Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov - ret. after 2016/17

LRK

Record Breaker

They'd already said that chances were that they'd do that. Honestly, I'm just so excited to see them back that, if they just skated in circles around the ice, I'd be happy.:) Besides, Clair de Lune was what made me fall in love with them and made me a fan, anyway.

I'm just glad they'll be back.:) Hopefully they'll have fresh, new programs for the season after - though I don't really like talking about things so far ahead.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Lombardia is held during the test skate though.

haha dummy me! ofc it is!:hslap:
Cant believe its so soon! Last year's test skates feel like yesterday!:biggrin:

They'd already said that chances were that they'd do that. Honestly, I'm just so excited to see them back that, if they just skated in circles around the ice, I'd be happy.:) Besides, Clair de Lune was what made me fall in love with them and made me a fan, anyway.

I'm just glad they'll be back.:) Hopefully they'll have fresh, new programs for the season after - though I don't really like talking about things so far ahead.
yeah yeah I know Im selfish & want smth new. but Im afraid the judges wont be that kind to a team using their past programs:( (Not that I care much about their placements to be honest I just want to admire the skating)

LRK

Record Breaker
haha dummy me! ofc it is!:hslap:
Cant believe its so soon! Last year's test skates feel like yesterday!:biggrin:

yeah yeah I know Im selfish & want smth new. but Im afraid the judges wont be that kind to a team using their past programs:( (Not that I care much about their placements to be honest I just want to admire the skating)

I do think that it's a legitimate worry - I don't doubt the judges might not like it, that they are skating to old programs; especially as they never were that favoured in PCS anyway. But... sometimes one must choose the lesser of two evils, and if they feel they cannot do two new programs justice, and don't want to bite off more than they can chew, then that may be the best choice under the circumstances.

And agreed re just admiring the skating.:) I don't really expect my Favourite pairs to place that high anyway - I'm used to their not, so when, for a change, they do, I'm just beyond thrilled. I won't be having too hight expectations for them placement-wise this season - but I'm glad they are back, as the possiblility seemed quite real that they wouldn't be.

Last edited:

Sweet Dream

Final Flight

Old programs again? I don't want to say much about their decisions, but currently they are really at a career low period of all time, so they might have no better choices. Still, the last thing I want to see from them is attempting for 2 quad throws in the LP, which is really dangerous for the skaters!

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
I do think that it's a legitimate worry - I don't doubt the judges might not like it, that they are skating to old programs; especially as they never were that favoured in PCS anyway. But... sometimes one must choose the lesser of two evils, and if they feel they cannot do two new programs justice, and don't want to bite off more than they can chew, then that may be the best choice under the circumstances.

And agreed re just admiring the skating.:) I don't really expect my Favourite pairs to place that high anyway - I'm used to their not, so when, for a change, they do, I'm just beyond thrilled. I won't be having too hight expectations for them placement-wise this season - but I'm glad they are back, as the possiblility seemed quite real that they wouldn't be.
yeah yeah the lesser of 2 evils is the right term
I still hope they can somehow change the programms even a little bit.
Hell I guess diff costumes will be enough :laugh:

Still, the last thing I want to see from them is attempting for 2 quad throws in the LP, which is really dangerous for the skaters!
oh obv I dont want them to! But who knows what they plan...

I spy someone familiar on the right :laugh::rofl:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJVZnXTBH2S/?taken-by=mikibear8

Last edited:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The October issue of International Figure Skating magazine has an article on Yuko and Sasha entitled "On the Rebound". It talks about the injuries that they have both sustained over the years and about her rehab from her recent tendon injury. They discuss the upcoming season.

Their participation in Skate Canada and Cup of China is dependent upon how quickly Kavaguti can regain her competitive form. "Step by step we will see how the progress of technical and physical recovery goes and what form the pair will achieve," said Moskvina. "Then we will decide where to compete, what elements to include, and what programs to skate." Kavaguti is already landing the double Axel and triple toe loops. "I have only started practicing again recently. Training full-time takes its toll physically. I have to really focus. There are days when things are going great and then the next day is totally the opposite. However, unlike last year, I feel that I am going to practices because I want to be there. It is much easier because of that."

There is still a lot of work to be done in preparation for the Russian national test skate in September and neither the team nor their coach is under any illusions about the tough road that lies ahead. "We intend to prepare for September but we definitely cannot push things, "Smirnov said. "We do not have a goal set for this season. We will train together on the ice and that is the most important thing." Moskvina said it's impossible to predict how Kavaguti and Smirnov will fare next season until they actually compete. "The three of us hope that they recover to the level they were at before the injury," she said.

Kavaguti is relishing the challenge to be ready on time. "For me, it is not about being a champion. You don't often hear about skaters who rupture their Achilles tendon and return to competition. At least, none of Tamara's skaters ever have. I want to show that even after such a major injury, you can come back and skate again. That is my motivation now."

Last edited:

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks so much, Arriba! What a lovely read - I wish them all the best, and admire Yuko and her fighting spirit so much!

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks so much, Arriba! What a lovely read - I wish them all the best, and admire Yuko and her fighting spirit so much!

She is quite an inspiration, isn't she. I didn't copy the whole article, but in it she was talking about getting on and off the bus with crutches and about all kinds of other things that sounded impossible. I give her all the credit in the world! I think when I'm complaining that my little toe hurts, I need to think of her! :)

LRK

Record Breaker
She is quite an inspiration, isn't she. I didn't copy the whole article, but in it she was talking about getting on and off the bus with crutches and about all kinds of other things that sounded impossible. I give her all the credit in the world! I think when I'm complaining that my little toe hurts, I need to think of her! :)

It is as if the injury, instead of making her downcast, reignited her fire. As if she feels that she wants to go out on her own terms - not being forced to quit by an injury. She's so... fierce.

Arriba627

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
huge thanks Arriba627 :clap::thank:
so today they skated their SP (the person havent said what prog)
& by the looks of it - to So so results
Yujo had a stepout, almost fell on a jump+ not very synchro spins

My pleasure. This news about the SP worries me. I remain hopeful for them, but this Achilles thing is not an easy injury to deal with. I still remain hopeful that I'll see them at Skate Canada, since it really is quite a ways off. I am sure they will be cautious though, so I guess all we can do is wait and hope and see what happens. I think we have all had times when we want to say to our bodies "Hurry up!" :) Too bad it doesn't work like that!

Sugarpova

Record Breaker
the vid doesnt work for me:sad21:
but it seems there was an event yesterday in connection to 1st Septenber (the beginning of the studying year) where KS took part in
Also Liza, Drmitriev, Petrov & Caro Kostner!

https://topspb.tv/news/news111963/#video

mini interview with Tamara Yuko & Alex
Basically what we already know
+ they said they will take part in a challenger!!

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
the vid doesnt work for me:sad21:
but it seems there was an event yesterday in connection to 1st Septenber (the beginning of the studying year) where KS took part in
Also Liza, Drmitriev, Petrov & Caro Kostner!

https://topspb.tv/news/news111963/#video

mini interview with Tamara Yuko & Alex
Basically what we already know
+ they said they will take part in a challenger!!

They seem to be in a better shape now. In the video their triple twist looks better?

Oh, I spot the little angel Nugumanova in the crowd! :love::laugh:

Last edited: