World's 2018 - Practice reports | Page 4 | Golden Skate

World's 2018 - Practice reports

Tavi...

Record Breaker
You're missing my point. I am not criticizing, I'm asking - what useful information do you get from a report who landed/ur'd/popped/fell on one of several hundred practices they do in a year. I wasn't commenting on the fact he is doing the reporting in general, but the jumps in practice. So far you gave one good point - layout changes. Anything else?

Umm. Since jumps are the highest value elements in a program, it should be pretty obvious that how skaters are jumping during official practices - as opposed to how they jumped two months ago under different conditions - is frequently reflective of how they will do in competition.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Wondering whose stuff is missing....Meghan Duhamel tweeted this:
Extremely disappointed in @lufthansa who lost the luggage and skates of two pairs skaters competing at #WorldFigure in Milan tomorrow!!! This is unacceptable 😡🤬 #findthosebags #Lufthansa #terribleservice

Isadora William' luggage was also lost, I think

yude

Record Breaker

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
He has been having boot problem since after the Olympics, it might have caused the pain. Kobayashi from JSF said "he is fine". But the health is most important, I hope he won't push too much. (personally, I believe he will do fine though)

https://www.asahi.com/articles/ASL3P1VCZL3PUTQP001.html
Thank you, hopefuly is like Kobayashi says.
Isadora William' luggage was also lost, I think

Her backpack was stolen with her computer inside. Not her skates or anything but terrible nonetheless.

That´s bad luck.

Logirl

On the Ice
He is working on his jump landings and many skaters have had issues with their foot.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Was at the arena today from 11 am to 8:45 pm. In general, practices were MUCH better attended today than yesterday (by spectators and skaters). I guess a lot of people DID have luggage issues and flight issues. Hopefully most of that is resolved by now. I'm just going from memory on some of this stuff, but wanted to write a few things:

Brendan Kerry - I see him as skating so much bigger now and trying to incorporate more total body movements. He always was Speedy Gonzalez, and he still looks the same in that department. I don't focus on the jumps too much cos I know Jackie W is reporting all that. I do remember that he had a few gorgeous 3As.

Boyang Jin - Received quite a hand from the audience. He gave us all a bit of heart attack when he did his 4Lz super close to the wall. Overall though, his jumps are stunning.

Jinseo Kim -- looking forward to what he has in store for us this year. He is doing Moonlight Sonata for his SP, and I thought he seemed to be really into his music. He was so emotional last year at Worlds when he received his SP scores. I hope this year he will make it to the free skate.

Keegan Messing -- What can I say? He always looks like he's glad to be at the party and really does get the most out of that small frame of his. He can get a little wild and out of control on his jumps at times, but I really hope he can deliver for Canada.

Max Aaron -- Max's jumps just weren't working well for him tonight. He took a couple falls and just soldiered on with his SP. Come on Max! You can do it! Funny when they introduced him, someone let out this big, long "WOO!" scream. I thought maybe Karne was in the audience! :scard7:

Mikhail Kolyada - he was wowing the crowd with some HUGE jumps. Just my personal opinion, but I still overall get the feeling that he just doesn't like his Elvis FS. But I thought at tonight's practice he sold it about as well as I've seen him sell it all year.Good practice for him...No Dmitri at practice tonight.

Shoma Uno -- crowd very disappointed and kept wondering if he was going to come back out on the ice. Hope he's ok.

Satoko Miyahara -- she looks stronger to me and seems to be skating with more power. That little bit of weight she put on was a good thing! Outside of her run through, she fell on one of her jumps. I did a double take because I couldn't remember if I had ever seen her fall before live! :eeking: Her jumps still seem on the tiny side, but she sure does rotate super fast. Her musicality amazes me. Very impressed with her.

Kailani Crane -- No jet lag for this gal! She looked great and sells her program with such energy. She filled the rink better this time than when I saw her at Sk Can where she seemed to spend too much time in one end of the rink. She did one of her 3 jump sequences right in front of us. Lookin good.

Isadora Williams (Brazil) -- just wanted to say I enjoyed her skate. Not sure if I've ever seen her live before.

