Thoughts on USFSA's U.S. Nationals wrapup video? | Golden Skate

Thoughts on USFSA's U.S. Nationals wrapup video?

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Does it bother anyone else that the USFSA has clearly snubbed Adam in their wrap up video of Nationals??

Adam won the silver medal!! Many see his LP as the highlight of Nationals and they don't show him even for a second.
I think there is clear favoritism in this sport and crooked judging and that is one of the reasons many have given up on it. It gets too frustrating after a while.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh please! At least Adam got a look-in for their Senior Men preview a couple of seasons back. The guy that almost won this Nationals if not for a third double-toe didn't make it!

The video was clearly made on Sunday BEFORE the Men's LP and ALL of the men got snubbed. It's not like Josh, Jason and Jeremy got miles of airtime; they got a couple of seconds between them. Let's recap: we got a two-second shot of Josh putting a soaker on his blade, a two-second shot of Jason removing his soakers, and a two-second shot of Jeremy (wiping tears?). That was the sum total of ALL of the men's event that got shown in this video.

The USFSA would be much smarter to leave the making of a recap video until after the event so they could include all of the event highlights - of which Adam's LP would undoubtedly be one. That Adam was left out on this occasion doesn't say anything - they showed brief flashes of the three men who were first, second and third after the SP, that was all. Otherwise why aren't you also getting cranky that Max is not shown at all in this video, in spite of being the ONLY man on the podium who landed a clean quad AND a clean quad combo?

Now, if you want to talk clear favouritism, let's talk about the Men's LP highlights video from 2013 Nationals. Tell me who you'd think that podium was just by watching this video, and you'd be completely wrong.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
There wasn't a clip of Max either. Or Madeline and Max Settlege (who both won pewter medals), though they included Castelli/Tran (6th). They included at least one clip of all the top 5 in Dance and the top 6 in ladies (+Christina Gao (11th)/ Amber Glenn (13th) /Christina Cleveland (21st) at one point?).

So I'm not sure really what the deal is....it just seems the video editor picked random moments and put it together.

Last year they published highlights of individual segments, so maybe we'll see one for the Men's FS.

Last edited:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sorry to go OT, but how were you linked to the private video? :p Did USFSA share it through an e-mail, or on facebook..?

eta: actually it's not private, it's unlisted. My bad.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... ALL of the men got snubbed. It's not like Josh, Jason and Jeremy got miles of airtime; they got a couple of seconds between them. Let's recap: we got a two-second shot of Josh putting a soaker on his blade, a two-second shot of Jason removing his soakers, and a two-second shot of Jeremy (wiping tears?). That was the sum total of ALL of the men's event that got shown in this video.

Agree that the men's discipline as a whole got snubbed in the USFS video, and I cannot fathom any excuse for why.

The video was not uploaded to YT until Feb 5, so it's not as if USFS were in a rush to publish it as soon as Nats ended or even before.

If someone thought it were important that Josh, Jason, and Jeremy be the only men included, at least some of their amazing skating should have been shown, for crying out loud.

And yes, I am mighty cranky that Max and Maddie/Max were left out.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Agree that the men's discipline as a whole got snubbed in the USFS video, and I cannot fathom any excuse for why.

The video was not uploaded to YT until Feb 5, so it's not as if USFS were in a rush to publish it as soon as Nats ended or even before.

If someone thought it were important that Josh, Jason, and Jeremy be the only men included, at least some of their amazing skating should have been shown, for crying out loud.

The video was, I think, the one that was shown on the jumbotron during the Gala, which of course was only an hour after the men's event concluded. But that's no excuse - they should have done a proper edit if they were then going to post it on Youtube. And of course that is no excuse at all for leaving Maddie/Max out of the original video.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The video was, I think, the one that was shown on the jumbotron during the Gala, which of course was only an hour after the men's event concluded. But that's no excuse - they should have done a proper edit if they were then going to post it on Youtube. And of course, that is no excuse at all for leaving Maddie/Max out of the original video.

And no excuse for not including snippets of Josh, Jason, and/or Jeremy actually skating their SPs.

