2024 Team Japan - preliminary list | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2024 Team Japan - preliminary list

KiraraChin

Medalist
@rabidline @Jumping_Bean I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. For me, psychologically, the piece of paper makes a huge difference, as I think the mental aspect (which is also highly influenced by political circumstances) has a huge impact on figure skating performance.

I hope you guys enjoy Japanese nationals and find joy and excitement in it. I'm off to focus on Christmas shopping I guess... 🎅🎁

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The Table of candidates by JSF - WC, Sr. women

Sr. women
3 spots
CriteriaCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot1. Nationals-championTBD--------
2nd spot2-A. Nationals - 2nd & 3rd placementsTBDTBD------
2nd2-B. GPF: top 2 placementsKaoriHana*Rion----
2nd 2-C. Top 3 by Seasonal Best (ISU)KaoriHanaRinka*Rino--
3rd spot3-A. Skater(s) left out from 2nd spot selectionTBATBA------
3rd3-A. Skater(s) left out from 2nd spot selectionKaoriHana*Rion----
3rd3-A. Skater(s) left out from 2nd spot selectionKaoriHanaRinka*Rino--
3rd3-B. Top 3 by World Standing (ISU)KaoriMaiRinka*Hana*Mone
3rd3-C. Top 3 by SWR (ISU)KaoriHanaRinka*Rion*Mone
3rd3-D. Top 3 of average scores (from selected international/domestic competitions)KaoriHanaRion*Rinka*Yuna

icewhite

Record Breaker
I always dislike when important selections and funding depend on just one competition. Everyone has a bad day now and then. It becomes a pure gamble if you have your bad day at the most important time and that's all that counts. Say you slept badly, you have a cold, whatever. And then nothing you did the whole year long is supposed to count?
I think Shoma, Yuma and Kaori do not have to prove that they are among the 3 best skaters in their country in their discipline. You could argue about Hana. Personally I love her, but okay, I see that it might be controversial whether she should be absolutely set. But overall I am always in favour of a certain body of work - we are not talking about results from years ago but from this very season.

Jumping_Bean

Record Breaker
@rabidline @Jumping_Bean I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. For me, psychologically, the piece of paper makes a huge difference, as I think the mental aspect (which is also highly influenced by political circumstances) has a huge impact on figure skating performance.

I hope you guys enjoy Japanese nationals and find joy and excitement in it. I'm off to focus on Christmas shopping I guess... 🎅🎁
I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this - Just a little reminder that winning Nationals still guarantees you a Worlds spot & placing on the podium is still a selection criteria. Nothing has been taken from any skater, criteria have just been added, and at the end of the day, if there are more skaters fulfilling the criteria than there are spots (which is already the case), Nationals is still important to make a point.

Lots of luck with finding everything you need for Christmas 🎄🎁

rabidline

Final Flight
I mean to me it's always been the most nerve-wracking competition of the season... but I wish you well for your Christmas shopping.

figureskatingandrainbows

As Kao Miura once said, スケートって難しい
Record Breaker
Country
Olympic
I guess I'm a little confused as to how this is different from prior years? JSF has always had selection criteria that ranked skaters. Now, they published the list of that ranking, and it's basically what we expected. Yes, Shoma, Yuma, and Kaori are basically locks, but is anyone surprised? They've all done well this season, and haven't really given a reason for JSF to not send them. And the rest of the list is exactly who I expected. Some of the other skaters are lower in the rankings, but they are still in consideration for Worlds spots. Hana is maybe a little surprising, but she performed well on the GP series and if she underperforms drastically at Nationals, and Rion, Rino, and/or Rinka skates super well, she may be left home. The same applies for the third men's spot. Right now, Kao and Shun are ahead of Sota and Kazuki, but if either Sota or Kazuki (or even Koshiro) winds up on the podium convincingly ahead of the other 3, they will likely be sent as well. And the number of times I've heard world medalists say that their toughest competition is JNats is actually absurd. No skater will underperform, even if they're a "lock" - they all want to do their best and demand their spot.

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The Table of candidates by JSF - WC, Pair

Pair
3 spots
CriteriaCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot
2nd spot
3rd spot
A. Nationals-championshipTBDTBDTBD
B. The top placement from WS (ISU)Riku Miura
Ryuichi Kihara
----
C. The top placement from SB (ISU)Riku Miura
Ryuichi Kihara
----

The Table of candidates by JSF - WC, Ice dance

Ice dance
1 spot
CriteriaCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spotA. National ChampionshipsTBDTBDTBD
B. The top placement from WS (ISU)Misato Komatsubara
Takeru Komatsubara
----
C. The top placement from SB (ISU)Misato Komatsubara
Takeru Komatsubara
----

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
I'm surprised by the shock here, because none of these criteria are new. 😅 This is how JSF has done Worlds selections for a pretty decent amount of time already, they just usually didn't release these lists until after Nationals.
Exactly. This year’s criteria is the same as last year’s. In fact, the only difference I see is that JSF took my suggestion and now SB has more weight than World Standing. The only real difference here is that JSF just published the names beforehand. So I’m not understanding why just saying the names aloud makes such a big difference to some people since it should be already clear who the choices are if you’ve followed the season and remembered last year’s selection criteria.

In regards to the men, the general opinion all year was that Uno and Kagiyama are locks with the third spot being fought between Miura, Sato, Tomono, and Yamamoto.