PAIRS
Nate & Deanna -- A couple of their jumps just weren't there, but they look more and more polished each time I see them. I also thought they had a couple new styles of lifts / exits that I didn't see them do at Nats.

Aljona & Bruno -- what can I say that hasn't already been said. Great applause from the audience when they were introduced. They marked jumps and throws during their run through but went back and practiced that stuff after the run through. The speed of their spins never fails to amaze me.

Valentina & Ondrej -- their SP is a real winner (and sung in Italian) and I think is going to ignite the crowd into wild clapping during the competition. People were even clapping in the practice! And they really "ham" it up and make it fun.

Tarasova & Morozov -- oh dear, the Candy Man was alive and well and present today.

Arena temperature today - brrrr! It was cold! Dress warmly! Sitting on freezing cold seats doesn't help any. I saw lot of people drinking cappucino - no doubt to stay warm.

lyrichord

Rinkside
Maybe the reason for his foot issues are his jump landings?

He’s been trying to change jump technique since the Olympics to increase GOE. Also he’s been doing 9+ competitions three years in a row, which must contribute to boots wearing down in a shorter period of time. For comparison, Hanyu and Fernández never do more than seven a season. Maybe time to cut back.

Sportfan

Match Penalty
He’s been trying to change jump technique since the Olympics to increase GOE. Also he’s been doing 9+ competitions three years in a row, which must contribute to boots wearing down in a shorter period of time. For comparison, Hanyu and Fernández never do more than seven a season. Maybe time to cut back.

A little too late to change technique, he won't fix that in one month :laugh:
And it seems as if Hanyu and Fernandez are smarter- or at least their team

livetoskate

On the Ice
Arriba627, thank you for your detailed report! I almost went to Worlds but instead I'm sitting at home glued to the computer for news. Hope you manage to stay warm and have a wonderful time. I look forward to more of your posts!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You're missing my point. I am not criticizing, I'm asking - what useful information do you get from a report who landed/ur'd/popped/fell on one of several hundred practices they do in a year. I wasn't commenting on the fact he is doing the reporting in general, but the jumps in practice. So far you gave one good point - layout changes. Anything else?

OK ill bite.

I honestly seem to recall seeing people asking about people's jumps at practices back before Jackie started reporting. Honestly i feel like he sorta filled the hole that people were asking to be filled. We just don't see people asking about jumps because it is covered so well now, but i am pretty sure it used to be a thing and yes people care. Giving people what they ask for is fair game.

Also, lets be realistic about character counts. He can list a lot of jumps in one tweet very quickly. So it keeps the timeline tighter and to something you can glace at. I can scan his reports and very quickly get a feel for how people are doing. It provides a glace-able format. Other formats are great too, but again, no reason not to fill this hole too.

I also want to add that the guy basically relies on the kindness of fans to eat and drink at these things... literally he was thanking Misha Ge for feeding him today. This is what he feels comfortable doing and able to do it. It is manageable, and it is consistent. Maybe someday someone else can emerge and cover spins and steps and the like in a similar matter. I suspect they would be well received by fandom, skaters and Jackie.

colormyworld240

Medalist
I have to say I don't understand why Jackie Wong spends so much time on his practice reports where he only reports on jumps. Who cares what XY jumped in their daily practice? Why not also report on their spin or stsq levels?

Simple. Because most people don't do many spins and any step sequences in practice. And he's giving you a practice report. Therefore as the name implies, reporting on the practice. Where skaters don't do spins and step sequences much, but do jump a lot.

gftn

On the Ice
How many competition a skater does in a season is not up to them entirely, Nathan changed his booth every 5 weeks and Shoma every 3 months, the timing is just unfortunate. With Yuzu being injured and sitting out a lot of competition the JSF will have to rely on sending him out to represent Japan. This is not about who is smarter sometimes he just has to do what he has to do. Let's just wish them all well.

ps: It's never too late to better yourself maybe it won't happen in a month but he still have years to come :) it applies to all skaters too.

le01

Rinkside
It’s first time I’m watching figure skating live and I was shocked at how small the seats are, can’t fit my legs in this space so my knees are sticking out over seat in front of me. Also some seats are lower than others and when I had to fit my legs in this space it was just painful. I’m curious how this arena compares to others as maybe I’m just too tall to watch figure skating live?