But thanks for explaining about the showing on the Jumbotron during the gala. Had no idea.

When I first saw the video (before this thread was started), I thought about posting it in the "Has men's skating eclipsed ladies'?" thread as a counterexample. But I was so cranky about the video's deficiencies that I did not bother to.

The good news is that it was great to see pairs skating and ice dancing well-represented with actual skating (as well as off-ice shots). But I'm still sad about the absence of Maddie/Max.

I suppose I should just be happy that USFS posted this off-ice photo of Max S. that I think was taken during the gala.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I almost wonder if they contractually had to release it, but hated it so they burred it.

My feelings were like others, "wow they really don't care about the men here do they"

flutzy13

On the Ice
The video was, I think, the one that was shown on the jumbotron during the Gala, which of course was only an hour after the men's event concluded. But that's no excuse - they should have done a proper edit if they were then going to post it on Youtube. And of course that is no excuse at all for leaving Maddie/Max out of the original video.

Yes it was played in the arena as the intro to the Gala. I think that's the primary purpose- posting it on YT is just an afterthought. Given the time constraints, the lack of men's content is understandable. As far as posting it, I doubt USFS were going to reedit it so I think the options were post it as is or not post anything. I'm sure there are at least some fans who were happy to see it.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
USFSA has posted a new montage video, featuring a much larger variety of this year's skaters! They've set it to The Time of My Life as an excuse to post it on Valentine's Day...? :laugh:

And they've once again bungled it: how many times did we see Josh in this video? Twice!

And there were once again a lot more shots of pairs/dance/ladies than men. Huh?

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
And they've once again bungled it: how many times did we see Josh in this video? Twice!

And there were once again a lot more shots of pairs/dance/ladies than men. Huh?

Three times, no? But yeah it is really strange how little they showed the men, especially considering how amazing the top performances were. You'd think they would pimp Josh out especially hard, both for medaling & his looks :shrug:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Three times, no? But yeah it is really strange how little they showed the men, especially considering how amazing the top performances were. You'd think they would pimp Josh out especially hard, both for medaling & his looks :shrug:

Oh, good pick up. Yes, it was three times, but yeesh, given that Jeremy, Ross, and Ricky all got look-ins too, you'd think they'd have had a little more Josh.

But I give them bonus points for the inclusion of "Alas! I am slain!" dyingMax. :laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

To be fair, they probably edited this video before today. ;)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
USFSA has posted a new montage video, featuring a much larger variety of this year's skaters! They've set it to The Time of My Life as an excuse to post it on Valentine's Day...? :laugh:

Agree that more of swoon-worthy Joshua "Give Me Love" Farris should have been a no-brainer for what is billed as a Valentine's Day offering. ;)

But on the whole, this second video is quite an improvement. Thx for posting it, satinefire.

The addition of other men -- Max :yay: as well as Ross, Richard, Adam -- was a huge plus. And we saw the men actually skating this time.

Glad to see plenty of Maddie/Max, as we had wished for in this thread. Pleased that DeeDee/Simon and Jessica/Zach were included.
But more Tarah/Danny would have been nice.

Appreciated the shots of Mirai. :)

Happy that Stasia/Colin got a lot of recognition. Bittersweet watching Alex/Daniel together.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
To be fair, they probably edited this video before today. ;)

Josh was still a bronze medalist & handsome before today though...? :confused:

Agree that more of swoon-worthy Joshua "Give Me Love" Farris should have been a no-brainer for what is billed as a Valentine's Day offering. ;)

But on the whole, this second video is quite an improvement. Thx for posting it, satinefire.

sabinfire & I have become one apparently? :slink:

:laugh:

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

sabinfire & I have become one apparently? :slink:

:laugh:

Ah! Okay. I thought you were referring to his 4CC medal. Sleep deprived pregnant brain at work!

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
@Mrs.P that's ok :)

@golden411 that's also ok! I did a double-take at first but I thought it was pretty funny :laugh::thumbsup:

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Aaaawww, I really like you - makes me feel way better about my own fangirly moments ;)

For the video, it's really weird there is so little of Josh... but we did get his gorgeous spread eagle, so it could have been worse, I guess.