FREEZING, oh my gosh. And there are definitely not enough toilet stalls. The whole arena seems pretty old and worn out to me, with a creaky metal bridge that you have to walk across to get to the station. When leaving the stadium the lift for the bridge stopped working, which meant that this poor Japanese lady on two crutches had to somehow make it up two floors of outdoor metal stairs. At least it wasn't raining any more, unlike the previous two days.

Some reports. J/C looked to be trying 4STh, but I didn't see any successes. M/H looked super steady and didn't put a foot wrong. Mirai kept practising 3A, but they all looked kinda UR. Bradie fell on 3Lz in SP runthrough. Gabby did FS runthrough, looked shaky - perhaps still confidence issues from the Olympics? Kaetlyn's jumps scare me - they're big but so wonky and inelegant - but was generally successful. I don't recall Mariah jumping much. Carolina didn't come to practice. Tursynbaeva had massive problems with all jumps apart from 3S and 3T. Alina and Maria didn't turn up; Wakaba came late and missed her music. Wakaba did mostly stroking around and practised her StSqs - no jumps. Satoko did full runthrough as always - jumps started off looking seriously borderline but got better as the practice went on. Kept doing 2A3T. Jumps were a bit shakier than they usually are for Satoko practises. Konstantinova was messy as expected, although this is the first time I've seen her in practice. She looks even more inelegant and awkward in real life than on camera. Anyway, maybe I'm totally biased after what RusFed did for her this season.

Looking forward to more practices for tomorrow, although I'm not sure how many I'll attend. Hope the arena will be less cold.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^I would say this arena has definitely seen better days. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's terrible, but it is a bit tired looking...It definitely got cold in there, even for me, the polar bear. I'm debating how to dress tomorrow, because a sweatshirt (along with my winter coat!) was not enough. Glad I had my gloves along too.

That being said, I think practices will be better attended tomorrow, both by spectators and skaters. We are in for quite a treat with so many good skaters. Looking forward to a LONG day! :yahoo:

Caustica

Final Flight
Lol, I actually bought one of their merch jackets on the spot because it was so cold - to add an extra layer to the many layers I was already wearing. It was quite pretty anyway :laugh:

Hm I would love to attend more practices tomorrow, but I'm travelling with people who probably wouldn't appreciate spending an entire day at a freezing rink :/ Not that the rest of Milan isn't freezing as well atm...

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Any Team Australia reports will be so welcome! Have fun you guys! :yahoo:

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^^Definitely am hoping to see Brendan and Kailani tomorrow and will try to write something.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen Kuchvalska? Hope she's in better shape than earlier this season. I was really surprised to see her name on the list of entries. Wishing her a good competition at Worlds.

fishing

Rinkside
Wondering whose stuff is missing....Meghan Duhamel tweeted this:
Extremely disappointed in @lufthansa who lost the luggage and skates of two pairs skaters competing at #WorldFigure in Milan tomorrow!!! This is unacceptable 😡🤬 #findthosebags #Lufthansa #terribleservice

merleice

Rinkside
Extremely disappointed in @lufthansa who lost the luggage and skates of two pairs skaters competing at #WorldFigure in Milan tomorrow!!! This is unacceptable 😡🤬 #findthosebags #Lufthansa #terribleservice

South Korean team Kim/Kam. seabm7 posted this in the South Korean skaters thread:

Lufthansa lost Kim/Kam's baggages between Frankfurt and Milano. Kim has only her boots. Edea will kindly deliver a new pair of boots to Kam. No clothes. The competition starts tomorrow. Kim/Kam might skate in black leotards. :(

https://twitter.com/Jungnamson/status/975941753680248832

All the best to Kim/Kam and nice of Duhamel to be outraged for them

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia

Wolfe as well, apparently per Jackie.

russell30

Final Flight
Has anyone seen Kuchvalska? Hope she's in better shape than earlier this season. I was really surprised to see her name on the list of entries. Wishing her a good competition at Worlds.

Not too sure what shape she will be in! I wouldn't be surprised if she does not make the cut, but good to see her here and hope she's back in full flight next season!

I understand she's keeping her SP and FS from last season :biggrin: