Team U.S.A Fan Page | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Team U.S.A Fan Page

kwanette

Final Flight
I don't know if it is underhanded or just clueless.

Honestly, I suspect they were planning to send Max all along unless something strange happened. I actually wonder if the reason he was working on new programs was that he knew he was likely to get it and wanted to put to bed this year first.

Normally Max would have/should have been sent to 4CCs but this year was weird as the top three guys all had their own legitimate and different reasons for wanting to go. They could have just named Max then, but maybe they did not want to get locked into who goes to WTT. Is it the highest ranked, or highest ranked at worlds? They may not have wanted to announce Max and have no control over the second skater. So I think it was a "we want Max there but want to reserve the right to screw him over it worlds goes strangely" type thing.

And let's not forget. . . we don't know what has been said between skaters. For all we know Adam and Josh were "meh" on the whole thing.

And is the USFSA really that much worse than countries that have private mystery test skates and what not?

I am standing by that I am happy the top four all got love and support and some kind of post national assignments. I am going to focus on that rather than what would have been better.

Adam definitely was NOT "meh" about the whole thing. He tweeted after Worlds that he was hoping to be named to WTT. Can't speak for Josh. In truth, with the prize money and the fact the skaters love to skate in Japan, I would imagine most would want to go. I have no idea about the practices in other countries, but USFS is not clueless. Calculating is more like it..And, balless, too.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And it's not like sending Max weakens the WTT team. It's a pretty strong men's team.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Forgive me for asking, but how does it work - does each singles skater perform a SP and a FS or is it split like at the Olympics?

And on the topic of skaters - I am very glad for Max. He was the very first person to congratulate Jason on his Nats win - incredibly classy of him. I hope he does really well - he deserves it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Forgive me for asking, but how does it work - does each singles skater perform a SP and a FS or is it split like at the Olympics?

And on the topic of skaters - I am very glad for Max. He was the very first person to congratulate Jason on his Nats win - incredibly classy of him. I hope he does really well - he deserves it.

Everyone does both the SP/SD and FS/FD.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I believe everyone performs.

And agree that Max was very classy at Nationals. Not only was he the first to congratulate Jason, he made it a point to stay around them and congratulate both Kori and Rohene as well. In the footage you can actually see him waiting to give Rohene a hug. He did not have to do that, but clearly he felt it was the right thing to do.

katmari

Final Flight
Country
United-States
And agree that Max was very classy at Nationals. Not only was he the first to congratulate Jason, he made it a point to stay around them and congratulate both Kori and Rohene as well. In the footage you can actually see him waiting to give Rohene a hug. He did not have to do that, but clearly he felt it was the right thing to do.

Max also sent out a very nice tweet before worlds wishing all the best for Team USA. I am very happy with his selection to WTT! :thumbsup:

:cheer2: Go Jason! Go Max! :cheer:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Max also sent out a very nice tweet before worlds wishing all the best for Team USA. I am very happy with his selection to WTT! :thumbsup:

:cheer2: Go Jason! Go Max! :cheer:

He did indeed, and as Stitch said, he also waited to congratulate Kori and Rohene as well. All of these things really impressed me.

What Jason and Max share is that they're both really strong competitors. But they're kind of like yin and yang in the TES and PCS departments. Maybe USFS is putting them together in the hopes that each will inspire and influence the other a bit and produce a stronger all around team. ;)

ETA: thx to Mrs P and Stitch for responding to my question. I'm glad we will get to see two programs from each.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Max may not be my favorite skater, but to dump on him because he was chosen for WTT is silly. The decision was made by the USFSA not Max. It is the same as when people dumped on Ashley because the USFSA chose her for the 2014 Olympics over Marai.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not in here, maybe. But there are other places I can't even bear to go right now.

The way some people are talking, you'd think Evil Terrible Max drew his Gladiator sword (as un-artistically as possible, of course) and threw poor sweet innocent Adam off the team himself.

While I am happy for Max I feel bad for Aaron. If life were fair and it isn't then if Adam fails to make the team they should drop Max for something after all what is good for the goose is good for the gander so to speak. Who knows this might be Adam's only chance.

TMC

Record Breaker
Adam is definitely not meh about going/not going to WTT. He just retweeted many tweets questioning the choice of leaving him home :(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I hope that Josh finally is able to enjoy some skiing in Colorado :). A month ago, he had tweeted a mock ;) complaint that he had to wait to do so ... meaning until after Worlds, of course.

While I am happy for Max I feel bad for Aaron. ... Who knows this might be Adam's only chance.

Huh? :confused2:
Adam's only chance for what? Rippon competed at WTT in 2012.

Last edited:

IleK

On the Ice
No they did not. WTT has not been held since 2013. It is every other year.

Not "getting" someone's style is not even remotely valid criteria for them to not get an assignment.

That was me personal taste and has nothing to do with the criteria. Read it again, I said Adam deserved to go for being on the worlds team and for keeping the 3 spots. The fact that I don't like Max style is just my own taste which has to do with me being disappointed and I really wanted to see Adam's programs again. I hope the same "criteria" will be applied also when Adam will not make the worlds team. I know that the national bronze medalist often get replaced in other competitons but Adam is the silver medalist and he was doing well. Good luck to Max, I hope he nails his quads if this is what he was sent for. And I like his quads and triple axels but that's kind of all.

IleK

On the Ice
My point was that if Max had not done well at a Worlds last year, it might not have been possible for Adam to go to Worlds this year - USFS would have had to choose between Adam and Josh, and it's not a foregone conclusion that they would have chosen Adam.

Well, Adam was in second place. I don't know if there was something to choose. At least, until now the gold an silver medalist went to worlds. I don't mean to diminuish Max accomplisments. Anyway what's done it's done. I hope Max will appreciated it and have a good skate and Adam will not be disappointed but motivated to make the worlds team again. Go Team USA! I can't wait to see Ashley deliver 2 clean programs like she usually does at WTT. And I hope to see that from Gracie too.

TMC

Record Breaker
Well, Adam was in second place. I don't know if there was something to choose. At least, until now the gold an silver medalist went to worlds. I don't mean to diminuish Max accomplisments. Anyway what's done it's done. I hope Max will appreciated it and have a good skate and Adam will not be disappointed but motivated to make the worlds team again. Go Team USA! I can't wait to see Ashley deliver 2 clean programs like she usually does at WTT. And I hope to see that from Gracie too.

Last year the silver medalist didn't though ;)

IleK

On the Ice
Last year the silver medalist didn't though ;)

That was because of the Olympics and guess who got the favor. Max is a lucky guy:). But you are right. The USFS is playing too much with our nerves. I guess they like the drama. I suppose they don't have enough faith in Adam and this is his fault. He has to deliver more and get rid of that quad lutz. Him and Jason are not made for quads but they can do everything else in high quality.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
but Adam is the silver medalist and he was doing well

Um, I think we might have different ideas of what "doing well" entails.

That was because of the Olympics and guess who got the favor. Max is a lucky guy:).

Max didn't get any favours last year. A favour would have been putting him on the Olympic team in someone else's place. Selecting him for Worlds fit perfectly with the USFSA's published selection criteria, as has been discussed here. Max met more of the criteria than Jason did at that point and at any rate I honestly believe that the USFSA thought that Jeremy was going to call it quits after the Olympics.

This is such a stupid discussion. If you gave Max the option of trading his Worlds place last year for the Olympics, and trading his WTT place this year for Worlds, I'd wager he'd do it in a heartbeat.