This only means that any skater outside the block of names won’t be going to Worlds. And they shouldn’t because if you’re not considered in the first place it’s because of poor or mediocre international results.

The problem, like last year, is that the opposite isn’t true. There’s nothing that accounts for a poor performance at Nationals. I don’t expect this to be a problem for the men. I highly doubt that half the top men will skate poorly and the juniors aren’t strong enough to challenge.

Actually I don’t expect there to be an issue with the women this year, either, although there are junior girls that can challenge. There are more women that meet the criteria so I don’t think there will be a situation like last year.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
The interesting one is ice dance. Japan only has one spot for Worlds, right? And KoKo (apologies to their fans in advance) have been underwhelming so far this year and already been beaten by the youngsters. If AzuShin or UtaMasa win with a narrow margin, will JSF send them to Worlds? Or semi-break their own rules and send KoKo to Worlds and the winners to 4CC? You could argue that it doesn't matter either way, since there is zilch chance of a podium finish at Worlds regardless of which team they send. But I think they should send the winners regardless of which team it turns out to be. Japan needs to invest in the future of ice dance. KoKo have had all the opportunities possible and need to prove that they are still Japan's top ice dance team.

Dreamer57

Record Breaker
The interesting one is ice dance. Japan only has one spot for Worlds, right? And KoKo (apologies to their fans in advance) have been underwhelming so far this year and already been beaten by the youngsters. If AzuShin or UtaMasa win with a narrow margin, will JSF send them to Worlds? Or semi-break their own rules and send KoKo to Worlds and the winners to 4CC? You could argue that it doesn't matter either way, since there is zilch chance of a podium finish at Worlds regardless of which team they send. But I think they should send the winners regardless of which team it turns out to be. Japan needs to invest in the future of ice dance. KoKo have had all the opportunities possible and need to prove that they are still Japan's top ice dance team.
It is indeed interesting. If team Koko had to WD for any reason, would they still be considered based on meeting the other 2 criteria?

When there's only one spot on the worlds team, I think I prefer the body of work approach. (I like the Germany team method, which updates their document during the season.) However, each dance team (out of 3) has only had 1 international competition so far this season making it hard to compare them.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
For 4CC (3 spots):
CriterionCandidates
(in order of ranking)
A. Top 10 at NationalsTBD------------
B. Top 6 WSKaori SakamotoMai MiharaRinka WatanabeHana YoshidaMone ChibaRion Sumiyoshi
C. Top 6 SWRKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRinka WatanabeRion SumiyoshiMone ChibaRino Matsuike
D. Top 6 SBKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRinka WatanabeRino MatsuikeRion SumiyoshiWakaba Higuchi
E. Top 6 Average scoreKaori SakamotoHana YoshidaRion SumiyoshiRinka WatanabeYuna AokiWakaba Higuchi
For 4CC, @Jumping_Bean has kindly provided the list of candidates of women's under the discussions of JPN women's skaters. So I'm citing the table here.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
4CC, candidate men skaters to enter the competition:

Men
(3 spots)
CriterionCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot
2nd spot
3rd spot
A. Top 10 at NationalsTBD--------------
B. Top 6 from WS
(ISU)
ShomaKaoKazukiShunYumaSota
C. Top 6 from SWR (ISU)YumaKaoShomaShunSotaKazuki
D. Top 6 from SB (ISU)ShomaYumaKaoShunKazukiSota
E. Top 6 of Average score (from selected competitions)ShomaYumaShunKaoKazukiSota

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
For the pair and ice dance couples to enter 4CC, there was actually NO listed candidate for the two categories...(not sure why)

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
I didn't work on the ones for JWC; and now the Sr. men at nationals is finished, perhaps we can try the table again:

JWC men
3 spots
CriteriaCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot1. Jr. Nationals-championshipShunsuke*
2nd spot
3rd spot
2-A. Jr. Nationals 2nd and 3rd placementsRioTsudoi--
2-B. JGPF participantsRio----
2-C. Nationals top 3 placementShunsuke (14th)Rio (17th)Haru (18th)
2-D. Top 3 placement from SB (ISU)RioShunsukeDaiyaHaru
2-E. Top 3 of average scoreRioShunsukeHaruDaiya
*By the time this table was published, Shunsuke has fulfilled the selection requirement, as he's the champion of Jr. Nationals.

Very quickly adding the selections to Jr. ice dance and Jr. Pairs below:

Pair
1 spot
SelectionNote
1st spotSae Shimizu
Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda
Pending: Minimum TES to obtain

Ice dance
1 spot
SelectionNote
1st spotSara Kishimoto
Atsuhiko Tamura
*Sub
Kaho Yamashita
Yuto Nagata
(Pending: Minimum TES to obtain)

Last edited:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
And here's the table for JWC/Jr. women selection:

JWC men
3 spots
CriteriaCandidates
(in order of ranking)
1st spot1. Jr. Nationals-championshipMao*
2nd spot
3rd spot
2-A. Jr. Nationals 2nd and 3rd placementsIkuraRena--
2-B. JGPF participantsMaoRena--
2-C. Nationals top 3 placementTBDTBDTBD
2-D. Top 3 placement from SB (ISU)MaoHanaRinoRena
2-E. Top 3 of average scoreMaoRenaYoIkura
*By the time this table was published, Mao has fulfilled the selection requirement, as she's the champion of Jr. Nationals.

NB: it looks like Hana (Yoshida) and Rino (Matsuike) has been included in the list (still age eligible?), which implies if they might still be sent to JWC.